Mariann Donato Entry #3: Frustration Sets In... Again

Frustration Sets In... Again

My life is in limbo.....won't you please acknowledge my existence?

I have been on the job hunt for a couple of years now and even after all this time there's something I still can't make sense of or wrap my brain around - the recruiter/executive search/headhunter relationship (or perhaps lack thereof) with potential job candidates.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

YES..... there are 26 million Americans currently out of work. I would assume that a huge percentage of us are dealing with these people, either directly or through job boards. While the fact that they're interacting with such a large number of us undeniably keeps them extremely busy, I wonder if they realize that WE ARE THE REASON THEY ARE SO BUSY! WE ARE THE VERY REASON THAT THEY HAVE THEIR JOBS!

I'm not even addressing the proverbial black hole we encounter at the the initial stage of applying for the job. I have spent endless hours/days/months applying for positions - we fill out applications, customize cover letters and attach resumes and hardly ever hear back - not even a confirmation in the form of an automatic email that acknowledges receipt of it and thanks you for applying.

I don't mean to appear naïve - just human. Do they understand that it's real live people they are dealing with and not widgets? By virtue of the fact that people-placing is their occupation, could they possibly extend professional courtesies to those very same people once they search them out?

Even as I write this, I am in the state of suspension again where I'm in an advanced discussion with a recruiter about a sales position. In this case the recruiter contacted me - let's call this the courting stage where the hunt is on and they are anxious to hunt you down: they call, email, call again, email again until they get a hold of you. Once that happens and preliminary pleasantries are behind us, we are told that we could very well be considered as a qualified candidate and that we'll continue to the next step and have the recruiter recommend us for the position. From that second on, we're totally reliant on that individual to do our bidding.

Wouldn't it be nice to know how you are faring? The scenario that presents itself most often is sad - a few days go by and you hear nothing. Should you call or email for an update or do you run the risk of being deemed a pest? Better wait a few more days. You do and decide to call. Your voicemail message goes unacknowledged for another day, so should you call again or better yet, should you email? You choose to email the next day and that, too, goes unanswered. Before you know it, a week has gone by and you are now feeling like a stalker.

Does it really have to be like this? In this time of electronic everything, where most communication is only a click away, even the busiest of people should be able to afford the applicant the respect of a quick update, even if the feedback is not good. I think it's called closure. I would so appreciate that!

NOTE: If you have any job leads for Ms. Donato, please let us know in the comments below. Thank you.

Next: Tory Johnson's Feedback: Getting a Response >>

Follow Mariann's Job Search:

Lisa M Blanton

Chuck, forgive me for saying so but you sound like a victim. Would u like to change that and be pro-active and take charge of you life? Here is an option I chose to take, and I thank God for it. It's not too good to be true, and it's not a scam and not one of "those things".and I'm going to offer it to you, and I hope you pay it forward. I have an incredible opportunity for people that are coachable and willing to learn something new. You said starting your own business is alot to manage, and it's expensive andd it's a risk. I've found something that is the opposite of that. My business is going to change the way we use the internet, and the way we organize our lives, and that's just one of our products, and you will see that we can help you save your hard earned money, now EVERYBODY is going to want that!! Would you like to be a part of something like that?? I've never been to this site on AOL before and I stumbled on to this site a few days ago, I clicked something pertaining to Mariann Donoto and her difficulty with finding employement. I saw all the people who have been struggling. I have something that will help SO many people. Get back to me if you'd like to look at a new option. Have a great day

March 12 2010 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

I think this is getting off topic. WHo ccares if people have bad spelling/grammar. Lets focus on Mariann and how what she writes can help others, the more important topic. Stop acting like you are five.

March 12 2010 at 7:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shar42

Oh Please...anyone on the posts are not taking an English Exam or writing their Resume.. It's chatting.

March 11 2010 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rw

Since all of you who are UNEMPLOYED are sensitive about how you are treated...can you honestly say that YOU treated fairly the unemployed when YOU had a job. Lesson when you reach the EMPLOYED side again, remember what you wrote aabout how you were treated when you were unemployed.

March 10 2010 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
meems

AAA if your gonna comment about the whole grammer thing and be so negative leave the reply button open so we can reply to you. you sound like the kinda person nobody would want to work for anyway. besides every computer corrects spelling someone with your high knowledge should know this.

March 10 2010 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SensibleThinking

Mikey, your suggestion that some who make comments take an English course is good. Many posters and bloggers today do not use proper English and have very poor spelling.

However, Mikey, you might want to consider YOUR OWN post.
You suggested we take 'a' English class. The correct usage is 'an' English class.

March 10 2010 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon Hall

Your make-over was great! The first thing I thought as I looked at your beautiful profile - you already have all the ingredients to work for yourself. Sales and management, now you have the look, why not start your own Mary Kay business. I'm not a representative or anything like that, but I know the product and the ones that make BIG money have what you have! I wish I had the sales and management experience you do. Lots of luck, you look great, now go get um!

March 10 2010 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Billie

Mariann...I have a small press, a tiny, boutique press that I am trying to grow. Sadly, I cannot afford to hire your kind of talent on a full time basis, but maybe we could connect over some free-lancing projects.

This is the first time I've seen this feature, which I came upon while looking for something else...so I have no idea how we might contact each other off the site.

If you do, and would like to talk...contact me!

Billie

March 10 2010 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I have read many of the posts on here. May I suggest that several of you take some English courses? As a manager when I have read a resume or interviewed a applicant I sat and listened to the person speak when I asked questions. Many times over the years, I had the individual sit and write in a few paragraphs as to why they think I should hire them over other equally qualified candidates. Your verbal and writing skills come into play in almost all jobs. Yes, we all think we are "Special" and over qualified; however, that said there are many people with those same exact qualifications. Make yourself STAND OUT FROM THE REST.

March 10 2010 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Spellfreak

I have so much compassion for all of you who are unemployed. Thank the Lord everyday that I am retired (soon to be 89) after having worked until 70. However, if some of you would go back and proofread, spellcheck, etc., before hiting the "Send" button, maybe your resume cover letter, too, might escape File #13.

March 10 2010 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 27 - Aug 3

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.