The Resume - how good do YOU look on paper?

resumeA dean of the Hofstra University School of Communication recently told me, "Your cover letter and résumé are the first things an employer sees -- and if they're not right, they're the first things an employer throws away."

So, how good do YOU look on paper?

Could you look better?

It might be time to "jazz up" the resume before your next interview. If you're a college student or recent college graduate, perhaps consider tweaking the titles of positions you have listed or rephrasing your extra-curricular activities.

For instance, during my senior year of college, I was the only person to cover the political beat for my university's online news outlet. I noticed that some of the other student beat reporters were "selling themselves" on their resumes as "staff writers," and then proceeding to explain what they covered... health, transportation, education, etc.

However, I chose to place on my resume: "Chief Political Correspondent for NassauNewsLive.com".

Who would you rather call in for an interview?

A student staff writer who writes about political news for a college news Web site -- or the Chief Political Correspondent for NassauNewsLive.com?

It's the same person, the same workload, but here's the key difference: One description sells itself on paper and the other leaves an employer questioning the importance of your role and the extent of your involvement. Don't keep employers guessing -- because chances are, they'll just toss you aside.

Lesson of the day: What's in a title?... A LOT!

airie

"As an amployer," Denise can't spell either 'tweak' or 'advice' correctly. Perhaps her "employer" credentials are tweaked.

March 14 2010 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MsE

@Denise: Tweak, not "tweek" and advice, not "advise"

March 08 2010 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

Shame is right! Let's encourage our young people. Things are extra competitive these days, which means you have to be THAT much more unique and THAT much more impressive. This is especially true for our young professionals.

February 28 2010 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Robinson

Shame on that negative comment. Let's think positive and never use the initial BS.

February 27 2010 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edlyn Aquino

Its wonderful tips to everyone of us i hope i can find a job and it helps to me a lot.Thank u for letting me to comment once again gudeve and godbless

February 23 2010 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Edlyn Aquino's comment
Denise

I have been receiving resumes from young job seekers who certainly "tweek" their resumes.
I am put off by the way certain mundane and routine tasks are overblown into executive type responsibilities.
As an employer I view this as B.S., and see it as a result of poor advise dispensed by sites such as this.

February 27 2010 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply