Office Humor: Bad Customer Service Skills

By Geoff Roth

Last week we took a look at customer horror stories that would make many workers want to throw in the towel after having to deal with them. Time now to turn the tables, and look at some videos of customer-service horror stories. After looking at these, you may question that old adage, "The customer is always right."

Asleep on the job

When you think of bad customer service, one of the first things that pops into people's minds is "cable companies."

Well, here are a couple of videos to prove the point. This cable installer had to wait so long to talk to his own company on the phone while doing an installation, he fell asleep on the customer's couch!

Is that a cable guy or a NASCAR driver?

In the future, you may want to have your neighbors warn you if a cable installer is coming into the neighborhood so you can get your kids off the street.

Why was that souvenir I put in my bag broken?

Next in line after cable companies come the airlines. Truth in advertising, I am a little peeved myself these days because an airline asked me to check my carry-on bag recently due to a full flight -- and when I got it back, the camera I had in the bag was stolen. So, here's a tribute to baggage handlers that answers the question I posed above.

Do you really want to fly on this plane?

A passenger on a flight recorded what was going on, with no explanation until much later of why this was happening. And, this was before the plane even took off!

Hello, anyone home??

And finally, we turn to those lovely folk behind the counters of department stores. This guy sums up what bad customer service is all about.

So, next time you get some bad customer service or have a horrible experience thanks to a bad business, know that you are not alone.

Next: I Don't Get Paid Enough To Do This >>

Geoff Roth is a former TV news manager now teaching journalism at Hofstra University. He has hired hundreds of people and counseled both professionals and students as they hunt for jobs. Geoff is chronicling life after TV News at www.nomoredeadlines.com.

Sabra Brea

Trouble is illegals can't speak English and can't communicate with American customers. Also they get everything free medically that Americans, born here, legally here, can't get and that causes all our medical costs and bills to go up. Illegal is illegal. They are breaking the laws of the land.

June 19 2010 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CASSANDRA

AS FOR THOSE IDIOTS ENGROSSED WITH WATCHING TV AS OPPOSED TO SERVING THEIR CUSTOMERS....I WOULD OF STARTLED THEM ALL BY SCREAMING.."HEY"! "CAN SOMEONE STOP WATCHING THE DVD LONG ENOUGH TO SERVICE ME"? LOL! WTF???

June 19 2010 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CASSANDRA

I fly Southwest Airlines to my destinations. Fortunately for me, I have never had a baggage problem or bad customer service, ever!

I LOVE SOUTHWEST AIRLINES!

June 19 2010 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Reb

I'm sorry but there is just no excuse for anyone's baggage to be handled that way..irregardless of the circumstances, this young woman was blatantly irresponsible. If I were the person filming this, I would have recorded what I needed to and then I would have been off the plane and asking for security and management to be there to witness her actions. In addition, she would have heard what I personally thought of her (shit for brains)!

June 19 2010 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

In deptmatment stores years ago every person's bsg was searched. I think all airlines should have a rule which you sign before you take the job you will have to go through a screening to see if they are stealing from someone luggage also camera's both in room or on plane that does not have those boxes to watch the people from stealing your valubables. why do they warn you not to put important stuff in thier luggage. Can't they stop thier employees from stealing?

June 19 2010 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert in San Jose

I fly back and forth from CA to FL a few times a year. Each time going I pack a rull size bag with household stuff. This includes 2 full sets of dishes, water goblets, wine glasses, pilsner glasses and some now irreplacable serving pieces. I have not had one single thing broken in these 6 years. I DO use a lot of bubble wrap and I then try to put items in small cardboard boxes that I would normally recycle. I guess I have been pressing my luck by putting vases and the like in my carryon bad. I would get off a flight if an attrndant told me to check my carryon bag. If some moron has put their crap in your space, just remove it and place it in the asile. If enough people do that then the airlines will reign in those people who bring overstuffed bags onboard...

June 19 2010 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Npaleorelic

There's not enough space here for me to detail the absolute, lousy product Dell sold me and then put me through the ringer to fix it. Must have been on the phone for about 40 total hours over a four week period with a tech. A live tech visited my home four times in six weeks to replace same parts over and over. They sent me new OS disk to replace the ones that had errors and they did this four times....same errors on the disks each time preventing loading the program. They finally sent me a new replacement and it WAS THE SAME EXACT MODEL WITH SAME EXACT PROBLEMS. Lol...will never buy Dell again

June 19 2010 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bill van

WHAT WOULD U.S. OF WALMARTS DO? I owe my soul to the company store.

June 19 2010 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stan LOrenz

On the Ramp worker and the abuse of the luggage: As a former 40 year retiree of a major Airline and Ramp Instructor, this is a sorry show! The Rampworker should be FIRED. We teach no Baggage should be handled as that was shown on the video. First she was interested in her transfer or city bags and didn't want to wait for the other workers to get their baggage. Question one; Where is the foreman on that crew? Question two : Where is the Supervision? All Ramp workers are trained to wait till all baggage workers are present or get another cart and place the baggage that you don't take in that cart. At no time should baggage be placed on the ground or thrown as this worker did. We teach that you should treat all baggage as if it was your own! This worker must think no one is looking at her! WRONG your on stage the minute that aircraft pulls into the gate till it leaves. What the Airlines need is better training and Supervision!! See what happens when I retired in 1998 !!!

June 19 2010 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dennis Karoleski

Festinating how some of you try to justify this moron’s actions when she is plainly damaging other people’s property. Come on, people! Are you so brain washed and politically correct that you cannot distinguish correct behavior from obviously criminal behavior? I suppose you also find it perfectly acceptable to push your shopping cart into someone’s car, empty your dog on my lawn, throw your trash out the car window or park in the handicapped spot because you are in a hurry. I sometimes think we need to bring back public flogging for such total jerks.

June 19 2010 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply