"Should I Quit my Job?" 4 Scenarios in Which Quitting is Advisable

In a bad economy, it can be difficult to quit a job when there are so many professionals out of jobs. But if you're faced with a bad workplace situation or you're presented with a better opportunity elsewhere, it's okay to take the plunge and give your two week notice.

Although quitting a job is always a difficult decision to make, not recognizing when it's time to quit could hurt your resume and, most importantly, make you unhappy with where you are in your career.

If you're looking for the push to finally quit that job, here are four scenarios that give you the right to walk away to a better opportunity.

1. Poor Work Environment

You should never have to deal with a bad work environment, whether you're faced with harassment or poor management. Many professionals will tell you that a great work environment can make a world of a difference, so it's no surprise that a poor work environment can have the same affect. Never put up with harassment in the workplace and don't let management take advantage of you with unreasonable work conditions.

2. Low Pay

In an economy like this, chances are no one is being paid what they are worth. But there's a difference between cutting back on salaries and taking advantage of workers who know they are lucky to have a job in the first place. Be sure to network with other workers in your field to find out the average salary in your area for your industry. If you fall way below the average, speak to your boss. But, it's time to walk away if your concerns continue to go unnoticed. Staying at a job with low pay will hurt your future chances of receiving the salary you deserve.

3. No Chance of Growth

If you have been making the effort to move up the corporate ladder with little response from management, it may be time to move on to another company. Once a worker shows interest in taking on more responsibility, management should take notice and start grooming them for a higher position. If you're willing to learn, but no one is willing to teach you, this could mean that either you'll get stuck in your position or management is trying to give you the hint that they don't think you'll stick around much longer.

4. Better Opportunity

Many times during your career you'll be presented with another job opportunity, and chances are it may be during a time when you're not even looking for a different position. Some professionals are hesitant to leave a job they're comfortable with to pursue a position at another company. Take the time to weigh all of the pros and cons of quitting your job for a better opportunity elsewhere. Those who take risks in their careers are often the most successful and the happiest.

Next: How to Resign Gracefully >>

Ann Crownover

I also worked at a job where the boss was miserable. It was a shame, because she was not always this way. She had an excellent program and staff, but apparently this was not good enough. She expected perfection. God forbid you should make a mistake. Thankfully I found another job, and the people I work for and with are fantastic. I was so happy when I quit my previous job; it was not worth the anxiety, migraines, heartburn and tears.

May 09 2010 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becka

How about the scenario of working for a boss who is younger than you, but more educated? I recently had that experience and I honestly believe she hired me so she could treat me badly and she didn't think I would do anything about it. Found out the previous person in the position was also in her 40's and was treated just as poorly. My co-worker, also much younger and more educated than me, made 20k more than me and did very little to earn it. I was overworked, commuted one hour one way to get to work, had to leave my home at 4:30 a.m. to arrive on time, and then had to bear the abuse of my boss. Nothing was ever good enough. After four months, she finally fired me. Why? Because I was unable to keep up with the workload, or at least that's the excuse she gave. The corporation was great, but this manager (who everyone feared) held a high position in the local office. If she hadn't fired me, I planned on quitting. Although finding another job will be difficult, nothing was worth the anxiety and stress I suffered at the hands of my boss.

May 09 2010 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

I tried a manager position. Gave it everything I had and after I year, it was taken away from. I was okay with that. They kept me as a nurse and also hired a second nurse with no experience. After 4 months, I was fired and the other nurse got my position. It was cheaper to keep her and get rid of me. I had 25 years of experience. I can not find another job close to me. I am looking into network marketing. I am SO tired of working for someone else.

May 03 2010 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
homealone

There seems to be a pattern and I think it isn't the employees creating the terminatios. It wa strue that two new engineers could be hired in today's job market for what I had earned. Yes I do mean earned; 60 hour work weeks, many of weekends overseas, and many weekends "entertaining" visitors and co-workers from overseas. Now it's fairly simple...not needed. Please be wise and learn from an ole fool. I also wish I could put the stcok ticker symbol up too!

May 03 2010 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shawn

My statement was a bit blunt and riddled with frustration. Please allow me to elaborate. The original post was about making lots of money from home. Made it sound real easy, in fact. It frustrates me because I could always seek that easy path, but I was raised that you get out there, find your passion, work hard, and success will follow. I guess there a million people out there looking for the next easy network marketing or make easy money working from home scams.

May 03 2010 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angiebaby

My how we have strayed from our fathers' and grandfathers' work ethics when any job was a good job if it gave you and your family food, clothing and shelter. If they wanted extras, they worked a second job or sacrificed by doing work they didn't like but had to do to support their family. And now we're pushing reasons WHY YOU SHOULDN'T QUIT YOUR FREAKIN' JOB! Ha!

Poor Work Environment? If you are doing a job you like and getting paid more than you are worth, who gives a damn about the work environment? So the boss or manager yells their head off when things don't get done on time, or done to suit them. When things aren't working and the BIG bosses want answers, they take a bite out of your bosses ass. He/She has the right, no... the obligation, to keep the office productive. And believe me, there are MANY more employees getting paid MORE than they're worth than there are employees getting paid LESS than they're worth. Say you work in a henhouse with a bunch of sourpuss gossiping magpies? What does this have to do with you doing your job and earning your paycheck?
Low Pay? You need to seriously evaluate your job description in the context of your skills and pay level before deciding you don't get paid enough. If you are qualified to pull Slurpees, but you make twice as much an hour for answering that damn phone and fetching coffee from 9 to 5 with weekends off, you need to do a quick reality check before you flip your boss your resignation or the finger or whatever!
No Chance for Growth? Give 110% in everything you do. Oh, yeah, without whining, playing the martyr or outright brown-nosing. Now you're lost, aren't you? Well, moving on, what do you bring to the table besides simply doing your job as told? If you want to climb that corporate ladder, act like it. Have you exhausted your learning with this company? Hell, IS there even anywhere to go? Is anyone else in the office moving up? If not, maybe you should put out some feelers before you quit in a huff with your panties in a wad and have NO job, NO benefits and NO where to go but to a lesser job.
Better Opportunity? So your next door neighbor Ahmed wants you to manage the day shift at his corner gas station/convenience store! He offers you $2.50 more per hour. Hmmm! What to do, oh, what to do? Yes, you'll get to wear a name tag saying "Manager", which means you will still be working the counter, sweeping the floor, cleaning the bathroom, re-filling the coffee maker, etc. It ALSO means that when someone has a problem, YOU have to handle it. And when someone calls in sick for the afternoon shift, YOU have to work it. And if someone then calls in on the midnight shift and you can't get a replacement, YOU have to work that, too. You will not get benefits, and you will work so many hours you won't get to enjoy that extra money! Oh, and did I mention you are the manager on weekends, too? You need to think about it and consider what really is a better opportunity.

Can you tell I'm sick of all the whining and the piss-poor work ethic of too many people in this country?

May 03 2010 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I have really enjoyed reading all the comments to this post. Unfortunately, people will be people in every possible situation. Not only do we all deal with personalities in the work place, but also in our social lives, activities and such. Most people are self centered and lack people skills. In out society today, the dollar is the only thing that counts. No one is going to look out for you in the workplace except yourself. I have had my share of horrible managers, crappy companies and jobs I have hated. I have also had the reverse. Wonderful managers who promote people, jobs I have truly enjoyed and co-workers who I loved working with. It comes down to knowing we were are as individuals and how to interact with other people. We also need to learn to take care of ourselves and find a balance between work and life. That’s my two cents.

May 03 2010 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cherri

It doesn't mean u r lazy just cause u are in a bad work envir and want to get out.A bad boss turns out bad employees.It has been proven time and time again that employees feed off their immediate supervisors.If your boss is kind,fair,upbeat optimistic this will rub off.i have seen this so many times in my many years of working.

May 03 2010 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gloria

Good for you.

May 03 2010 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gloria

That is an awful thing to say. I have 2 doctorates and the others had no doctorate. My work was better because of effort but I was paid less.

May 03 2010 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply