How to Get a Job in Health Care

health care jobsThe Department of Labor estimates that between now and 2014 there will be a 30.3 percent increase in the number of health care jobs -- thanks to both the advancements taking place everyday in science and medicine, and the increasing number of elderly persons that require more health-care services as they age. In short, jobs within the health-care arena represent some of the most promising career pathways out there today; if you are looking for a hot job, look no further than the health-care sector.

But don't think you must be a doctor, nurse, or other medical professional to get a job in health care. With the projected growth in the health-care industry, there are many other jobs to fill.

"Many support positions in health care don't require certifications or nursing schools -- such as administrative roles, athletic trainers, physical therapy aides and other jobs that may have different requirements you can fit into," says Tammy Steele, senior vice president of Human Resources at Concentra, a leading provider of urgent care centers and work-site clinics.

Also, health-care-related facilities and services are widespread -- so these job openings are not only for everyone, but they are pervasive and everywhere, from coast to coast.

How to get a job in health care

"The biggest need we have with all of our jobs is getting candidates who have read the entire job description -- not just the title and address -- and who can present how they can satisfy the needs of the job and skills required," says Elizabeth McHugh, staff specialist at NextGen Healthcare, a health care technology company based in Horsham, Pa. To ensure that you are prepared and applying for the right jobs, McHugh recommends the following:

• Read the job requirements and address them in your résumé.
  • Keep your resume as short as reasonably possible because lengthy resumes are overwhelming to hiring managers and rarely get read in full.
  • Use an opening statement that briefly highlights your skills as they relate to the job you're applying for. Be sure to change this statement for each job that you apply for since not all jobs are the same.
  • Show up on time and be ready to ask questions. Show that you want to participate in the interview.
  • Do some research about the company before the interview.
  • Always be prepared with at least one question, even if you only ask what the next steps are in the hiring process.

There are no differences to getting a job in the health-care field, says John Erwin, Health care support services, CareNet President. "Our HR team looks for the same qualities that any HR staff would look for -- personality, understanding of the role, and professionalism. " Erwin does admit that his company appreciates referrals, so as an employee do not hesitate to recommend others for open positions at your company and for those who are seeking work. It never hurts to talk to your friends and family about where they are employed.

Test drive a job

If you'd like to test drive a job in a new industry or at a new company, try temping. "Another way to get a position at one of our companies is through a temporary-to-hire opportunity where you can demonstrate your skills on the job, says Lisa Harr, staffing supervisor at VSP Global in Rancho Cordova, Calif.

Next: Fastest Growing Jobs in Health Care

Rich

For Elisa in comment # 8. You missed the whole point, dear. You have been doing the job since 1979 which predates a lot of the coding practices that are currently required. I on the other hand, after being laid off from the financial investments portion of a well known bank that went belly up and given away to a competitor for next to nothing thanks to the government interceding, after deciding that I could have a good career in healthcare. And after a good deal of research deciding that Coding and Billing was the right choice within the healthcare industry found that while there are a number of jobs available the hiring requirements are such that a recent career school graduate has absolutly no chance of being hired. I agree on the importance of the coding profession, otherwise I probably would not have considered it. My complaint is with the predatory schools and lending institutions that make sure you do not get all of the information needed to make an educated decision. Shame on me for not doing more research before signing on the doted line.

June 01 2010 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
azimmermann33

As a widowed mom, I needed a fast and inexpensive way to get back into the job market. I took a five-week Certified Nursing Assistant Program that cost $800.00. It took me one month to get a $10.00 an hour job at a nursing home. I plan on advancing in the field by hopefully moving into nursing home administration with my BS and MA in social services. This was a quick way to start working in the field and put food on the table for my kids. The work is hard but very satisfying. I feel as though with my state certification I will always be employable. I have heard that working in private homes is "easier" because it is one-on-one and pays more. There are some CNAs who have started home daycare centers for the elderly and I think that with the aging baby boomers more employment opportunities will open up in the area of hospice, etc. I have also heard a lot of negative feedback about medical billing and coding, although the local community college offers a program in it. Check out schooling there first before any private institutions. The CNA programs in my area fill up very rapidly and there are many well-educated folks going into this area. I have also heard that it is better for those interested in nursing to bypass the LPN route vs. becoming an RN. But in this area the nursing programs are filled and take some time to get into. Definitely consider becoming a CNA to get your foot in the door and gain some experience while considering other options.

May 31 2010 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter Deziel

I want to start this by saying I am a physical therapist working for Concentra Urgent Care. I have worked for Concentra for over 13 years. I realize there was some confusion on the quote about the requirements to practice physical therapy. I believe this will be corrected.

I wanted to inform people that Concentra has been an excellent company for therapists to work for. It is one of the few corporations that believes it is important for therapists to belong to their national association, Concentra reimburses therapists for their yearly National and State APTA dues. Concentra also supports therapists in continuing their education; Concentra reimburses CME, helps with DPT reimbursement, and will pay for therapists to enroll with MTI (Manual Therapy Institute), to obtain a certification in Manual Therapy, which takes about 2.5 years.

In our clinics, each center is managed by a leadership team. The leadership team includes a physical therapist. The therapists are leaders in the center, and have an important voice about decisions made at a center. Finally our physicians are educated in the importance of therapy and the education requirements of a therapist. We are lucky enough that almost all of our prescriptions are “Evaluate and Treat”, this give our therapists the autonomy they seek.

All of this allows Concentra physical and occupational therapy to have outstanding outcomes. Concentra averages only 5.5 visits per referral. These type of outcomes are what our therapists strive for, and patients desire. Concentra can only obtain these type of outcomes with the dedication our excellent therapists.

Sincerely

Peter Deziel PT
Concentra Urgent Care

May 31 2010 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marty

Careerbuilder is BS, when you do a job seaech you realize that all these job sites have the same jobs. Why do we need all of these job sites when they have the same BS jobs? I did medical billing one year for an insurance company in 89 to 90, bet that experience won't count now. Anyway, the company trained us, no one wants to train you now. Experience needed, tired of everything and everybody.

May 31 2010 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aubrey Guattare

Well, my hubby did 8 yrs of school and makes 6 figures, so either way DPT, DNP, hes doing well and I know he works very hard.

May 29 2010 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Aubrey Guattare's comment
Raymour

Glad to hear it.

May 30 2011 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

Elisa, I don't know where you live but in NY no mone will even acknowledge you for a job without 2-3 years experience which I can understand, I am not disagreeing with you. I wam angry because when I initially spoke with the school they made it sound like upon graduation a job in the field would be no problem. I have since been told that school wasn't even necessary because once you get hired ( as a receptionist) they will trainto do the billing after a while. Still I graduated wit a 4.0 GPA, Presidents Club & Deans List & still no job. That was over one year ago & I am paying back a 10k studen loan with no job.

May 29 2010 at 7:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aubrey Guattare

Hi all. Sorry I didnt realize what Athletic Trainers do, I just know my hubby seems to have alot of resposibilty and deals with alot of hard cases. He works with people that have bad brain injuries, and many crippling dieases such as MS,Parkinson, & Alzheimers. He does the ordering and deciding on wheter they need walkers vs wheelchairs vs other and also makes the decision if they need to go to a nursing home or can be able to live at home safely. He works with the doctors of these people and has himself recommended certain tests for his patients to the doctor to run. Hes had an extensive medical training background and I'm very proud of him. I believe its all the schooling and medical background that allows Phyiscal Therapist to be able to obtain a Doctorate Degree and have the word Dr before their name versus fields that you can not obtain a Doctorate. Not all PTs do what he does some can just work w/ people that have hip and knee surgeries and get them to do excerises to strengthen themselves after surgery and thats it. PTs have a broad range of how far they want to push their skills. I believe my hubby takes the more challenging end of it. So again didnt want to offend anyone but I dont know if Athletic Trainers are doing what my hubby does but I could be wrong.

May 28 2010 at 10:13 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Aubrey Guattare's comment
Raymour

Dean's real hands on...

May 30 2011 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stan

Here we go again. The Pundits are telling us how to get a job using their so called expertise.

May 28 2010 at 7:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eddie

Most of these private schools are we used to call bums colleges...Chances are you will never get a job going to them...I totally believe if you apply at a hospital or any of the medical offices...If they see you are eager, and willing to learn, coming and looking very presentable, You have a good chance of finding a position that you will enjoy, and possibly lead into a better position...Im almost 72, and I believe if I wanted to get a good job in medical field, All I would have to do is apply with a positive attitude...I started my present job at age 60, didnt even give thought of my age, and have been there going on 13 years, and earn over 50 thousand a year...Im thinking of changing careers soon, and am sure Ill get whatever type of job I go out to get...I realize if they dont hire me, They are the looser...I have a lot to give...

May 28 2010 at 6:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jameshollowayfl

I have to disagree. I get calls from headjunters quite a bit for upper management jobs. I'm staying in my current position as the Risk Manager until I finish my DNP, but, having a terminal degree, a Certification in Risk Management, six sigmna, etc. opens the doors of opportunity to jobs all across the country.

May 28 2010 at 6:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply