Fortune's Best Companies #3: Wegmans

job interview It's no surprise to me that Wegmans is at the top of the best places to work list. Five years ago I got a part-time job in the pharmacy of our local Wegmans Food Market. At the time I figured I would be there until something better came along, but I soon realized that the flexibility that Wegmans offered would be next to impossible to find at any other company. Being a working mom, there are times when I have to miss a shift because one of my children is sick. This has never been an issue and I've never felt like I have to choose between my child and my job. Usually, they will work with me and let me work at night to make up for the missed day shift.

A couple of months ago, I had some minor surgery. When we got home from the hospital there was a Wegmans reusable shopping bag filled with a cooked chicken, vegetables and a cookie cake. Everyone in my department had chipped in and then made sure it was at my house, so I wouldn't have to worry about dinner for my family. It's the little things that really make a difference.

On a daily basis, we're empowered to make decisions that will be in the customers' best interest. For example, I don't need to ask my supervisor for permission to waive a customer's co-pay if I feel the situation warrants it. They trust us to use our own judgment, which, in turn, makes us feel valued.

How many grocery stores offer health insurance to their part-time employees? Wegmans does. The employee co-pay cost is very reasonable and it's a great insurance policy. They also award thousands of dollars in college scholarships every year to their employees.

I do feel like I am valued as a person and that my ideas are met with encouragement. We are never made to feel like we aren't important to the company, no matter what position we might have. I'm sure there are some managers that aren't as good as others, but so far I haven't met any. Just as I'm sure there are Wegmans employees that aren't always happy. But I still believe that a lot of other companies would benefit by following Wegmans' lead with both their customers and their employees.

Looking for Work? Find Wegmans Jobs

Next: What it's like to work at Google >>

Previous: What it's like to work at Edward Jones >>

Linda

THIS IS THE BEST STORE TO WORK FOR! THEY ARE SO GOOD TO THEIR EMPLOYEES AND CUSTOMER SERVICE! I MISS IT SOOO MUCH.. I WANT ONE DOWN HERE IN FLORIDA, TAMPA AREA IS OK, I'D DRIVE THERE JUST TO SHOP OR WORK FOR THEM AGAIN! PUBLIX IS A WEGMANS WANT TO BE...NEVER WILL COMPARE TO MY WEGMANS!!

February 06 2012 at 6:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DawnBurnam

Wegmans is the ONLY thing my husband and I miss about living in Rochester, NY., headquarters and first city to have a Wegmans.
We moved away after many years there and once relocated, we realize how much we took it for granted. No chain can compare to their level of quality in all depaatments.

February 05 2012 at 1:52 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
phillies1949

BRUCE
I am retired and have worked part time at Wegmans for 4 1/2 years now. No place better to work if your are retired and like to travel. In the time I have been there I have never been turned down for time off. No matter if its one day or 4 weeks .
Pay for part timers is good
My wife is retired and works at Wegmans also. She also enjoys working there also.

January 29 2012 at 9:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Glen

I would love to have Wegmans open a few stores in the NY Tri-State area. Not sure why that is?
I lived in Upstate NY miss shopping there. The lower half of NY needs to have them open some stores.
Here in Westchester County, taxes are one of the highest in the country. My thinking is, they don't want to
do business in a county with such high taxes. I've was told a few different reasons. I'm hoping like many other people, Wegmans changes their minds and open stores my way.

January 29 2012 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wolfee666

Staten Island, New York needs a Wegman's store, I know that most Staten Island have travel to New Jersey to get a Wegman's store and they would all love to have a Wegman's store in there back yards on Staten Island......

November 27 2011 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ginger.327

I wish they would put a Wegman's in Myrtle Beach or somewhere along the Grand Strand.......there is a lot of New Yorkers here......along with Virginians, Marylander's, Jersey girls, etc. with plenty of money and we love and miss our Wegman's. We have a Costco (that's always packed), so why not a Wegman's??

November 13 2011 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
munch732005

I love working at wegmans!!!!!! there an amazing company that truely does care about there emplyees and there customers!!!!!

November 06 2011 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cherie

In response to "jcs519", you are absolutely ill informed. I worked for Wegmans for five years, and they certainly DO give raises based on performance. I was the recipient of many. If I hadn't become disabled myself, I would still be there! I LOVE WEGMANS!!

November 06 2011 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angela

I used to work for Wegmans til I became disabled. I LOVED IT THERE. I was always respected as a person there........ABSOLUTLY LOVED IT!!!!

October 09 2011 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jcs519

I have a friend who works in the Pharmacy group at a Wegmans store. Her comments are the complete opposite of the comments about how working for Wegmans is so wonderful . She worked part time 16 years in different departments and the last 2 years full time in the Pharmacy.. It was only after she became full time that she discovered her seniority changed to when she started working full time, i.e., her seniority is now only 2 yeara. She is very discouraged with the favoritism shown by supervisors and the lack of "pay for performance:", e.g., everybody gets the same pay raise regardless of performance, no "merit or bonus pay" for performance exceeding objectives, etc. Just posting a different observation about working for Wegmans.

September 25 2011 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply