If Moms Earned a Salary, How Much Would They Make?

With Mother's Day upon us, I've been thinking about the "Mom job" and how many different jobs it really is. Can you imagine if moms got paid for all they do? Obviously moms don't take the job for the money, but it does make you wonder what their earning potential would be if they were actually compensated financially for all they do.

Here is a list of all the jobs moms do and their corresponding salaries according to Payscale:

#

DJ

$27.41

$42,700

Career counselor

$18.19

$50,300

That adds up to over $500,000 a year, a nice little chunk of change! And I've even got a few of my own jobs to add:

• Referee -- for all that sibling rivalry
  • Child advocate -- to deal with the abundances of injustices in most school systems
  • Costume designer -- think of all those school plays
  • Editor -- how many of your kid's research papers have you had to read?
  • Fundraiser -- schools always need people to help them raise money
  • Tour guide -- what mom among us hasn't chaperoned a class trip?
  • Entertainer -- moms know this one needs no explanation

The list goes on and on. The reality, however, is that women don't get paid a dime for parenting and society tends to value paid work over non-paid work. And even though moms who work outside the home may "outsource" some of these jobs, they still have to squeeze most of these duties into the evenings, weekends and days off.

So what's my point? It's that we all need to thank all the stay-at-home moms and working moms -- not just on Sunday but every day. And, although there's no salary, bonus or service awards, for many moms the "benefits package" makes it all worth it. Happy Mother's Day!

Next: 10 Ways Stay-at-Home Moms Can Stay in the Professional Loop >>

Source: All salary data provided by PayScale.com. Salaries listed are median annual salaries for full-time workers and include any bonuses, commissions or profit sharing. Hourly rates listed are median hourly rates and do not include bonuses.

Filed under: Working Parents
Barbara Safani

Barbara Safani

Editor

Barbara Safani, owner of Career Solvers, has over fifteen years of experience in career management, recruiting, executive coaching, and organizational development.

Barbara partners with both Fortune 100 companies and individuals to deliver targeted programs focusing on resume development, job search strategies, networking, interviewing, salary negotiation skills, and online identity management.

She is the author of Happy About My Resume: 50 Tips For Building a Better Document to Secure a Brighter Future and #JOBSEARCHtweet and her award-winning resumes are featured in dozens of career-related publications.

Ashley Norris

Come on everyone. This was for entertainment purposes only. Anyone who cares for their chiildren, man or woman, is a hard worker in my eyes. Being a mom isnt easy but I understand being a dad isnt either. I am the main caregiver in my home of 3 chuildren ages 3 and under and my husband works but as a child my dad was the worker and the caregiver for me and my brother since my mom refused to take care of us. So I do know that every household the situation is different. but in most households the mom is the one who does the work at home and dad does the work at his job. We are all equal. It would be awesome to get paid to be a stay at home parent but thats not the way it is....well not in money anyways. Our pay (which is good enough for me) is a childs unconditional love. lots of hugs, and getting to be there to watch them grow. In that sense I am a billionaire.

January 03 2013 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ishihchung

Just think about how much you will pay for your living in nanny to do all this thing. I'm a nanny who get pay $10-$12 an hour, I am underpaid because the child is a friend of mine and I also able to bring my kids to work. Because of my salary, I am not required to cook, clean, nor do any housework for them, except take care the baby. Now a day, a living in nanny can earn up to $100,000 a year.

September 26 2012 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ronnie

Look, this is ridiculous. Why do you HAVE to try and make the father's and mother's role in a family more valuable than the other?! Without a living wage, a child will not have a decent lifestyle. Without a caring, housekeeping parent involved than the child will have a rough childhood. Both parents should be valued, stop looking at people and trying to down-mind either parent's role in a family.

August 24 2010 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NoKindLies

I know at least 2 women who did artificial insemination to avoid men like you who think they owe them everything. You are the kind of individual who still objectifies women and thinks that they are more property than people. Men who are truly ignorant are usually the first to accuse women of ignorance or mental illness as a way of putting them down and satifying their need to one-up them. When a man calls me ignorant, stupid or crazy, that is the first indicator that I am so close to the truth they feel threatened. You cannot buy a child and the fact remains that a woman does virtually all the work-whether you have all the fun or not.

May 29 2010 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D Wayne

My kid takes out the trash and does dishes, feeds the dogs, etc. It's called chores. Should they be paid as a trash man, kennel worker, bus boy/waitress? Get real! Is dad also paid to do mechanic work, home repair and the like, NO. Like Chris Rock says, "You're supposed to take care of your kids!" Being a mom/dad is not a job, having a baby is not a paycheck.

May 14 2010 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ellie

Mike, I am sorry we don't know what you have had to deal with - You just talked out in the wrong place! MOST Mother's were pictured here and I give credit to the Thought given to Mother here. I realize not everyone has been blessed. Some never know what a Family meal is? Some only listen to Control order's? Some see diffrent member's shut out and wonder why? Some only know, Sh - mother'sleeping! It is not a perfect world and some get the short end of the stick, some don't. You just learn to SHUT-UP and go on, Life is what you make it!

May 10 2010 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

K Zietlow,

I was just using random examples of things men do off the top of my head. I'm curious as to what is soooooooo difficult that a mother does that she deserves to be payed more than a CEO of a company or more than the president. Baking cookies for a kids classroom doesn't qualify in my opinion, thats all I said.

May 10 2010 at 6:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
K.Zietlow

Mike and Steve:
First of all, a mother's job is 24/7, even when she is sleeping she is on=call for a sick child, a nightmare or a child that just won't fall asleep. So that is 168 hours a week. Paid the usual time and a half overtime,even at minimum wage and halftime for on'call hours, that's $1200 a week- 52 weeks (because mom's don't get days off)is $62,400 per year and that's before you count doubletime for 6 holidays, say another $2880 - over $65,000 a year.
I was a single mom, never got an hour or a dime from the father. Had to leave him because he was violent with me and starting to be with my son. Had no help from my family. I actually did work 24/7 as a mother.
Why should ALL the time and ALL the money be on me? Did I make my child all by myself? And yet, this is the case with most single moms and even those with husbands have men who avoid any kind of time with their children like the plague. Divorced dads try to get out of child support and show up for visitation at their own convenience.
Not all men are like this, my own son is a VERY involved dad to a child that is not even his own biologically. Not getting paid a cent by the mom and the bio-dad is absentee.
Bet Mike and Steven didn't even send their mother's a card this mother's day and are still resenting her because she didn't do even more.
Also, children are perhaps better off with a good dad who is involved in their lives and REALLY supports their mother...but with too many dads, kids are far better off without a father figure who neglects them, breaks promises to them, and creates more problems than he helps.
On top of all this< I had a child with asthma (so I was up all night with aick child FREQUENTLY) and had ro homeschool him because he missed so much school. Keeping on top of doctors and school system injustices was a full time job in itself.
I kept a clean house and a clean child (and clothes) I brought him on innumerable field trips-every museum and zoo up to 300 miles in every direction from where we lived.
My son, without help from a father or a family, has become a very responsible adult who holds a very responsible job. He has struggled through college a few courses at a time because he has noone to pay his way and yet has a 4.0 average.
I accomplished this on my own --so much for what happens to kids without dads. He had some tough teen years but otherwise has made me very proud.
Having someone minimize what mothers do is despicable coming from men who have had wives and moms who have sacrificed so much of their lives for these...no, they are not men, they are still boys, no matter their age...and are the type of man women refer to when they say he is like having just one more child.

May 10 2010 at 1:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wes Jones

Sure, if they, or anyone, could work 13 full time jobs. Sorry, the logic is bad.

May 09 2010 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim vertree

by the i am a mr mom to

May 09 2010 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jim vertree's comment
K.Zietlow

Good for you. Could you tell these cavemen how much work it is? They might listen to it from you.

May 10 2010 at 3:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 20 - April 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.