Fortune's Best Companies #6: DreamWorks

job interview Apparently, at DreamWorks, one of the best companies to work for, there is such a thing as free lunch – and breakfast too. Employees describe the DreamWorks SKG Animation Studio campus atmosphere as fast paced and fun, with good people and great benefits.

It takes lots of energy to draw "Shrek" all day, and DreamWorks makes sure their people don't go hungry. Benefits like company-paid breakfast and lunch were both big hits with employees, many of whom mention that free food was one of the reasons they liked working at DreamWorks. Who wouldn't like eating with Steven Spielberg?

Working at DreamWorks sounds like a dream, according to Diana De Rosa, who wrangled horses on two DreamWorks releases. Diana liked DreamWorks' exciting atmosphere, but admitted that "the office atmosphere was a bit insane like it is with all of us. Everyone having 100 things to do all at once."

Only one of the movies that Diana worked on was animated, and she enjoyed watching the animation process. "We had a chance to see them at work. It was fascinating."

Diana explained that she liked the people that she worked with, and enjoyed some of the extra benefits that come with working for a major studio. DreamWorks offered her incentives to get media coverage of the actors and actresses, and allowed her to write background stories about the filming. Getting stories about the filming published, also "gave me a better chance of getting published by my equine media contacts."

Other DreamWorks employees from different areas of the company offered mostly positive thoughts, but from varied viewpoints.

A DreamWorks animation intern (name not disclosed) shared that his experience was generally positive at DreamWorks and that was a great place to start his career. "Free lunches, easygoing environment and atmosphere. Everyone is laid back and easy to approach, so it was a great culture. Overall a great place to get hands-on experience."

Another DreamWorks animator (name not disclosed) added: "It's a great place to work in general. The management and company do seem to have a genuine desire to create a great place to work. Nice campus, free food, activities, perks. Union provides all benefits including health, which are generally regarded as being very good."

Not even the best job on the planet is all positive, and she also shared some less-desirable aspects to balance her comments. "The grass is always greener. Every company has its issues and DreamWorks has its fair share of politics, favoritism, short sightedness, etc. I wouldn't say it's any worse than anywhere else. Generally, it feels a bit like a retirement home, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Things change very slowly, life moves quite slowly, but mostly that is part of the feature-animation world."

A software engineer (name not disclosed) revealed his thoughts about working at DreamWorks. "I have been working here for the last three years and it is a nice place to work. You are surrounded by creative minds and the work environment is very nice. They have very good perks like free breakfast/lunch, and free Caltran pass." But he also exposed that "it is very much a production-driven environment. Most of the developer time is spent on maintaining the existing code rather than developing new software."

Finally, Diana DeRosa mentioned her favorite thing about working at DreamWorks. "I also liked that they gave out souvenirs for me to distribute. That was a big hit with the 4-H groups and younger audience."

Looking for Work? Find DreamWorks Animation Jobs

Next: What it's like to work at NetApp >>

Previous: What it's like to work at Nugget Market >>

bearlkmom

Is there a dreamworks in the Provo Utah area?

February 13 2012 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mariad421

is hard to find a job now now they want experence on the jobs and a lot of people dont have is not far.....

November 02 2011 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jjones8140

I would like to self-published my book - looking for inexpensive printing company and book bonding company........do anyone know of any reliable ones that has pass the "Better Bureau Business" inspections?

September 11 2011 at 9:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jjones8140's comment
June Stallings

try i-universe.com

March 04 2012 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nashville7UP

so what's it take to get an interview?

August 14 2011 at 6:36 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mayrol

How would one get a job in the construction trade and build props and what ever else there needs to be done for the movies?

August 14 2011 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nashville7UP

what is it about 911 and history about the worst happenings..for instance St. Michaels tower had been ransacked by an earthquake on 9-11-1275 that destroyed the church or part of St. Michaels tower during those days with 7 on the richter scale comparing the damage done on that day in that area..

August 09 2011 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nashville7UP

Ralph-see my facebook pics: "School Days" Ralph Gale Monk

August 07 2011 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nashville7UP

my facebook page has the conclusion to the "close encounters story" true story the conclusion it has all the facts why there had been a chase in the first place and why had it turned out to be so secretive to discredit the real players in the Portage county chase that left some of the players without an explanation "7 Steps to Hell" I have to say most likely was the closure of the chase so many years later the conclusion might be at second glance 7 wars by air and a man named Orson Welles who gave us "War of the Worlds" had been from Kenosha, WI. same place that Pratt-Whitney double wasp 2800 series had been made when Nash plant shut down for the supplier of 3 fighter planes depended on these and most likely when the Beacon Journal had reported that the ufo had come from the south over the trees. I had just turned 16 and was selling tickets at the Gala Drive-in Theater that same evening so I am just a bit younger than Speilberg but I have reason to believe there is more to the story than was released during those years. My personal experience was I had been driving in the area during that time only it was after midnight.. Just over the hill was Goodyear Aerospace only during WWII they made Corsair Planes with bent wings and an oversized propeller for being fast & quiet with the most powerful engine during that time only to phased out when the Jet came into being. So my belief Is that there is a conclusion only to the news had reported recently like at the O'Hare Airport in November of 2006 and John Hilkevitch from Chicago Tribune had reported on U-Tube and the newspaper. And the fact that I don't remember ever seeing anything out there on 224 only that the girl whom let me drive her car after work while I was preparing to apply for my drivers license that's how I ended up out there and her dropping me off at home with no idea of the night before when I seen some cable shows on tv I thought to take another look at the story and went to the main library to find out more about it and gave it some thought as to why there was a possiblity we could have had one of those encounters? Another instance was in Cleveland, OH. over March 10th when a cameraman had filmed a protest over the war in Iraq being the 5th year to date and that was on the same day that Osama Bin Laden had celebrated his 50th birthday. I knew that when I read the story and the cameraman had reported that after he had shot the film there that he slept for a few days and felt weak like he had been zapped or something. CBS had bought the film on that one. I built my documentation on all these reports and disclosures and a more recent one was the airport over Mongolia airport had been closed because of a UFO had been hovering over their airport on 9-11-10 and a quatrain of Nostradamus had read that: the great king of terror would bring back to life the King of the Mongols? So with all I have written in these few words I think theres something wrong in Denmark as time gets closer to 2012

August 07 2011 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
susan

yeah sounds like it's too good to be true, in which case it probably is. probably just like anywhere else, no matter how glamorous, after 6 mo., a job is just a job. and the part where steven spielberg fired a person after they quit their other job and then fired them after 6 mo., sounds all-too-believable. anyone thinking any of these places is better than the other is probably living in a dream world. everybody who is gullible enough to think that without some kind of degree and even with that, that getting a job w/ them is so great (or even that easy), is probably DREAMING, too. No pun intended. you probably have a better chance of getting a job in fast food. LOL.

April 17 2011 at 1:01 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to susan's comment
smileyriley@wild4music.com

I wouldn't say that it sounds too good to be true. It's not like one of the employees was quoted saying that they all receive new cars upon employment. They have a fun atmosphere and get free food, it isn't too unbelievable.

July 17 2011 at 11:37 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ekardyalb

I have a great Dreamwork or Pixar movie in my head ! Just need someone to help me put it on paper ! Trust me I told a few people who said call you asap ! But where ? " Ned it's a dog life" rated {PG} Awsome Story line, with a lot of laugh till your nose bleeds rumor !

March 28 2011 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply