Sample Resume: Account Manager
Strong sales resumes showcase how you grow the business, keep the business, introduce new product, and keep your customers happy. I love writing resumes for sales professionals because frequently they work in organizations where performance metrics are tracked on a regular basis so they have a lot of good, tangible data to work with. Most know if they are meeting their revenue and retention goals and this is exactly the type of information hiring managers need to see on the resume.
The resume below for an account manager at a media company, was contributed by Laura Labovich, Chief Career Strategist at Aspire! Empower! Career Strategy Group and it is a great example of how key metrics can improve the quality of your resume and make you stand out in the crowd.
12350 Mayfair Street ● North Hills, CA 91344 ● 858.237.1257 ● email@example.com
account executive / account manager
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Experienced account executive with more than two decades of demonstrated success developing new business in the professional corporate marketplace, and managing and growing existing accounts...utilize consultative selling techniques to customize services in complex, multiple-level decision making environments.
Consistently surpassed 130% of sales quotas... recognized as a top achiever... call on key decision-makers, create persuasive account strategies, and build a high degree of credibility and integrity in a competitive marketplace... identify opportunities, develop focus and strategy, and provide tactical business solutions.
Talented and personable professional with a finely tuned service orientation and ability to make integrity and customer service prime differentiators in the market... friendly, organized, natural rapport-builder... keen ability to develop lasting relationships with new and existing customers through careful listening skills, attention to detail, and service delivery beyond expectation.
sales skills & competencies
New Business Development & Growth ▪ Sales Process Improvement
Staff Development & Training ▪ Territory Development ▪ Negotiation ▪ Thought Leadership
Print and Online Media Industry Expertise ▪ Client Service & Allegiance ▪ Strategic Long-Range Planning
sales experience and achievements
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE - Northern Star, Los Angeles, CA ● 2002 – 2007
Northern Star is America's 3rd largest employee-owned media company, operating businesses in publishing, interactive and broadcasting, including 11 daily newspapers.
- Solicited new business for Caravan Express, a high-end real estate trade publication, and Homes and Open Houses, an upscale companion magazine. Prepared sales proposals for prospects and called on licensed agents, brokers and affiliates (stagers, mortgage bankers, interior designers and contractors) throughout West Los Angeles. Oversaw the entire account management life cycle; handled client inquiries and diffused challenging situations.
- Boosted existing revenue stream by recommending the infusion of additional color throughout publication. Instrumental in establishing 40 new color pages in magazine, driving an estimated $1.2M incremental annual revenue.
- Oversaw placement of ads for home inventory listed up to $25M, ensuring that clients received the best possible ad placement.
- Grew account base by 30% in 2004 over 2003.
- Received Distinguished Achievement Awards, Silver Club 2004, Diamond Club 2005 as a result of exemplary sales performance, thorough product knowledge and sound sales techniques.
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE - Smith Publications, Inc., Chatsworth, CA ● 2001 - 2002
Smith Publications is the second-largest operator in the U.S. and an industry leader in developing and launching innovative video, data and voice services.
- Developed new ad business through cable media, sold commercial spots throughout regional and national publications in the Smith Publication family and across multiple brand properties. Utilized various upsell techniques, prepared sales proposals, conducted research and delivered sales presentations to secure new client base. Worked with clients to create multi-prong, multi-media ad campaigns.
- Expanded into new markets. Built a broad, diversified and loyal customer base with leading regional and national companies.
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE - Tribune Companies, Woodland Hills, CA ● 1987 - 2000
Proactively sought out sales opportunities within the automotive industry. Worked with Owners and General Managers of dealerships on daily basis to create compelling ad campaigns, layout and copy design. Prepared sales proposals, made sales presentations targeted at increasing sales territory revenue. Took proactive measures to ensure unexpected clients situations reached resolution.
- Received Monthly Managers and Quarterly Directors Awards for exceeding sales quotas up to 130% of goal.
- Handled over $2.5M in annual revenue, with many clients spending $75k per month in print publication alone.
- Negotiated and secured a $1M annual contract, the largest dollar contract at the time, with auto dealership running at about $80k per month.
- Instrumental in the establishment of the Daily News' online web presence, enabling dealers to showcase inventory online.
- Spontaneously hand-sketched unique and compelling ads for clients. Followed up with art department to create a mock up based on client approved sketch, wowing clients again and again.
education & training
Los Angeles Valley College / Business Administration
Jim Doyle & Associates "How To Be the Best" ● Brian Tracy International ● Cable Advertising Bureau
Sjodin Communications ● Excellence Planning Systems
Barbara Safani, owner of Career Solvers, has over fifteen years of experience in career management, recruiting, executive coaching, and organizational development.
Barbara partners with both Fortune 100 companies and individuals to deliver targeted programs focusing on resume development, job search strategies, networking, interviewing, salary negotiation skills, and online identity management.
She is the author of Happy About My Resume: 50 Tips For Building a Better Document to Secure a Brighter Future and #JOBSEARCHtweet and her award-winning resumes are featured in dozens of career-related publications.