An Insider's Edge More Important Than Ever

job huntA recent study by CareerXroads found that of all the full-time positions filled in 2009, 51 percent came from internal transfers and promotions, up from 39 percent in 2008 and 34 percent in 2007. And of the remaining positions that were filled by outsiders, 27 percent came from referrals.

One executive at a marketing firm with open positions on his team recently told me that he's considering only candidates he knows personally or who come recommended by a trusted colleague. "It's just too much of a risk to bring in someone from the outside," he said. "They might look good on paper and do well in a few interviews, but you really don't know how they'll actually perform on the job once they get here."

Read the full story >>

Liz Lynch

Editor

Years ago, Liz Lynch ran out of her first networking event after five minutes, but since then has become a top networking strategist, international speaker, coach, and radio show host appearing on CNN, ABC News, Fox Business News, CNBC.com, Forbes.com and in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and USAToday. Previously, Liz worked at Goldman Sachs, Disney, and Time Warner, and was most recently vice president of business development and strategy at BusinessWeek. She holds an engineering degree from UC Berkeley and an MBA from Stanford University. For more smart networking tips and resources, visit http://www.SmartNetworking.com.

Kat

This is totally useless advice for anyone who doesn't have a job period. With unemployment being so high this advice serves no purpose!

March 06 2010 at 9:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
W.

You want fries with that?

March 06 2010 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FredRK

This is why there are so many people unemployed. The article indicates there are 22% remaining in getting jobs outside of networking. Half of those are unemployed, (10%). That leaves 12% that may have a chance of getting a job the old fashioned way, "pounding pavement", "hitting the bricks", turning in job applications. Do the figures quoted in the article include companies that recruit at colleges? Sounds like, if you don't know somebody in a company or someone working, you don't have much of a chance in getting a job. It is also hard to believe any statistics today, especially via the Internet. Don't use this article's numbers as an excuse to still not look for a job. They could be far away from being accurate.

March 06 2010 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise F of Staten Island

This is the exact reason why I am out of work for 2 years. This corporation hiring within or it's WHO YOU KNOW tactics is not very new, this artical is not very new, this happens all around us. In my last job I had 2 interviews, one with the overall boss and one with the overall boss and departments supervisor. With my resume in hand and the way I conducted myself I got the job. NO HYPE OR PREFERENCES. OH AND yes before I was laid off in January of 2008, I was with this company for 20.9 years. And outsider coming into the firm with eyes wide open. I guess I turn out alright.

March 06 2010 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
njolong

This board is supposed to be a comment board on the article above. WHY do you allow people to use as a dating site or as a way to advertise for their online job sites which most likely lead to nowhere? I do not see ANY valid comments on here.

March 06 2010 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to njolong's comment
badhog

I totaly agree with njolong

March 06 2010 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tese42s

Scam's and virus's, Scam's and virus's.

March 06 2010 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 20 - April 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.