Who Earns More Than The President?

obamaPresident Barack Obama gets a nice little salary. Certainly some CEOs, entrepreneurs and movie stars are earning millions (and in some cases billions) of dollars, so he's by no means the richest person on the planet with his $400,000 annual salary. And he gets some pretty sweet perks -- a fancy plane, an amazing chef and one of the most famous addresses in the world.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

But if you stop to think about all his job entails, he's never really off the clock. Although he takes vacations, he can't completely clock out as long as he is in office. Regardless of where he is, the Secret Service is monitoring his every move and he must respond to any crisis that arises. The only other job that requires you to be on call 24 hours a day without fail is that of a parent, and no one's paying you to do that, unfortunately.

We took Obama's salary (not including his perks) and divided it by the 8,765 hours in a year, to figure that he earns $45.63 per hour. Again, not too shabby, but considering what a president has to put up with -- constant danger, huge responsibilities, graying hair, people throwing shoes -- it's a tough gig.

Here are 10 jobs that, while important and demanding, probably don't have the same pressure as that of Obama's, and they pay more than he gets:

1. Computer and information systems managers are involved in technology administration for a company or organization. They work with leaders to ensure the company is meeting all goals and standards they have set for technology.

Hourly pay: $49.90

2. Dentists perform routine maintenance on your teeth and gums, ranging from preventive treatment to certain types of procedures. In other words, they allow you to smile with confidence.

Hourly pay: $66.54

3. General internists care for and treat adult patients for diseases or ailments relating to internal organs, such as heart or gastrointestinal issues.

Hourly pay: $55.61

4. Judges and magistrates preside over various legal and civil proceedings in order to assign awards or punishment based on the law.

Hourly pay: $59.95

5. Lawyers perform a wide range of legal duties, ranging from acting as counsel in a trial or working on behalf of organizations and corporations to ensure they are abiding by the law.

Hourly pay: $54.35

6. Marketing managers coordinate the promotion and marketing of a product or service for a company. They are involved in all marketing aspects for the company, from the initial brainstorming to the execution of the plan.

Hourly pay: $51.26

7. Post-secondary business teachers teach business courses in college and universities. Their students are typically working toward an MBA, although they might be studying any number of fields.

Hourly pay: $60.92

8. Post-secondary physics teachers teach post-secondary physics courses at universities and institutions and often perform research, as well.

Hourly pay: $57.76

9. Psychiatrists work with patients to diagnose and treat mental and behavioral disorders or conditions.

Hourly pay: $71.93

10. Securities, commodities and financial services sales agents sell stocks or bonds to investors in exchange for a commission. They are in constant contact with customers to see what stocks or bonds might interest them and find out how they want to proceed.

Hourly pay: $53.54

What Job Suits YOU Best? Take quiz and find out >>

Anthony Balderrama

Editor

Anthony Balderrama is a writer and blogger for CareerBuilder.com and its job seeker and workplace blog, TheWorkBuzz.com. He researches and writes about job search strategy, career management, hiring trends and workplace issues. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/abalderrama and view his blog posts on TheWorkBuzz.com.

Harkken

ok ... this is a little bit off ... and by a little bit I mean it is completely wrong ... Yes Obama is considered to be working every hour of his life as president ... Most jobs are not ... so the 8765 hours in a year can not apply to a normal worker as they work only around 2100 hours a year ... give or take. so that 49.90 becomes, not 437373 a year as you suggest but 103792 ... maybe make more an hour than the president but the president gets paid for 168 hours a week

December 17 2011 at 6:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nsmith

Oh and one more thing, I didn't gloss over your remark about the employment rate, and I wasn't too lazy to watch the address, back in 98,,,,infact I am sure that I did. However, I was running my own business and raising small children at the same time. I was just a little busy, I am sure it slipped my mind as it seemed to not cause catastophic effects on our Country, and it wasn't met with EXTREME offense, and must have been agreed to by all. Next the employment rate...Obama gave a best guess estimate at 8 percent..- based on the economic experts and all the information that was just coming in during the disaster....as we were melting down.....headed for the cliff. Noone could be exact. With such an unraveling mess that was rapidly getting worse...750,000 jobs the last two months before Obama took office...BEFORE HE WALKED IN THE DOOR....feel free to check those facts...So honestly, I thought a to be within a 2% margin was almost Genius. I truly expected MUCH WORSE.. But thats just me!! I also appreciate his efforts to do something for US...in this Country...Pretending the problems don't exist..has truly got us here!! We all need to WAKE UP!!! The truth hurts....but it is still the truth and it is up to us..WE ARE THE PEOPLE and WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT.....it is all our problem.

March 01 2010 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nsmith

I keep getting a email reminding me of this response...and I did respond to you. My father was in WWII I respect all of our service people and am sorry you lost your Dad. I do not blame Nixon. I was too young to understand any of that. I also am not a historian, or really like the whole blame game that is constantly being played.....and I did "forget the fact mentioned in Clintons address....and cant remember much about it. I know we did not put all our young men in harms way nor did we bankrupt the country. The air strike was in conjunction with on going UN measures and a response to Sadams continued defiance. Much different...than all of this. And yes There was a Republican congress when Clinton was in, the Budget was Balanced and we did have a Surplus. If you want to give the Repubs credit, I won't argue, cause I don't have time for the research it would take to prove that to myself. So take the credit if you want. The ecomomy was in much better shape. But lets consider then that there was also a Republican Congress and Senate for most of George Bush's term......They did NOT do any of those things under him!! There was IRRESPONSIBLE DISREGARD to the fical path they were paving for us to end up here....In every other aspect as well. You said the housing crisis started with Clinton, Why didn't they fix it? Our National security was a mess, and 911 did happen on his watch. These are OBVIOUS things that we all should know. As, I said earlier, I had much to do with Aviation securtiy and know this for a fact then, and Now we all know, intelligence about the pending attacks were ignored. They did also mislead congress into voting for this war specifically regarding Iraq, involvment, and WMD......Those are facts. I don't claim to be "the best learned"...as you put it, but I have been paying close attention,...But I can tell when I see the same guy lie about something I do know...and I know IF your lying there is a reason, and it is usually not good for US....The American Tax Payer....or the son who lost his father, or the Daughter of someone that fought for this country in WWII. In Their Memory this Country is better than what "we the People" WHO THEY FOUGHT AND DIED FOR....are getting now. They deserve better than what has happened to this country, and what is going on now. I only wish you well personally, I just hope that more people do not get SO caught up in the blame and sides game that they continue to miss the fact that the AMerican people are tricked into voting against their own best interests. When the insurance lobby spends 1,000,000.00 dollars per day for over a year to run ads...and visit with legislators... to put a STOP to health care reform....It is probably not because they care about YOUR HEALTH or MINE...they are a for profit entity! A BIG Business FOR PROFIT....that is what they are concerned with...NOTHING ELSE. PROFIT!!

March 01 2010 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RunnnRev

I don't know where the writer got her facts from. A lawyer making less and hour ($54) than a teacher ($60) that's crazy. Some lawyers charge as much as $500 buck an hour.

And the 8765 hours (actually 8760 if you multiply 25 times 365) presupposes that Prez doesn't sleep. I get the point that there are lot of people who makes more than Prez but you could have supported your conclusion better facts

February 27 2010 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nsmith

Well I must tell you, I have NEVER waisted any time on a blog such as this, but I have been sick, and out of boredom, and a little rage, I did enjoy this. Especially since your "Hottness" was brought into the mix. Damn the facts, the girl is HOT!!! LOL It had no place, but I in closing, that you would appreciate knowing that thru. this whole banter, I thought you were a middle aged man...with a pot belly, and a bald head, storing his amo.
I am glad you are happy with your life IF you are being truthful. Also, just so you know..I am 45, and not the wrinkled hag you are imagining with twinkies at a keyboard. I am well acomplished in my own right, and of my own making. I have 0 debt and a high credit score, a solid, 21 year marriage, and raised 3 children, while I ran my own business full time, with no help from anyone, except for from my husband, (a blue collar worker) when he returned from work. The kids are well grounded, have always got/and continue to get good grades. They make good decisions, and choose good friends. They will all attend college and get a good start at life. More you cannot ask for. And though I loathe the actions of the last president, and the behavior during this past election of the Republican Party..and the clowns that surrounded them, and certainly and proudly I did align myself with Obama and helped to make a difference to elect Him. He is now our President. I will also be able to admitt it If that was the wrong choice in the end and will continue to seek Truth to make better decisions moving forward, I am very happy with his behavior thus far. I hope you can say all of that when you add another 15 years of battle to your belt!!!....and if you can...I will respect that. And we will both STILL be able to weigh in on these issues....This is America...Too bad missleading and lies are SOOO acceptable. It is not with me. Good Day to you too "your Hotness" Lets talk when you grow up a bit.

February 26 2010 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Realist

N. Smith

I have so tremendously enjoyed your playful banter. I also think that you are really cute with your statment that you have won this debate. The thing that is truely wonderful is that you don't know me. You don't bother me either. I have steadfast confidence in many things. One being that while you are probably old and wrinkled I am young and super HOT. Thirty years old with a great rack (all atural sweetie), spectacular home and great family that love me, republican and democrat for your info. I, unlike you, love them all... Would never tear into someone for their beliefs, you should
be ashamed.. Although I could easily rely on my looks, I don't. I graduated top of my class in college and curently am an Officer who runs a business with my husband and crew. Did I mention that my husband loves me soooo much; we are so dang kissy and cute all the time. Everyone should have love like this but not many do, only us really lucky ones. You have to be capable of giving love and kindness to get it back. I'd take note of that if I were you. I do run a company and rub shoulders with Judges, Constables, Attorney's,Paralegals and Doctors mostly. My spare time is spent traveling the world where I hike volcanoes, seeing lava up close is much better
than TV, gaze up close upon the Pyramids at Giza, Europe is a hoot and Central America is so great I've been back two additional times. If you are fit at all like me backpacking across Mexico to enter Belize is the way to go. I am greatly respected by many and definately do not get my rocks off my trying desperately to outwit somebody on the world wide web. Get a hobby and know that you can't get under my skin although you have very embarrassingly tried your best. I am not alone out here either with my political views and have no battle with you. I will continue my studies and beliefs and unlike you I will put my time to good use and make something happen
in the 2012 election while you sit and belittle people sadly on the computer. Aren't you proud of yourself, I bet your family thinks you are just disgustingly splendid, if you have one, of course. Have a nice day and this will be the last message I have for you because you are simply a waste of time for me. Have another twinkie and workout your keyboard.. Good Day!!

February 26 2010 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to The Realist's comment
Get A Life People

Hi "TheRealist" (sorry, I don't know your first name). I appreciate very much you taking the time to send me a note of support, and for your touching comments. I also enjoyed reading your "banter" with NSmith, as well. However, I must confess that I don't often run into 30 year old women who seem to share your world and political views. It is refreshing! I also share your hope that the young generation will get involved with this country and make a stand along with you, and stop listening to their friends who are likely more concerned about who wins American Idol, The Bachelor, and America's Top Model, than they are about voting for someone with integrity to run things. Instead, we got Mr. Popularity, and now we have no checks and balances on the people calling the shots. The result of this behavior, as you know, we won't see for years to come. NSmith and others say it's an investment (a suprising comment coming from someone who claims to be debt-free). This is more like over-spending at Christmas and running up the credit card because you feel "obligated" to buy something for all those in your family that can't take care of themselves and make the right decisions (i.e. buy a house within your means). But, sooner or later, the bill will come due, and what do you do then? Either transfer the balance to another card, file bankruptcy, or worse, get your children to pay it off.

Since you shared some personal things, as did NSmith, I am almost 51 years old (still have my hair and stay in decent shape and people think I'm 40ish). Have a wife of 20 years that I've known since middle school (we got started way late). We both have an 18 year old daughter who has won national beauty pageants, has a 4.0 GPA and will be her school's Valedictorian (she attends the same private school since she was 3 years old...people say "I can't afford it." Yes they can, we just decided this was a top priority, so I drive older, paid for, cars...don't drink and party...don't play golf, etc....Yeah, I know, I have NO LIFE! :-) ). Btw, I am also debt-free, live in Atlanta, and own a beach house in South Carolina. I am no different than NSmith in many respects, and so find it astonishing that someone from the same generation as I would have such a bewildering recollection of history.

All the best to you and your family. It is nice to communicate with a patriot that knows the meaning of loss. Please continue to know that your grandpa was a hero's hero. He, like my dad, fought in a war that nobody wanted, just like our men and women today.

Rick

February 28 2010 at 9:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Realist

Rick

I appreciate your comments and respect your father for all he did for our country. My grandfather stormed the beaches of Normandy on D-Day, June 6, 1944 but by the grace of god was able to return a war hero. Your father is a war hero as well he just paid the ultimate price. My thoughts and respect are, and will always be, with you and the families of all our military who fight for this country of ours. I currently have a brother over seas and pray every day for his safe return. On another note, I would not be too disturbed by N. Smith who I assume is a very sad excuse for an American. You though I am glad to call my brother. I sent a message to N. Smith which is not in a tone I often use but felt it necessary after being blasted for simply making comments as to my beliefs. I was not speaking directly to N. Smith and they felt it okay to completely attempt to tear me appart. I now have lowered my values to quickly put N. Smith back in their place and hopefully they will now be gone, my values are now back in place and I will no longer be speaking with N. Smith... You take care, Rick and thank you for caring and paying attention to the state of this country. Truth is all past presidents made mistakes, just some bigger than others.. I pray for my children that America will get back on it's path and stop this madness we are currenlty experiencing..

February 26 2010 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Callie

The scuttlebutt is this: There is gargantuan discontent with government. We are simply fed up! So government should listen up, the American people are tired of being gouged not only by our government, but by local government. Sick of hearing how broke everyone is. How about the struggling American people that can't afford health care, dental care, vision care? Or if they can afford this health care the fees are huge and takes up just about everything that we have coming in. As a senior person, my small pension is going for health care. This is not poor little me or whoa is me...it's I am fed up with the system me...Oh, give me a 200,000 dollar salary and I will make it last...so don't cry poor mouth to me.

February 26 2010 at 8:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JERRBEAR12

MAYBE MY COMMENT WAS MISUNDER STOOD. I WAS TRYING TO SAY THAT THERE ARE A LOT OF OVER PAID PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY. PEOPLE LIVING WAY OVER THEIR MEANS.

February 26 2010 at 7:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nsmith

I actually shamelessly listen to all the clowns you mention, and local news channels, It is difficult to sift through all the BS...but I believe I do it well. When you see the same person...answer the same question in different ways...you can assume they are a snake....when a fact is spewed into a bold face LIE to scare people....and you KNOW the fact...or when they Let people believe that a man running for office...IS a terrorist and do NOT correct the record for the people...It looks like they are trying to DECIEVE them...and they are. It is prety simple. I am not a legal genius, or a Political historian, or junkie for that matter...But I am a pretty good read....Liars are liars...and there are a lot of them...and on both sides...much is broken...I do not believe that Bill Clinton sent troops to Iraq. It was Daddy Bush....who raised taxes and left a huge deficit himself...Bill Clinton perhaps wasn't tough enough on some things....but he DID Balance the budget and by the time he left office, and he did leave us with a surplus...and a plan to reduce the National Deficit!! THOSE ARE FACTS...easy to find ...and well known. Bush knowing we still had a Huge deficit...(his Dad added to...) came in...did away with all the and gave the surplus BACK TO "the people"....Tax Credit...He gave THAT money back (and it mostly went to the wealthy...(and I know that is debateable)...so lets not...my point is....He gave the money back before paying the bills....Its not like the National DEBT dissappeared..it was there....the Extra money should have been applied.....He failed to keep us safe, and thats not a talking point...I was involved in aviation security....Bin Laden had been a threat for a long time...and specifically to aviation security....a known threat ....everyone was knew it...He chose to ignore it...He didn't act swiftly enough, and we were attacked....and THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL...and though Bill Clinton may have thought Saddam may be hiding WMD...We now know for a fact...that Dubya did not allow his own inspectors to conclude THAT THERE WAS NO CONNECTION between the attacks and Iraq, nor was there ANY WMD, HE LIED...Many of our Boys have died and been mammed because of it...and many of these people involved...DICK (not to mention any names) are STILL just LYING...and I don't like Liars that are trying to people and the people believe much of it... Good luck to you, and I do appreciate discussion that is tactful...

February 25 2010 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Nsmith's comment
Get A Life People

Okay, one more time...methinks you aren't as learned as you claim, and clearly aren't interested inconsidering the "other side." Just to set the record straigh, I voted for Gore (no Bush fan am I), but that's for another time.

Take a moment to Google CNN Clinton Address to Nation Iraq, Dec 1998 and you will see the excerpt of Clinton explaining to the American people why HE attacked Iraq. You don't have to believe it. I do, because I watched it on TV LIVE. If you're too lazy, here's how it starts, "Earlier today, I ordered America's armed forces to strike military and security targets in Iraq. They are joined by British forces. Their mission is to attack Iraq's nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors."

FACT: Clinton balanced the budget only AFTER THE REPUBLICANS GOT CONTROL OF THE CONGRESS IN 1994!!!! I notice, by the way, how you conveniently glossed over my comments about the unemployment rate and deficit skyrocketing after the Democrats took contro (though I'm not surprised). Your comment about "Bush not keeping us safe" frankly wipes out any credibility you might have. That is downright laughable. Are you blaming 9/11 on Bush and giving the previous 8 years under Clinton (including the first WTC bombing and later the USS Cole) a free pass? Really? Truly? Bye.

February 25 2010 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Get A Life People

nsmith..

One other thing. My father was killed in Vietnam (1967). But I would lay money that you only blame that war on Nixon like all the other liberals and give a free pass to the precious JFK who started the war in Vietnam, and LBJ who esclated it, making it almost unmanageable by the time Nixon arrived in 1969.

February 25 2010 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 20 - July 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.