Bad Boss? Complain Here!

Whether you love or hate your boss, there's a site up where you can post your kudos and complaints -- and you can do it anonymously. It's called EBossWatch.com, and although you can use it to sing your boss's praises, the horror stories get a lot more attention.

According to EBossWatch.com, a recent nationwide study found that 37% of American workers, or about 54 million people, have been bullied at some point in their careers. Also, the study found that 62% of employers ignore the bullying problem and 45% of workplace bullying victims suffer stress-related health problems.

Take, for instance, the Worst Boss of the Year section, which involved a panel of workplace experts selecting and ranking the 25 Worst Bosses of 2009 who made headlines across the country and abroad. Several restaurant managers, a coroner, the former NASA inspector general, an NFL head coach, and a candidate running for US Congress were listed among the bad guys, the latter having been sued by a colleague for allegedly making sexual advances towards her and then trying to get her fired for refusing his sexual advances. And you thought your boss was bad!

Here are some of the other infringements that gained their perpetrators top ranking:

• The employees of a water distribution superintendent in Louisiana recorded a four-hour meeting in which the boss used hundreds of obscenities and ordered one of the supervisors to physically attack an equipment operator.

• Numerous eyewitnesses saw the head coach of the Oakland Raiders punch an assistant coach at the Raiders training camp in August. The assistant coach suffered a broken jaw from the attack.

• A manager at a US Army arsenal in Michigan was sued for workplace bullying and disability discrimination by a former soldier who received a Purple Heart and who lost his hand and suffered other serious injuries in an explosion while serving in Iraq.

• The owner of a sawmill in Virginia was sued by the EEOC for allegedly trying to kiss a number of female employees, making inappropriate sexual comments to female employees, and offering a female employee $100 if she would show him her breasts. One victim who complained to supervisors about the harassment was fired.

• The owner of several Mexican restaurants in New York City was sued for allegedly violating federal and state labor laws by withholding minimum wages, overtime compensation, misappropriating employee tips, retaliation, pregnancy discrimination, assault and battery, and creating a hostile work environment for numerous employees.

• The female kitchen manager at an American Legion Post in Minnesota was accused of sexually harassing a male bartender, grabbing his groin, trying to kiss him, and sexually propositioning him. The victim's complaints to supervisors were not investigated, and the victim ultimately quit several months later after developing ulcers and suffering from nightmares and depression.

The site gives the names and locations of these bad bosses as a deterrent for other bully boss behavior, but also as a warning to those who might be considering working for them. The site's motto is "Nobody should have to work with a jerk." There's a place for you to rate your own boss, and an area where you can search to find out if there are any complaints filed against your current boss, or the one you're considering working for.

An extensive "eBossWatch Boss Background Check" will cost you $19.95, and that includes searches of county and federal court records as well as local and national media sources to discover if your potential boss has ever been accused of infractions such as creating a hostile work environment, sexual harassment, or employment discrimination.

Or you can simply go on the site and anonymously vent about your bad boss for free.

You can do it here as well. Do you have a bad boss story? Are you tired of taking all that abuse? If you're mad as hell and you're not going to take it any more, feel free to rant away below.

Next: Worst Boss Stories...Ever! >>

Lisa Johnson Mandell

Lisa Johnson Mandell

Editor

Lisa Johnson Mandell is an award-winning multi-media journalist and author of Career Comeback--Repackage Yourself to Get the Job You Want.  Her work has been translated into 20 different languages, and she is a frequent expert guest and commentator on news and talk shows. She has been featured in The Wall St. Journal, on the CBS Early Show, NBC Today, CNBC, Fox Business News, Dr. Phil, Oprah.com and many other media outlets.  Lisa discusses her AOL pieces each week and interviews vital guests on the web TV show, This Week in Careers. Learn more on LisaJohnsonMandell.com.

Robert Gadol

I worked for pizza point in Miami shores on and off for the last10 years, I should have seen this coming, the more favors for the boss owner ashwani kumar the more hours you receive as a pizza delivery driver, after losing my job as a Chinese food driver, because my eyesight started to go bad due to retinitis, mr kumar rehired me, I informed him of my eyes and he suggested I just worked daytime, I went to the eye hospital were I was told I could not drive until my eyesight got better, during this time I repainted the outside building of pizza point, redid the garden outside pizza point, after my eyesight returned I was given 3 1/2 days of work as a driver, still giving of fixing and repairing most everytning at pizza point, bleaching the sidewalk, trying to remove the odor of the urinal in the mens room, cementing and sloping the rear of the building, repainting the blacktop in the parking lot and putting the dividing lines between the parking places, buying potted plants to beautifying the dining room, fixing and repairing the kitchen sink, and working a full week, these are 12hour shifts 11-11 after one of the drivers quit, mr kumar hired two new drivers told me to take a few days off, 2 is a couple 3 is a few on my 3rd day i received a text message on my phone "thanks for every thing I need you no more" I don't know who is the bigger A.. hole me or mr kumar

February 13 2014 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tawana Smith Edgars

The bosses at American Resale Thrift Store in Alabama are just about the worst I've ever had the sorry priviledge of coming in contact with. The stores aren't actually actually charitable organizations like Goodwill and the Salvation Army. America's Thrift Store is a For Profit Thrift Store and they give a very small amount to their ministries (Kings Ranch and Hannah's Home). The bosses really crack the whip and they make their employees feel like they're low down dirty dogs. They'd carry around whips and whoopin' belts if they could get away with it. They want their workers to work like they've got eight arms and the speed of an automated assembly line. It's crazy. No worker stays more than a couple of months since they get so tired of being berated and put down constantly.

April 21 2013 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wanda

My boss is very power happy I work at a assisted living and she is the worse boss I have ever had she treats her staff like they are below her feet she is very hateful to very one a staff member took some boxes home and just because someone else wanted them she made the staff member bring them back my god they were boxes she goes against the state laws real bad i hate this woman all she does is sit in her chair and drink pepsi and eats chocolate candy she as big as a farm she just isn't a very nice person.

August 18 2010 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
n

Where I work the manipulative girl who is a thief to booth somehow won over the boss and was given an assistant manager over us. She hates him but in front of him smiles and purrs. In the meantime the one who works hardest is not recognized.

July 17 2010 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christy H

Every day I see hear and am a part of inadequate management. I see incompetant mangers treat their employees terribly and make rash decisions based on bull just so they won't have to deal with the real issues and problems -too much work effort. I have also been punished, and retaliated for being dedicated and honest and hard working. All by people who sit at their desks on the phone all day laughing and joking away while I am in a non airconditioned area swelting through 90 plus degrees to 103 and higher degrees and in the winter colder than 40 degrees. And yes I understand! We have created self centered manipulative self focused people by giving our children everything not letting them understand the need to work for it, earn it and no they just aren't entitled to everything contrary to popular belief! I have worked many jobs sometimes 2 1/2 for periods to get all my bills paid and keep everything together. SOme of these people have had everything handed to them and get everything they want whenever they want. THATS the problem! Values, respect, and regard for others and responsibilities MUST be taught and learned during childhood by responsible caring parents! And CAring, responsible teachers and social structures. If this is not done by the time a person reaches13 or 13 well they have already been indocterinated into manipulation, evil, sneaky self centered tricks and behavior patterns! My ex's son was an expert at manipulation, deviousness and self centeredness! No one was safe or immmune either!

July 15 2010 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Olivia

Thank you for this opportunity to vent. I worked for a very large grocery chain as a cashier. I worked there for two years. I never took time off, always came in at a moments notice when someone called off, and was never late.
I requested my earned vacation and management lost my request, so I came in to work because I was on the schedule. I submitted another form for the following week. I later learned that I needed to give two weeks notice for vacation requests. I had given 12 days. Well, on the day that I was
supposed to be on vacation but came in to work, my husband was going for a blood test. While at work, a woman customer swindled me out of $10. The customer behind her said, "if I didn't know better, I'd think you're running $5's on her." She was. I didn't catch it. The very next day, I was brought in and fired. I explained that I had a life and death situation at home. I said that I would need to continue my benefits. I came home fired and my husband's test results came back. He had cancer. I lost my husband and my job in the same month. He died due to pancreatic cancer 23 days after my termination. They also took away my earned vacation pay.

The union representative said that a grievance would be filed, but nothing was done on my behalf. NOT ONLY DID THEY ATTEMPT TO TAKE AWAY MY HUSBAND'S LIFE INSURANCE BENEFITS AFTER I SPECIFICALLY REQUESTED THAT MY BENEFITS BE CONTINUED, THEY HAD JUDGES FORCE ME TO PAY BACK NEARLY $1,000.00 I HAD CONTRIBUTED INTO UNEMPLOYMENT. IF I DIDN'T, THEY WERE GOING TO ASSESS INTEREST, FINES AND CHARGES.

Now, I will vent! The person managing the store should not be at this store, as the person is racist. I saw the person go back into their office and MIMIC the customer complaining.

When my husband told the person in charge of the union that he had cancer, the person said that he would be prayed for.
Is that what I was paying union dues for?

They have decided to keep as employees; one in the cash office, and the other a manager, who discussed, in my presence selling, buying, and use of an illegal substance. This person has had pot parties with other employees.
I know it is hearsay, but I'm repeating what I heard from several sources. I'm not a prude but I do not believe the workplace should be used to transact illegal substances.

On Christmas Eve, I worked my shift on a cement floor. (Everyone else had a pad.) Rain was dripping from the ceiling on customers and myself. The person in charge checked it and decided that it was negligible. My knee started bothering me after that day.

Last, but not least,in two separate incidents, I was asked to spank a manager in the cash office, and jokingly? asked by a woman manager to go home with her.

p.s. I changed my name because I am afraid of a lawsuit!

In conclusion, big business has no heart any more. I should have been allowed to take off time

July 15 2010 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda

In 1993, I was laid of from a job and was on unemployment for a year. I am female and in 1994 I went to work for a very high end crystal and china retail outlet. I went in this brand new store as the shipping and receiving clerk. We had to completely stock the store, display all the merchandise and get it ready to open. I had a very nice caring manager and asst. manager. We all work together great and got along very well. The store was beautiful. I really exceeded in displaying the crystal and china. I loved working in displays. It was hard work and heavy work. This went on for about 2 years. The assistant manager went on to bigger things and left. I was promoted to asst. manager. I worked as the asst. manager for about 2 years. When in came a new regional manager. The manager of the store knew what was going to happen, as she had worked in retail before and she gave her two week notice. She warned me that I would not get the manager position but I took the chance anyway. Knowing what my manager told me I stayed on expecting to be promoted to manager. I ran the store for about 6 months and even put in my resume for the position. For 6 to 8 months while the regional manager got thing together I ran the store at the manager level but got asst. manager pay. Now remember this store was my baby I had been there since the day it opened. I knew how to run the store and did my job good. The regional manager, who came from a luggage retail store, over looked me for a lady that had worked for him in a luggage retail store. This is how retail worked. He nor she had any knowledge or skill of how to display or run a crystal and china store. I thought since she had more knowledge and skill of how to run a retail store in general I would make the best of a bad situation. I trained this woman for the next 8 months on displaying, paper work, payroll everything. About 1 month into being hired she hired a lady that was her assistant at the luggage store that she had come from. She started giving me bad reviews to her boss and critizing my work. She did the schedule so of course I worked all of the holiday and most weekends, while she and her assistant took days off at a time. Working close to 50 hours a week I didn't even get two days off together. She took advantage of my salary pay. My last evaluation was bad, especially the last one before I quit. Three days after I gave my notice she promoted her previous assistant to assistant manager. After I left I thought how stupid can you get, I should have listen to my manager that left and quit when she did. I did not realize how retail worked until I went to work for one. Never would I work for a retail again. This high end store was the very prestegious Waterford Wedgwood Outlet.

July 11 2010 at 4:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Ashcraft

I had a boss who was so hated that somebody left a coffee can out anonymously. The open can had a sign that said, "Money to assassinate (boss's name)!" There were over three dollars in there.

I had another boss who was also despiced. When I finally gave my two weeks notice, I was given an exit interview. The boss asked me why I was leaving. I told him that I didn't want to be a suspect in his murder. Rumors were flying that someone had indeed wanted him dead.

July 10 2010 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sue

I worked for an evil woman. Before I started working there employees were not allowed to talk or listen to music or anything. I have a friendly, fun demeaner & she did not like this. I played a radio (quietly) & occassionally joked with people. I was very good for the other employees' morale. She did not like this either, but my work was excellent, so she didn't say anything. At this time I was a temporary worker.

I heard horror stories from the others like her pushing a girl into the wall (no witnesses) & 1 girl pissed off the boss, so the boss put her desk in the factory in the middle of winter. Another lady had 3 small kids & when her husband was killed, instead of being sympathetic, she was meaner to that lady.

Once they hired me permanently, she started on me. I had just bought a new house & I guess she figured I really needed the job, so she could do whatever she wanted. At first I fought back (verbally sticking up for myself). If I did 11 jobs, she reprimanded me for not doing 12. If I helped out a co-worker with something, she reprimanded me for not being at my desk. One time I was on the phone WITH A CUSTOMER & she called another girl's speaker phone & yelled to get off the phone! The customer made a comment about her. I just said we're used to that.

It got so bad that I was breaking out in hives & hating coming to work. I told my husband I would try but didn't know how much longer I could take it. I talked to the main office in SC & the Human Resource woman came out to talk to me. This was a Friday. On Monday, I was suspended for poor job performance. Human Resources did NOTHING.

During my 3 days off, I planned my revenge. I created a polite, but informative email. I said I was giving my 2 weeks notice & listed the reasons why. I gave examples. I said I could not work for a woman who bullies & treats adult employees like they are Kindergarteners.

When I went back to work after the suspension, I told my husband that I would give it one more try. I wasn't in the door 20 minutes when she started screaming at me about something that happened while I was off. I listened to her rant, went back to my desk, opened up my email (I sent myself a copy). I then forwarded it to her, all the supervisors & Mgrs., all Corporate Personnel including HR. Our email system had a feature that you could tell when the recipient opened up their mail. So I packed up a few things from my desk & sat there watching as the emails opened up. Then I could see on the switchboard as lines were lighting up. Then more emails opening up & more phone lines.

A few minutes later, she called my speaker phone & asked me to come into her office. I did. She was calm, but I could tell that she was fuming inside. She said that she received my email & that they would pay me for the 2 weeks notice, but that I "could" leave immediately. I did. Her last words to me as I was leaving were "you didn't steal anything did you?" What a bitch!

July 10 2010 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sue's comment
sherocks

This is what's so screwed up about American business. How can the company be successful if its departments are run by assholes? Why aren't these people fired? They suck?

July 11 2010 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Krystal

I was an Assistant Property manager for to apartment communities... when I took the job it seemed great good pay and room for advancement since I started as a leasing agent and was an Assistant Manager within a few months. However, the company as I found out had a high turn over rate. I had 3 different property managers in the 2 years I was there. A couple months after I was hired they had fired the property accountant and I had that role put on top of me as well as my postion and large portion of the property manager's position since they were always new and didn't know what was going on or there wasn't one at all at times. I found out I was pregnant in late november and told my co workers at the Christmas party in the middle of December. In the mean time they chased away yet another manager(probably the best one they had) and this busy body woman from the main office who was the HR dept. who wanted the position came down to fill in for the time being. I thought that I may have a shot at the position since I had basically already been doin 80% of the work there.Instead I show up to work at the second properties door on monday morning to go in and check voicemails and collect rents to find that my key to my office didn't work. I left and talked to the maintenance supervisor who told me I needed to talk to the temp manager. I drive over to the other property accross the street and walk in to her office she tells me to sit down. I was just about 3 months pregnant at this point and she began to tell me that I have the option of being demoted from Assistant property manager to receptionist or I can quit. I got very upset and asked why this was happening I stepped up and did all of the work that was asked of me in essance doing 3 different positions and now I was being demoted for no reason at all. I had began to cry because I was pregnant and emotional and confused. She told me to take a half hour and think about it and come back. so I did so. I went back into the office swallowed my pride and said that I would take the demotion. I mean I had a baby on the way and needed a job no matter what. She then proceeded to tell me that the offer was no longer on the table and I was terminated. that she needed my keys, company, phone, and whatever else I had pertaining to the job. Beacause she swore that I had called her a bitch when I was leaving the first time which I did not. So at that point I was so upset I took my phone out and my keys and dropped them on the floor in front of me. then went to my briefcase and pulled out all of the rent checks and deposit slips out and through them up in the air all over her office grabbed my stuff and walked out. It was liberating after being treated so horribly. Although she did try to deny my unemployment say I was insobordinant. She then changed her tune on the interview and said she did not want to fight it. because she knew that she had no reason to fire me and I did nothing of the sort until after she had already fired me. Just goes to show that hard work doesn't always pay off!! But I got to go through my pregnancy and not have to work. When my daughter was a couple months old I found out that woman was fired because she was stealing from the company and they offered me my job back to cover another girl on maternity leave. I took it in hopes that things would be different. The other Employee decided not to come back after her baby and they still laid me off a few months later. Just a bad company all the way around. Definately learned my lesson in the end. All though Karma did come back for them in the end!!!

July 10 2010 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 13 - April 20

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.