Hire This Guy #1: Mariann Donato's Initial Reaction

I think getting a makeover is a great idea and long overdue. A more updated appearance will certainly help to boost my morale and give me the confidence I so sorely need. It will make me feel as though I truly can compete with the scores of other candidates vying for the same jobs.

Tory's right about getting out of my comfort zone; I've been using publishing job opportunities (or the lack thereof) as a crutch. The truth is that I should be concentrating my efforts on those industries that have a far more positive outlook. It is extremely difficult, however, to change gears when I've been entrenched in one industry for so long. Perhaps her idea of combining my passion for sales with my love of the culinary arts is one way of zeroing in on a second act I can feel comfortable about.

Now that I look back, and knowing what I know now, the use of job boards should just be part of the mix of the job hunt. Time is so much better spent in networking, whether it's in-person, cold-calling or social networking. Interacting with actual live real people also helps to make me feel less isolated, more challenged and empowered.

Next: Mariann Gets a Makeover >>

Follow Mariann's Job Search:

Rod C

Mariann: Hello. I am trying to reach Sharon Hails. Can you help me? I spoke with her years ago when she was at CVS. Do you know how I can reach her? Thanks, Rod C.

May 26 2010 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

This story is mine! 57 yrs old, never out of work for 40 yrs and applying for positions written for me without success. In several cases I trained people within the industry for the positions I have applied for, thinking so positive when I apply, an easy interveiw (true) and immediate hire. Nothing, abosolutely nothing for many of us 50 plus people out here. I take care of myself physically, never thinking my numerical age would prevent being hired for positions I am highly qualified for and deserve after investing myself over the years in a career. Thank you for sharing this story and follow thru on suggestions for many of us in this exact situation.

March 10 2010 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debra

Job expectation today is daunting. I was recently "severed" from my company a month ago. Propects for someone nearing 50 is very similar. I saw the writing on the wall a litle too late, but I have been enrolled pursuing a bachelor's degree. Face-to-face is not easy, since most employers screen via the internet and won't see an applicant who walks in today. I was told that, "no one would see me without an appointment." How do you get that appointment when resumes are pre-screend for "buzz" words. Walk-in opportunities are restaurants, movie theaters, retail stores and even they have computerized systems to buffer the face-to-face meeting. Networking and volunteering is what I have been doing to make the right connections. Mariann, keep up your spirits and search. Consider writing for magazines, emagazines, etc. Write a book about your experience. You could have the next best-seller. The best to you.

March 10 2010 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

To Irene,

I am sorry to hear of your plight. I know that at my age if I was looking for a job I would have the same problem no matter how much experience and education. It stinks but no one does anything about it as a group. Oh yes, there are many laws both federal and state but it does not stop it. I represent people who have been discriminated against for many things but age discrimination really bugs me the most. Older is the one thing we will all become so why would anyone discriminate against what they will be one day? Discrimination of any kind is wrong and terrible but age discrimation is stranger than any other kind. We are damaging our own futures and making our society a joke. Many societies respect older people but not this one. There have been advances in so many ways that have changed our society such as the feminist movement and groups promoting racial fairness. But even members of these groups would toss out older people with the trash. Older people come in all races, gender and sexual preference. We all have to get stronger or our futures are bleak.

March 10 2010 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie Rawlins

I am in the same boat. What i have done is returned to school at the local community college to gain current skills while waiting out the bad economy. Mariann mentioned that she has an interest in culinary arts. Perhaps returning to school to pursue that area of interest is the ticket. The make over is a great idea.

March 10 2010 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leslie

It's hard to jump back into the job market and interview for jobs at 50 years of age and compete with 19 year olds. The job market is a cruel and unfair environment. If you don't know anyone, it can be unbearable. I believe Maryann should work from home and offer independent book publishers and authors advertising and marketing services and possibly publishing services as well. She can call it: Senior Publishing Services. She can keep her dignity and work from home and not be humiliated by interviewing for jobs with college kids.

March 10 2010 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karen

Mariann story mirrors mine. unemployed for 2 years, 50 years old, no college education,but college training and a job I got when I was in my twenties and worked my way up through hard work and dedication. I worked for a major bank in the back office until they downsized. I have had 3 interviews with no results. Many employers have my resume but either I don't hear from them or when I call the positions have been filled. Now my money is running out and I'm scared. I don't know where to turn to next. I live in a very high area of unemployed people and the number of people looking at the same job is high. I look in the daily newspaper and online there are a handful of jobs where half are for minimum wage. I would have to work 3 of these jobs to pay for my mortgage, car and insurance. I have no health insurance and the jobs that are offered don't offer insurance or its cost half your salary. I'm at a loss.....

March 10 2010 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ron

The volunteer suggestion is very good as it is always easier to find a job when you have one, your in the mix.She could capitalize on her past experience by approaching a related industry such as advertising sales for a marketing firm. She ubderstands copy and the costs related to publishing an ad. She should target some companies where she may know some people and offer her services on a commission only basis, ergo no risk for the employer. She can look for a different compensation package after proving her worth on commission only. Most employers will try to get a successful commission only sales person on a fixed salary plus bonus for several reasons that benefit the employer. Lastly show some independence and strength even if you don't feel it, confidence sells (not to be confused with overbearing bearing)Good luck!

March 10 2010 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

It is a disgrace and also illegal for an employer to reject someone based upon age. It is horrible that this discrimination continues anyway. I have a lawfirm and I most definately want mature people to work in it since experience and common sense are so important. It only comes with age. Unfortunately many companies like the idea of young women running around the office or young men too. Nothing wrong with that but the preference should be on the person and not the age. If some of these companies discriminate a few lawsuits should change their attitudes.

March 10 2010 at 8:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Susan's comment
Irene

Discrimination re age is practiced not only by attorneys but by employment agencies for law offices. As a legal assistant with 40 years legal experience, I have for the past two years had to rely on legal work for persons wishing to appear pro se. I feel depressed and defeated. A degree in BA and legal experience means nothing. Very sad. How can we help the economy by spending money if we have no job that provides the money to spend?

March 10 2010 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carl

Hey Mariann,
I will make my comment simple. Was in advertising
for many years and situations became challenging.
Always hated networking but signed up to start a
network marketing business and started to recieve
checks monthly. NOT rich, no large boats or mansions.
But paid my bills going on about four years.
This is not a pitch you can email me for further details,
but the bottom line is that I had to roll up my sleeves
and do some work that was out of the box. Funny, one snowy
day I was so in debt with no money coming in that I drove
over to Home Depot looking for work. But I knew little about