Audrey's cover letter not only speaks to her skills as a graphic designer, but also showcases specific achievements that will resonate with her reader. This cover letter was written as a direct response to a job posting.
Each bullet point in the letter addresses a competency that was listed as a requirement on the posting. By trying to match the job requirements as closely as possible to your experience, you increase the chances of being viewed as a desirable candidate by the hiring manager.
10 Pace Street • Newark, NJ 07101
Cell: 201-222-788 • Home: 201-982-2929 • firstname.lastname@example.org
June 10, 2010
Mr. Adam Pascal, Art Director
1450 6th Avenue
New York, NY 10036
Dear Mr. Pascal:
"Design is directed toward human beings. To design is to solve human problems by identifying them and executing the best solution." Ivan Chermayeff, contemporary designer
Offering creative design solutions to solve business problems is what I do best. My clients come to me with a business problem they are struggling with and I partner with them to develop exciting and flexible marketing collaterals that build brand awareness, promote product benefits, enhance the product's professional appearance, and in turn contribute to sustained ROI for their business. Cognizant of the importance of balancing the client's needs and vision with practical and cost-efficient design formats, I strive to develop solutions that are inviting and interesting but also mirror the client's core values and mission. My key design accomplishments are highlighted below.
• Redesigned close to a dozen icons for Techno Source's two leading publications; incorporated "hip" and fun design elements without diminishing the straightforward, serious, male-oriented look of the magazines.
• Initiated bold new color choices for Mouse and TechSuite magazines that gave publications a new look while remaining consistent with magazines' mission.
• Introduced hand-rendered components to abovementioned magazines including illustrations, charts, and diagrams to improve formatting and design.
• Significantly improved aesthetics, formatting, and navigation of text-heavy university website.
• Doubled revenues for specialty real estate firm in half a year by creating a unique marketing message and associated collaterals.
• Infused new life and renewed revenue stream into marketing campaigns for two area restaurants.
In addition to my design and production skills, I am fluent in Spanish and have collaborated with top-tier publishing houses to translate materials and resolve software and language incompatibilities.
I would welcome the chance to meet with you to discuss my qualifications in more detail and am confident that I can deliver results similar to those described above for your organization. I look forward to a personal interview.
Barbara Safani, owner of Career Solvers, has over fifteen years of experience in career management, recruiting, executive coaching, and organizational development.
Barbara partners with both Fortune 100 companies and individuals to deliver targeted programs focusing on resume development, job search strategies, networking, interviewing, salary negotiation skills, and online identity management.
She is the author of Happy About My Resume: 50 Tips For Building a Better Document to Secure a Brighter Future and #JOBSEARCHtweet and her award-winning resumes are featured in dozens of career-related publications.