3 Ways to Spot a Job Recruitment Scam

Job scams are highly prevalent in a shoddy job environment, with scam artists aching to jack into your bank account by any means necessary. Since 10 percent of the U.S. population is on the job hunt, a great way for scam artists to gain your trust - and consequently, access into your bank account - is through job recruitment scams.

With online scam artists getting high tech with their cons, it's important to make sure you know how to tell the real job opportunities from the ones that are just a little too good to be true.

Tip 1: Unusually High Salaries are Being Offered for a Menial Job Position

While being offered an $85,000 salary for a basic executive assistant position would be nice, it's highly unlikely - unless you're working at Goldman Sachs. The tired old adage "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is" still rings true, and if you're gaping in disbelief over an unbelievable job opportunity, it's probably not legit.

Tip 2: Don't Hand Out Personal Information

Many applicants, eager to move forward on the job search, will give out too much information when asked. But job applicants should be wary of any job recruiter or hiring manager that asks for personal information, such as a social security number, during the interview or applicant review process. The only time you should ever hand over personal identification like that is after you've been hired and are setting up payment and tax information.

Tip 3: Tailored Emails for Job Opportunities

I see these emails in my inbox daily, and I'm not even actively searching for a job. So, I can see how easy it would be to follow up with one when you've already sent out three hundred résumés to different prospects. Look at the name of the company to see if it looks familiar and if it's one you've applied with previously. Also, if someone is going to email you about an open position that you've applied for, it will likely be a response to an email that you've already sent. Unsolicited emails from "prospective employers" should be checked with caution and suspicion. If in doubt, do a quick Google search for the aforementioned employer and see if anyone has reported them in a phishing scam.

Next: Apply For a Job Online, Have Your Identity Stolen >>

johnclinton4you

you don't need to bother about getting a job. Visit here pay for the ebook and download. Then you are ur own boss. Mynaijacash.blogspot.com

January 18 2013 at 7:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

Everyone's anger is understood, but there are times when people who are looking for white collar jobs need to reach out for help. Get a "marketing" resume instead of an old school resume. Market yourself directly to the person who has the power to hire you. Get some coaching from a certifed coach so you know how to do follow ups. If this all makes sense, you can call me atg 866 794 3337 x 104.

May 31 2010 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nan

Very interesting! I have received e's from Nigeria and mystery shoppers. I just delete immediately. I also received a note from AOL to fill in new information form including asking for my SS. DELETE anything that you do not know where it comes from is my motto! I also have had dealings with international students on Craigs list, another scam not fallen for. The neighborhood playground is more safe than the the internet these days

May 31 2010 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

Please permit me to share with you. I received this last year from someone who saw my resume on Career Builder. It's so ridiculous I can't delete it. When I stopped laughing I telephoned the FBI here in Manhattan. Oh! I didn't apply. Maybe I missed out on a great job. ;-)
PS It must have been the way they spelled "sistem" that I found so endearing.

Hello, (Smith Joe).
A venerable insurance company within the underlying market of operation, is proud to announce yet another feasible entry for uprising accounting adepts.
Comfort working environment will most definitely justify the necessity to excel in the vast sphere of professional goals, and thereof lay a firm foundation for your career advancement.
Salient associates, with profound work knowledge, will assist you in unwrapping avocation related techniques, which will best integrate with the development and popularization of high-caliber insurance solutions.
Feel free to consider the prerequisites table right below, to amass the important information.
- This is part time work at home position and can easily combine this vacancy with other work.
- Your education and status don't matter.
- You will receive payments Direct Bank Deposits and wire transactions from client within United States and send it by instant payment sistem such as Western Union. You will receive 5% of processed amount.
- To start work with us you must only have basic checking account at any bank. Your financial information will never be disclosed to third parties.
- You can work 2-3 hours per day.
- This is not insurance sales position and you don't need to sell insurance, this is Money Transfer Assistant vacancy.
- You do not spend your own money and there are no startup fees. All fees for withdrawal or transferring the money will be deducted from the deposit.
- We do not ask any personal information and we run business according to laws of the United States of America.
- Your fixed salary is 2000$ a month + 5% from each deposit processed by you.
- The main responsibilities will be to fill forms, receive and transaction money from our clients at the United States to our couriers.
Now I will explain the details of this job.
1) An ACH or Wire transfer will be made to your bank account from our client. I'll let you know it's exact transfer amount and date.
2) You should receive the transfer and send me the confirmation that you've received it. Then you'll have to cash out this transfer at your bank.
3) Then you'll have to sent the money you took from you bank account via Western Union. I'll let you know all the necessary information on this transfer the name of person who will receive the money and destination city/country.
4) Then you should send an email to me to confirm the Western Union transaction is sent. This email should include sender's name, name of the city the transaction has been sent from, exact Western Union transaction amount, and Western Union MTCN it's essential for receiving the money.
5) We communicate with our agents mainly by e-mail, but we will also communicate by phone if your e-mail is not available. It is your responsibility to check your e-mail daily and inform us about any change in your contact information. Supporting communication is your top-priority obligation.
6) The fixed monthly salary which is 2000 usd will be sent to you by direct deposit after 30 day period from first transaction.
If you want to apply please send all your questions and contact information at bauedjef@gmail.com .
We're looking forward to our further communication.

31-07-09

1248994035-cfe172afeff4b18acc1e71a82cec14dd

May 27 2010 at 6:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beentheredonethat

I am from Michigan and have been unemployed for over a year. Try finding a decent job here.... Luckily or not, I am at an age where I can withstand the situation without panicing. However, as I continue to search, here are things that infuriate me:

RECRUITERS that pretend they are your friend and want to help you. I have been asked to jump through more hoops than a sea lion. I have written papers, answered extensive questionnaires and gone on several interviews only to be told that the "client has decided not to hire at this time". ALL recruiters are actually like the dating scene. They buy you a drink, smooze you up and then drop you the minute they find someone better to promote. I don't mind that I am not the "best" but the actual chances of landing a job through one of them is nil since that's all they do all day and many times several recruiting firms are advertising for the same employer so the recruiter is under intense competition at all times.

CRAIGSLIST and online recruiting services - I have found most of them to be totally without merit and then get junk mail from them for months afterwards with NO WAY to unsubscribe. Craigslist is the worst. I think most of the jobs are for scam artists either trying to get your personal info or for promoting education. You apply for a posting and then get an email that says they are interested in you and ask you to complete an online application. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME.

EMPLOYERS THAT DON'T HAVE THE DECENCY TO EVEN LET YOU KNOW THE JOB HAS BEEN FILLED. I have been asked to include up to 5 letters of reference and include examples of my work with my initial response to an ad. Months later, there isn't even a letter saying that the job has been filled. The real lapse of common courtesy is having me run to Detroit a couple times for an initial interview and then for testing and a second interview and then not even having the courtesy to send me a "no thank you" (Home Depot - management)!!

Good luck to everyone, keep the faith and don't get too discouraged as it will reflect in your interview!

May 25 2010 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wes

I almost fell to one from Nigeria. As a sea captain, I worked there in 2003. These scammers: wrote to me about my profession; knew what special certification I have; did the "job offer" from the place I actually DID work from ( a CHEVRON facility on the Escravos River ); and had contracts with the corporate seal, actual address of the facility, et al. All went fine until they demanded I purchase "refundable" travel insurance from an official Nigerian agency. I didn't get it, so they finally stopped writing AND CALLING me on the phone.

May 25 2010 at 9:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

Watch out for Voyager Career Services in St. Louis. Its a big ripoff.

May 25 2010 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheryl

Receiving job offers from 'HR Recruiter' who does not list company name, and is hiring you WITHOUT an interview - SCAM...no one hires without an interview. If they have your name from scouring MONSTER or other career sites, they can use your name or your e-mail address.
You ALWAYS have to interview for legitimate jobs. And don't fall for the old 'work from home as an accountant' scam either. There are millions of creepy offers and e-mails, but you always need to follow the most logical protocols in job seeking - ie - apply to specific companies, receive response from company name, do not supply personal information, and you are never hired by a legitimate company without an interview.

May 25 2010 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marina Del Rey Jobless

I have been looking for 9 months now, and I agree with all of this as well. I also would like to say , small or mid size companies are hiring people with experience , they get them in, use them for 3 months or so, get all there ideas and time, then once they see how to do it boom , I was let go, I was like WOW!! I couldn't believe it, I thought to myself what a idiot I am. They took 7 of my 10 ideas and put them into place and duplicated it in the Philippines for cheaper, told me I was in it for the long run and , I stood by and watched them do what they ended up doing to me.... I knew in my stomach that this would happen however I just never wanted to look at the truth as I knew what I had to do to get that job. Looking back at that company , it has all but outsourced its entire staff and has 3 people that are running it that have no idea what they are doing, and 50 plus employees have come and gone from what I see and hear from other people I did become friends there from. I believe in Karma, and Good things happen to great people, and all these shady places , well I think you get my point...
One thing I would like to say again is , be weary of companies asking for all your ideas after they hire you. Remember they were doing it before you arrived and after we all leave, dirt bags.... Yes , I am mad still, I feel like they just ripped me off in a way....:) Good luck to everyone out there looking, It does get so discouraging looking for so lon and interviewing day after day...

Mikel in Santa Monica

May 10 2010 at 9:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Marina Del Rey Jobless's comment
Ron

Mike in SM-

That is so true, Same thing happened to me in A place in El Segundo, CA- I was hired as a manager , and the next thing I know I am out the door on my butt as the owners said I didn't fit with there company culture...To that I answered , You mean that people here come in late, leave early, complain all the time and over promise and under deliver on what we do here, or did there...I agree with you, karma is a %#@!%!@ and the job market is Turing, keep on trucking, lol, and trust me , the best thing that company ever did was fire me. Companies culture, LOL---- Sorry, I liked to bust my ass working...LOL !!

May 10 2010 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bob

obama and his stimu-less was the biggest hoax, lie and fraud on jobs, security and everything else once was america, kenyan illegal liar.

May 10 2010 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply