Find your happiness, then find your job

It took me less than four months of working for a major TV/Radio network in Manhattan to realize that I was headed on the wrong career path, but boy did I wish I had figured it out before taking the job.

My regret? I never took the time to really sit down and weigh all of the positives and negatives of the journalism career I was about to embark on. More importantly, I never even asked myself, "Is this going to make me happy?"

Yes, you have to work and yes, it's not always going to be fun. But it doesn't have to be miserable either. Who said you weren't suppose to enjoy what you do for a living? Plenty of people like their work. Why shouldn't you be one of them? It's true that your twenties are about "paying your dues," but shouldn't you at least pay your dues in a career path that is going to fulfill you as a person?

I learned the hard way that declaring a particular major in college doesn't mean that you are FORCED to pursue a job in that field. Prior to looking for your first job, make a list of what would truly make you happy. Even ask your family and friends for their perspective. Have they ever witnessed a passionate fire in you or an excitement in your voice? If so, what were you doing at the time.

Once you have a solid idea of what you enjoy, you're better equipped to search for a job that will allow you to fulfill your passions. Take it from someone who just changed careers and is much happier for it... before you jump into the job hunt, take the extra time to figure out what will make you happy. It will likely save you a lot of time and frustration in the long run.

Chuck

I thought your guy was going to get us out of the war? Why did he go int Afganistan if Benladen...OBAMA'S so called target is in Pakistan?
Why is unemployment NOT goiong down with OBAMA'S spend of the stimulus package money?
Let's see where can OBAMA vote prsent again and not stand up like a man for his decesions?
Why did OBAMA let Chrysler take $550,000,000 of it's bail out money ...your and mine tax money to create 400 new jobs and 12,000 related jobs in Mexico? Opps OBAMA missed that one !

April 13 2010 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck

who signed the stimulus package? OBAMA If what he is doing is working with all the spending he is doing why is unemployment still 9.7% and underemployed 17%? When is OBAMA and all you liberals going to stand up and be a man and not look for others to blame? He is in office for over a year now when dose he take credit or blame for what is going on?

April 13 2010 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck

to David post @ 7:11PM

I missed one letter not being a capital.
Your guy OBAMA has spent more money in less than 1 year than BUSH did in his last 4 years. Look the facts up.
Hey didn't your guy tell all the U.S.A. that he would not sign a bill after it was passed for 5 days so we the people could read it? What did it take him...less than 24 hours to sign the healthcare bill? Promisse broken. Why tell me dose he need 16,000 new IRS agaents at federal wages (not close to what most Americans make) and with all their benifits to inforce healthcare if it is so great? Ok now next OBAMA will tell us the American car industry is to big to fail...we all will have to buy only cars from them!
Let's see what "Back Room" deals were made to buy votes for this great healthcare plan OBAMA himself will not go on...and while we are at why doesn't the Senate and Congress go on social security?
David I could have used one of those jobs he let Chrysler make with our tax bail out money in Mexico. Oh wait OBAMA will not give any tax incentives or help to companies taking jobs out of the country he says. I guess another lie!!(2-9-10 Milwaukee Journal business section page 3D)
After OBAMA gets done we will not even have any wepons left to defend our country against his MUSLIM friends.
Why did OBAMA cancel the National Day of Prayer? Even Congress starts their day with a prayrer. He is christian I thought? Or he tells us. I hate to go on cause my finger will get tiered.
Isn't it time OBAMA stands up and be a man and stop looking, like all the liberals do, for some one else to blame? If the bail out worked why is unemployment still 9.7% or underemployed 17% in the country. He couldn't even run a Mc Donalds with all his job experience. They can't run the Post Office either.
I know, he is looking to vote PRESENT again like he did so many times in the Senate. And they ask why we have a "TEA PARTY". Never saw anything like this with any other President..One good thing...Obama said "He is only going to be a one term President" Have you ever heard any other President say that?

April 13 2010 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
knowshowtospell

Hey Spookieken, since you're bashing Chuck for not knowing how to spell, GRAMMAR is spelled this way, not grammer!

April 13 2010 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc

Chuck,

Quit whinning, and go join the military and defend the country. There is your job. Bush started the war, go help finish it. The army needs a few good men. Are you one of them, or just a whinner.

April 13 2010 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrDoughnut

I just found out an organization is going after Talx for using fraudulent and deceptive practices to deny unemployment benefits to unemployed workers.

Hopefully a class action suit will develop then I will provide the evidence necessary.

April 13 2010 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John L

The points that all of you make are valid. I spent 24 years in the business insurance field, and saw the screw-ups from BOTH business and government executives. The problems go back to the 1970's, and KP's suggestion to get a liberal arts degree (that is, broadly educated), has merit--- but be sure to learn your math. I have supervised a lot of young workers who can't do simple arithmetic. It is never too late, and I am interested in others' ideas. If we could harness the skills and minds of everyone on this site, we could accomplish something....

April 13 2010 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beck

We are not blaming OBAMA but why support someone that is making things increasingly worse????

Oh look no jobs, but you have to pay this.
Oh look, lets give josbs to this small sector, while 90% of the others are loosing it all.
Lets bailout this company and this company and charge who? US! Oh wait, I forgot. NO JOBS TO BEGIN WITH!!!!

April 13 2010 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Taterbug

Tony. You are an idiot. I worked as a carpenter for 14 years,finally working my way up to $18.00 an hour,which is good in upper East TN,and Like you,I once said "I wouldnt get out of bed for $10.00 an hour",guess what. now I am drawing a measly $200.00 a week unemployment,and would be damn glad to work forty hours a week at $10.00 an hour.Be careful what you say,you just might call bad karma upon yourself.

April 13 2010 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wheezer

Be Happy? Then I want a job as a Bartender at Hooters.

April 13 2010 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply