Did anyone notice all of the "expert suggestions" were contributed by WOMEN? I think AOL is sexist! Try getting a man's perspective on how to do a resume and cover letter! We men do not want to come off and needy and overly pathetic. Sometimes HR people want you to get to the point and stop with all the flowery B.S. They can see right through it. At least I can.

December 02 2010 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

are we writing a cover letter or a Christmas newsletter? sidebars, tables, slogans AND a p.s.? really? personally if i saw all that clutter it would immediately be trashed! that being said, i do agree with a powerful, RELEVANT quote strategically placed. like Scotte said, represent yourself to your best ability and confidently stand behind the final product.

July 09 2010 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I agree, I've had two different interviews. Where a neighbor got me the interview, they were really hurting for expierenced workers. I had tons of experience & a really good work record, no problems. But yet both interviewers were very professional. Both men in their 40's, like myself. Only to tell me all this company kept doing was hired relatives usually of the bosse's & their young kid's friends as well. Who usually quit after a few days, weeks or months.

These were both good paying jobs as well. Only a handful left to go to college. The others were usually, high, or hung over & just lazy. Both interviews were the best I ever had in my life. Until the Human rescources people, both woman in their mid 30's-early 40's. Basically minutes later gave me the bum's rush, both very cocky & insulting. About my age & even being a Marine once.I found out later from the first interviewers. The warehouse head supervisors. These woman only hire young guys they think will eventually bed! I even had woman I knew who worked at both companies that this was common knowledge at these companies. Then they wondered why people just quit looking after awhile!

June 04 2010 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

No kidding LI,NY! I have interviews in the past where they were more nervous then me. Which I guess it was new for them to conduct. Or the fact I was once a marine scared them for some stupid reason. Like watching too many Hollyweird versions of psycho marines. I've had several interviewers & bosses. Tell me they liked my resume because it was only one page, simple, short & to the point. Also that it wasn't all prettied up all flashy with bright colored paper etc. Looking desperate, shouting look at me! Look at me! Like if they were made by grade school children on a high tech printer. Honstey is the best policey still in most cases. Unless their just looking for YES men who will kiss their butts 24-7. Which I wouldn't want to ever work for a company like that any way.

June 04 2010 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I have a new respect for cover letters after reading the article "Seven Ways to Improve Your Cover Letter and Get Your Application Noticed". Thanks.

June 04 2010 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I agree with swampshadow. I see advice in print every other week saying to do it one way and then read another saying just the opposite the next week. And Swampy, I got to tell you...while putting my rez out there for folks to see I was sent emails by two separate firms, neither of whom I contacted, telling me how bad my rez is and all the wonderful things they can do to improve it. They then go into detail recomending changes to be made to make it more attractive to bosses and recruiters. Then at the end they both say "by the way, if you're too busy or still don't get it, WE can write a perfect resume for you." The only difference between the two was the price. One wanted $400 and the other wanted half that much. Now you have to ask yourself, how much better can a $400 resume be than what I've written myself? And the answer is, not much.

June 04 2010 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

They seem to treat it like a game. Instead of concentrating on the qualfications of the candidate, they do things like this. The ironic thing is that they know nothing of the actual work you would be doing, and have a superficial understanding of what it entails-if at all.

June 04 2010 at 8:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I experienced all of this years ago. It's not easy being ahead of everyone else in this experience. But if you look to our political history of the last 30 years, much of this sort of employment abuse has been the result of Republican Administrations that deregulated standards, including certain worker's and civil rights. It is illegal to ask personal information or politcal views in an employment interview. It is also illegal to say that the candidate is "over qualified," as I had heard for so many years. It is the candidate's responsibility to remind the interviewer that personal questions have nothing to do with one's qualifications for hire. And while such things are illegal, these laws are uninforcible as long as the government allows them to be broken. So speak up, America!

June 04 2010 at 8:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

It might help if those who do the hiring would stop trying to trip up the people they are interviewing. Too many of those hiring act like total assholes.

June 04 2010 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Sanders

My PS's are often longer than the main body of text... I always thought it was weird, but I guess I was ahead of the game.

June 04 2010 at 8:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply