Confessions of a TV Newsroom Intern

internThis is what I "get" to do as a television news intern: Go out on shoots in all kinds of weather, log hours of video, catch random sightings of Al Sharpton and, oh yeah, work side-by-side with the people I aspire to be. I do way more than what's required of the average college intern, and that's why it's taken me three weeks to get out my first blog post about the experience.

To quickly catch you up, the first few of weeks of my third news internship in New York City went a little something like this: I got my ID card (they mistakenly labeled me as a "freelance" employee rather than an intern, and I gladly accepted), I got acquainted with the host and producers of the show I'm interning for, and I settled into my temporary desk.

The first few days are always confusing for everyone because the show's reporters/producer/host doesn't know your skill level. They try to be informative and not insulting, while I try to come off as knowledgeable and not obnoxious. I quickly found the good middle ground and I think I'm really clicking with my new team. In other similar internships I might spend hours in front of a computer screen transcribing entire interviews so that the on-air talent can use two 10-second sound bites. I wouldn't complain about such dues-paying work-but this time around I'm getting much more responsibility. I'm very excited.

Almost every day I go out with a camera person to do "man on the street" interviews. Some would say it's the least glamorous type of interview, there's no set or interesting lighting. It's just you, the cameraman and the millions of opinionated New Yorkers. I get to ask things like, "So, what do you think about the MTA budget cuts?" and I love it.

Sometimes you meet a self-proclaimed political pundit and sometimes you meet an up-and-coming designer who will try to sell you a chain-link vest. As long as they give me a good sound bite, I just take their card and smile.

This is just the beginning of my news internship confessions. In New York City, it's bound to get a lot more interesting. Cue Al Sharpton...

Next: Confessions of a Casting Director >>

foreigntrade4

Wholesale Clothing Brands,Outdoor Jackets、Free Jackets、Down Jackets、Boots、The North Face、Canada Goose、Mamort、Mammut、Arcteryx、Columbia、Supras、Nike、Ugg、Asics...

October 11 2011 at 5:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jesse

Can you say Tawana Brawley?

March 11 2010 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anne

Is everyone on AOL a racist? O.o it was a story about a girl being an UNPAID intern, (affirmative action doesn't have anything to do with internships). And she referenced getting a glimpse of Al Sharpton and him making things more interesting, I've seen him too he spoke at my college last year. Did I listen to him? No, did I get a glimpse of him, yeah. No matter who you are it's interesting to see a big political figure; not matter what color or party. I've seen G.W. Bush, Clinton, Dole, and a bunch of others in my short 24 years. Doesn't mean I support them.

And to all you people without jobs with education who are jealous about this girls job; INTERNS USUALLY DON'T GET PAID,(and when they do it's not much, like me... I'd rather be working at costco making 10 an hour than working with lawyers making 7). It's more like volunteer work, So I'm sure they'd love to hire you on for free or at minimum wage for a 20 hours a week.

March 11 2010 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bergie

Follow your passions, Love, and ignore the... completely irrelevant complaining and whinging of many of the other people who have replied to this... I'm a Journalism student up in Canada who is seeking a broadcasting internship for the coming summer because, like you, TV production is one of my passions.

... to the whiners: Hi, yeah, this isn't a political blog, this is "Wow! This is the beginning of my life working in the field I'm passionate about---I want to share it with you because I've been in school for years for this and I am just so excited!" Why are you attacking her? Good job, to the people who put her down for daring to show her small piece of joy in her life. You must be so proud of yourselves.

March 11 2010 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DJaye

My heart bleeds for such ignorance, like these comments. Let your wealth, health and quality of life speak for you not a ridiculous, 'one-liner', in a blog. Sad for the man who lacks intelligence in today's society. Good luck with that-

March 11 2010 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DJaye

Hey! I typically NEVER post anything on these sites but it's wonderful to see a blessed, thriving young woman out in the world making a name for herself. I'm in the process of doing the same for myself. Though a bit rough, what's a quality lifestyle without the hard work? I take it you're intelligent enough not to take a few of these "weirdos" (for lack of better words) comments' to heart. Don't follow your dreams rather lead, polish your skill, stay ahead of the game and the rest will follow. I just followed your 'Twitter' and look forward to the hearing progress and good news! GOD luck with everything

March 11 2010 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

Keep up the good work. Send some of your stories to Kids Talk Radio and Super School Press. Our student backpack journalist can relate to what you are doing.

We love to get news from the field.

Suprschool@aol.com

March 11 2010 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CT Stewart

you need to check your grammer and spelling before you criticize ANYbody's writing

March 11 2010 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Moss

What I think has been lost here is the changing world of career or work after college. There was a time when the degree was enough to get you an interview. Where you worked or played (!) during your summer months was really not that important. But now you must find work in some related field during the summer so that you already have a resume upon graduation. My alma mater has a fund, set up by alumni, to compensate students who intern but cannot earn enough to continue their schooling. Many work for non-profits that pay little or nothing to these interns. Check with your school. They probably can use your financial support in this matter

March 11 2010 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

Is it just me, or is this girl not very articulate for a journalism major? I thought that her "confessions" were poorly written, as if she was a teenager talking about her first gig at McDonalds. If you're going to "be" a journalist, you should learn how to write more articulate.

March 11 2010 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply