I Interviewed at the Home Depot

I arrived at the Home Depot in Salinas, Calif. 10 minutes prior to my interview appointment time and checked in at the Return Counter as I had been instructed. I was a bit nervous, of course -- I hadn't interviewed for a job in over 30 years.

A former self-employed general contractor in my first year of retirement, I found (like many new retirees) that I still craved the daily routine of getting out of bed and heading off to bring home the bacon. So I had applied at the Home Depot, in search of gainful employment. I was pleasantly surprised when I received a phone call inviting me to interview.

-- See average salaries for workers at Home Depot.

Youthful interviewers

I went to the interview dressed business casual, sans the tie: polished black Florsheims, clean, pressed Dockers and a nicely ironed sports shirt. Being a little old-fashioned, I had considered wearing a suit and tie, but I thought that might be a tad over the top. After all, I was applying for an entry-level position, not to be president of the corporation.

Home Depots are busy places. I waited several minutes past the scheduled time of my interview for someone to come and meet me. I was finally greeted by a nice young woman -- the personnel director, I soon learned -- who led me through the expansive building to a tiny, windowless office far in the back of the facility. There I met the store manager, a fellow much younger than myself. It was actually an eerie feeling, to be offering up myself to review and approval by these youthful examiners, one young enough to be my son, the other my granddaughter.

But they were both friendly in a businesslike way, cordial but not overly familiar, and I was soon at ease in their presence. After a little introductory chit-chat, we got down to the brass tacks. I was encouraged by their description of the day-to-day functions of a Home Depot employee and the advancement and profit-sharing opportunities available to the staff through the corporate policies. It was an excellent presentation of the benefits of working for one of the largest debt-free companies in the world.

An experienced candidate

Then the conversation turned to me and my qualifications to join the Home Depot Associate Team. I outlined my long years as a builder -- and the familiarity with tools, materials, products and systems that accompanies such a profession -- as well as my previous experience as a retail hardware clerk back in my early 20s. They asked me many very general questions about building, remodeling and building repairs (to satisfy themselves that I was being truthful regarding my professed knowledge, I presumed) and a few specific ones about my personality and work habits, all of which I answered as truthfully as I could.

The interview lasted about 30 minutes, after which I was confident I had presented myself well. They both thanked me and I was dismissed with the promise I'd be contacted by telephone regarding their decision. I drove home eagerly to await that call. I didn't have to wait long. About three hours after I got back to the house, the store manager phoned to offer me a position as a kitchen designer in their Kitchen Cabinet department. I happily and thankfully accepted.

I'm sure all the factors (punctuality, dress, experience, eagerness and truthfulness both in the application and interview) that I presented added up to the successful outcome, but I'm betting the deciding factor was my professional and sincere demeanor -- reflecting their own -- that made them think I was Home Depot material.

Next: I Interviewed at UPS >>

Glomerol

Look up wage slavery on Wikipedia and/or do a You Tube search for Noam Chomsky's wage slavery video, for examples.
Bottom line: This corporate oligarchic system is ultimately self-defeating (read, unsustainable) and eventually will ratchet everything down to the "lowest common denominators"-- salaries, workloads, product and service-qualtiy, etc., until it collapses.
Own your own labour. Fight tooth and nail for it, or die a slave.

December 31 2012 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kym.hedrich

I know it's been awhile since anyone has responded to this particular posting......but, I have a question for anyone here.... I filled out an application for Home Depot sometime in the spring, roughly 8 months ago. I did not get any calls for a job at the time, and I believe it was due to not successfully passing the personality test. I reapplyed today, and thought I could retake the test, but it did not come back up. Is it a done deal, one chance? Do I need to go to the store kiask and try again? I wasn't really paying that much attention when I took the test, was just assessing it to complete later, but I must of clicked ok to send. Does anyone know anything about this?

December 04 2011 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison

i tried to apply, said i had to do it online & someone from another state would review my app and call me back. 6 months later i got an email saying they didn't hire me. very glad i don't work there now actually.

July 22 2011 at 7:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kristina cable

Thank you, Thant was helpful and very detailed, i have an interview tomorrow, and it helps to know what to expect.

February 17 2011 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

Only thing one needs to work at Home Depot is Do you have your green card, are you stupid enough to work for crap money, and odd hrs. If you answer yes your hired. Oh you can't speak English no problem our customers will train you.

February 16 2011 at 6:41 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
KITZER

I wonder how much HD paid this person to write this article!! I worked there for 5 years, so don't tell me this is a 'for real' situation! BOGUS all the way! Terry's comments are the truth!! Lying, cheating, stealing, alcohol and drugs, favoritism, laziness, etc., etc., etc!! All part of 'Business as Usual' at the 'pit' called HD!!!

February 16 2011 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

GIVE ME A BREAK! I worked at ELK RIVER, MN HD for 4 yrs-got cancer and asked for minimum nightly hours due to medical problems and adjustment to meds. The a%#hole manager said I needed to be available any hours. When I spoke up, he made some trumped up charge of "Insubordination". Yet, his TOP DH's are drunks, addicts and some who were to open the store showed up 30-45 mins. late, yet they are still there. They promote people that that stick their nose up mgt. ass. As someone that had 30 yrs in building construction-hey gave a "Pro desk" position to a woman (I'm also a woman) that didn't have a clue what a square of roofing was (now a cashier has that position and is driving every contractor nuts) The mgr. Jeff and HR , and his buddy Steve bought patio sets that were dropped down to 75% off the nite before, and when customers came in next morn, none were to be found-they bought all 4 sets. Next, last year, he pulled fire rings that were over $100, marked them down to $25 and, again the same ones bought ALL of them!Another Asst. mgr bought a $800 TV display for $100-I was told I needed to mark it down for him-HD SUCKS! If you're ill-YOU WILL BE GONE!!!!!!!

June 20 2010 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

I'm hoping this is for the HOME DEPOT comment

June 20 2010 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jordan

There probably gonna pay you 7.25 an hour (minimum wage) too. That isn't a JOB! Screw that, you cant even live on that if you worked OT. I won't take anything less than 14.00 to save my soul.

May 28 2010 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to jordan's comment
patricia houser

you may see the day you will be glad to work for 7.25 per hour.and by the way, money cannot "save your soul"
i am glad the interview worked out for the gentleman,for him, it probably wasnt all about the money anyway,but feeling useful and wanting to use his skills to help others.

May 30 2010 at 5:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamin

never say never! I think A bit of humble pie would do you some good!!!

June 20 2010 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marie Anne

Brush it off, Mike. Go look at the other comments he made. Apparently gets his jollies leaving nasty comments wherever he lands.

I still wish you were close enough to come do my reno work. I'm going to ask my contractor if there's anything we can do with my kitchen while he's got everything tore up, without breaking the bank.

May 28 2010 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply