Geico Announcer Loses Job By Voicing Opinion

What began as a simple, private voice-mail message expressing concern over gay and racial slurs turned into a massive smear campaign that ended up costing Los Angeles voiceover actor D.C. Douglas a lucrative gig as a Geico announcer.

Upset by some recent personal and derogatory comments made by FreedomWorks Tea Party members about Congressman Barney Frank and John Lewis during the Health Care Reform debate, Douglas left his opinions on their company voice mail and included his phone number.

-- See salaries for jobs at Geico.

"I called as a private citizen to make a complaint," Douglas said. "Racism and homophobia are my Achilles' heel, but unfortunately my message included inappropriate words and I am sorry for that. However, telling their members to harass my employer to get me fired is an egregiously disproportionate response to my actions."

It seems that Matt Kibbe, president and CEO of FreedomWorks, the conservative lobbying firm headed by ex-Republican House Majority Leader Dick Armey, listened to the message and researched Douglas, finding out from his Facebook page that he had just recorded the Geico "Shocking News" campaign. Kibbe then posted Douglas' message, home phone number and web address, as well as Geico's business line number, in a blog post on biggovernment.com. Kibbe instructed readers to "Feel free to contact (him) ... call his employer too. Let them know that you ... are now in the market for car insurance."

Douglas was immediately deluged with angry voice-mail messages and so many emails that his site was overwhelmed and overloaded. His Wikipedia page was vandalized."There were death threats, and the vast majority of the emails were filled with hate that didn't exactly fall in line with good Christian beliefs," he said. However, four people out of hundreds did say they didn't agree with him, but they didn't believe in the damaging actions of their fellow Tea Party members.

While no sticks and stones broke his bones, words definitely hurt him. The day after Kibbe posted his blog encouraging members to complain to Geico about their announcer, Geico held auditions to replace Mr. Douglas' voice on the campaign.

"Geico made a quick corporate decision to drop me from the campaign 10 hours after Matt Kibbe's blog post appeared," Douglas said. "Mind you, I don't blame Geico. They shouldn't have to take on an angry mob over an anonymous voice-over guy. They have a business to run and can't waste time getting caught up in FreedomWorks' circus. And they've been very good to me in the past."

Douglas believes his connection to Geico, a company already on FreedomWorks' boycott list for pulling their ads from Glenn Beck's show, is the main reason he was targeted so forcefully. "Matt Kibbe couldn't care less who I am," said Douglas, explaining that he believes Kibbe just wanted to bring more negative attention to Geico for discontinuing their advertising support of Beck.

The irony is, according to Douglas, that he shares some political beliefs with Kibbe's FreedomWorks. "Even I'm for abolishing income tax and going with a progressive VAT," he said, adding that FreedomWorks is basically striving for "lower taxes, less government and more freedom."

"So how do they achieve (that) by getting me dropped from a Geico campaign? They don't," he concluded.

-- Watch The Daily Show's parody Geico Fires Voice Actor

Next: Doritos Guys Make a Mark in the Business World >>

Lisa Johnson Mandell

Lisa Johnson Mandell

Editor

Lisa Johnson Mandell is an award-winning multi-media journalist and author of Career Comeback--Repackage Yourself to Get the Job You Want.  Her work has been translated into 20 different languages, and she is a frequent expert guest and commentator on news and talk shows. She has been featured in The Wall St. Journal, on the CBS Early Show, NBC Today, CNBC, Fox Business News, Dr. Phil, Oprah.com and many other media outlets.  Lisa discusses her AOL pieces each week and interviews vital guests on the web TV show, This Week in Careers. Learn more on LisaJohnsonMandell.com.

chuck

Oh, by the way the real expert on teabagging would of course be Barney Frank. Liberal's must be so proud of that fag.

May 03 2010 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chuck

Just another stupid liberal clown, that's all. Hey I heard that Obermann and Maddow are going to be axed soon, God what a blessing for normal people that would be. When Obermann pimped his own father's illness to crawl farther up Obamas ass and sell Obama care I couldnt believe it. What a slimmy liberal scumbag he is. Good ridance to Keithy and Maddow.

May 03 2010 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kimplin

Since when is getting called a bad name an appropriate motive to ruin someones carrier? Am i to believe that the next person who calls me a name deserves to go hungry?

May 03 2010 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JP

Advise to libs
quit using the term teabaggers. As soon as you do you have engaged in mindless namecalling, indicating to me you don't really have a point.
If there was such rampant namecalling, why hasn't someone come forward to clain the $100,000 reward for such evidence. The oersons in question had several TV viseocams right behind them. Could it be that no one used those terms?

May 02 2010 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oladapo Odumosu

Sal:
I did not listen to lefties. I saw with my own eyes, Teabaggers calling Rep Barney Frank and others names like wetbacks, niggers and fags. Some of my colleagues at work who are Republicans also saw the news report. The real shame is that no member of the Republican Party found it neccessary to criticize this rubbish. This is capable of provoking a civil war. Maybe this is what the Teabaggers want.

May 01 2010 at 2:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
asswipegwb

shelby
What purpose was his question asking "how many mentally retarded people belonged to the "Tea Party"? I guess he should
answer the reason for that question? How politically incorrect can you be. His inference was definetly understood and now he is trying to cry "foul". Since when does haven't
a different opinion make you less of an intellectual? State
your opinion without "name calling". Address your disagreements.----------------------- I'm sorry but I happen to agree with the guy - and i do believe he meant what he said - the "teabaggers" are a bunch of RETARDS - along with Palin , the truth hurts , thats why he lost his job , like Ive said all along , the "teabaggers" did him a favor - I wouldn't buy Gieco Insurance if it were the last insurance company outhere !!

May 01 2010 at 1:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
asswipegwb

g
And here we have the left liberal method, for all to see, plain as day. They are so easlily flushed out. They demonize, name call, amd make baseless assertions based only on opinion with no actual facts to back it up. Your words clearly indicate that you do not know the definition, try looking it up
-------------------------- now yur dictating tom me to look something up and what if I refuse - ya gonna shoot me , kill me in some chicken shit fascist manor - see you peopel are always dictating on what others need to be doing , and I'm telling YOU bugger off you piece of crap!!

May 01 2010 at 12:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
asswipegwb

budman
salesman said:
"Its called freedom of speech dude, so let people say what they want, and you wont get fired. Besides on this issue, you might be wrong. People are not homophobic, they are just against homosexuality, as I am, because it goes against God's word about who and what we are as people, and how God made us to be. Its a sinful lifestyle..."
--------------------------------

How nice to be able to be so selective about what you want to follow from the Bible. So when did you sell your daughter into slavery in a foreign country? Do you eat shell fish? Pork? Wear clothing of mixed fibers? Along with a bunch of other stuff from the same scriptures.

Until you start following all the other stuff, shut up about the gay stuff.
---------------------------------well I'm not stickin up for the "budman" but in a way I do agree with the person , Homosexuality is not norm,al - how many stud horses have you seen mounting another stud horse , or a gelding for that fact ?

May 01 2010 at 12:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
asswipegwb

g
-------------------------why you fascist little slut - here ya are trying to convince me that yur a smart fuk , TO BAD , I still think your an idiot and a stupid one at that - you wanna follow around some old piece of lyin crap like Palin so be it - it just makes you look all that much more ignorant and just that much more of a hypocrite -ya lil faggot asshole!!look that up !!

May 01 2010 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric Ericson

GAY-CO idiots, I never would use your service, since I saw your absolutelly S T U P I D commercials!!!!!
Hire Barney Frank for denture TV commercial, give him a chance to spit out what almost 100% Americans can't understand!

April 30 2010 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 20 - April 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.