Three Ways to Emotionally Recover After Being Fired

Being fired from your job can be a very traumatic experience. A roller coaster of emotions will hit you at once as you process the idea of not having a job and how you'll manage without a steady income.

There are many things you can do after losing your job, such as networking and visiting a career center. But the first few moments, or even days, you should focus on your own emotional well-being. If you do not recover emotionally from being fired, than you won't be in the right frame of mind to start a new job search.

When faced with the traumatic experience of being fired from your job, here are three ways in which you can recover emotionally:

1. Channel Your Emotions

When you're fired you will feel a lot of emotions from anger and resentment to depression. It is never good to hide your emotions, and the key is to channel your feelings in the right way. Writing, painting, listening to music, dancing or even cooking are all great ways to channel your emotions and to lower your stress level.

2. Stay Active

Maintain your normal schedule so that you stay active. Instead of hiding away as soon as you lose your job, continue to go out with friends and colleagues . By staying active with your daily schedule, time will pass quickly and your mind can recover from what has happened. In addition, this gives you a chance to start networking and letting others know what kind of position you would be looking for.

Hitting the gym or taking walks is also a great way to stay active both physically and emotionally. Working out triggers endorphins and is a great way to have time to yourself to clear your head.

3. Talk To Someone

Reaching out to someone, whether it be a counselor or a close friend, is a great way to talk through your emotions. Even though the economy has left thousands without jobs, that doesn't mean it will feel any less traumatic. Talking with someone helps you sort through your emotions and start to prepare yourself for the next step. Free counseling is available through community centers and local churches.

To help recover emotionally from being fired, don't hesitate to ask for help. Friends, family and even your past employer can guide you to the right resources you need to get your life back on track.

Next: How to Deal with a Dismissal Letter in a Professional Manner >>

miz ayn

hey lynn...i live in puerto vallarta...and i would say it is very NOT dangerous to live there...lol...i don't read the news or watch t.v. anymore but "they" say the border towns are horrible....very dangerous...it IS inexpensive to live in mexico...and once you really learn to live there...it gets cheaper and cheaper....the best part is the zero stress level...mexicans are different...i am yet to see a mexican (FROM MEXICO) throw a fit or start a fight or yell at another person...and i have been there almost 4 years..spend a winter on the beach and you will never return to a REAL winter

May 16 2010 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leigh Pacific

Thank you, Bill, for this wonderful article!

May 05 2010 at 9:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bagelstreet

Although I find a little moisture in my eyes I want to thank Deb, Bill, and Gregory Stanley for your kind and considerate words of encouragement. Not only have you improved my outlook but the fact that all of you would take the time to respond is as gratifying a gesture as I have seen in the past 6 weeks.
God bless all of you for your interest and know that I will heed everything you said in your comments. I really do appreciate your interest in a stranger's plight and know that I will land on my feet. Thank you again, bagelstreet.

April 25 2010 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrDoughnut

The scammers come out of the woodwork in times of down economies to capture the desperate people's last dime.

Some like Talx feed off the desire of companies to stiff the unemployed out of their UE benefits by out right lying.

Walmart uses Talx to cover up the wrongful terminations by their rogue managerial staff in hopes of delaying or denying UE benefits and potential lawsuits. Right now the states are getting wise and rejecting Walmart/Talx and paying out the rightful benefits of the unemployed who have been unfairly terminated.

April 25 2010 at 5:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PAULOCEANF

where did that one poster go,, hi i am a rich doctor, wish he would come back, that used to crack me up every time.

April 25 2010 at 3:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

After getting the boot, I didn't get back, I GOT EVEN!
After several years at an insurance company, I was suddenly let go under some trumpt up allegations. I was angry and truly hurt, but I resolved to turn it into a positive event.

The following Monday, I went to their biggest competetor and told them everything. The name of the company, the department where I worked, what I was trained for, and what I could accomplish for them. Then I asked point blank if they could use me, if not, then I was off to the next competetor on my list.

The girl looked at me stunned, then said she would be right back. When she came back, she had the branch manager with her.
He looked at me and said he just made a phone call to my former employer..."This is our job application. Fill it out for our records and we'll show you to your desk if you'd like."

Because of my determination, I landed a sweet job! There's nothing that says you can't take your training with you!!!

April 25 2010 at 3:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elmer

Lost my job of 7.5 years at Wal-Mart all because I said
Bullshit indirectly to Support Manager. It was more of a personal thing with the Asst. Mgr. as he had been complaining that I was too slow getting my work done. That was in 2009, and I still can't find a job. My age has something to do with it, as I am mid 60's. I am just waiting to hear that he gets canned, cause he is an Asshole. I liked mhy job, and did my work, but that was not good enough for him. Life goes on.

April 25 2010 at 3:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miz ayn

heh....so?...jump ship...i ran off to mexico where it is cheap to live..i pick up work where i can..teaching english...selling tee shirts...waiting tables...whatever...my stress level is ZERO...my health is great...and my tan is ever present...it does not lok lke things are going to be repaired anytime soon in the good ol US of A...get rid of your baggage and JUMP...i am in my mid 50's and have NO interest in eating corporate doo doo forwhatever time ihave left...consider your options...fear nothing...and turn it over to the God of your choice...in'shallah

April 25 2010 at 1:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to miz ayn's comment
Lynn

Wow, really? I always wanted to do that since I was in Mexico (in 1988) and me some Americans who did just that. I have some money but not enough to last me in the US. In Mexico,however, it would work. What about Social Security? Isn't it dangerous to live in Mexico?

May 09 2010 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jusbroke

I feel your pain I was with Walmart for over three years. Around Nov last year they stared mentioning store not making money and cuts. So I put in extra hours to cover other ppl shifts came in on off days when no coverage, missed my kids activities, trying to show I am an asset to keep. I was still let go because I didn't take into account my manager was sleeping with my co worker. They then hired a replacement for me that makes 7.45 less than I did. go fig. Lesson: never put work before family.. 4 months still no new job

April 25 2010 at 1:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jusbroke

That is one hilarious comment.. That really brought up my spirit even though I'm unemployed. Good one :-)

April 25 2010 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply