Work Like Your Nail Color, Even if It's Nude

office attireWith all the negativity and depression clouding the working world these days, author/radio host Mary Foley thinks it's time to lighten up a little -- or at least to add a little color. She's been through all the ups and downs the economy has had to offer, and she chooses to look on the bright side, which is an inspiration to us all.

Freshly graduated from Virginia with a degree in engineering, Foley took an $8 an hour customer service rep job, "just to pay the bills." That was with the then-unknown AOL, and she moved up, up, up with the company, eventually heading up corporate training, then getting out of the company back when the getting was good.

Since then she's earned a master's degree in organization development from Pepperdine University and authored two books, including Bodacious! Woman: Outrageously in Charge of Your Life and Lovin' It, and Live Like Your Nail Color. She currently is the co-host of the fabulously friendly "Girlfriend We Gotta Talk" radio show, which is broadcast live in Richmond, VA, and can be found online at GirlfriendWeGottaTalk.com

For AOL Jobs, Mary applied her colorful concepts to the working world:

What does your favorite nail color – or naked nails – reveal about you?

Your fingers (or toes) are really mini-indicators into your personality!

• If you usually have a French manicure, you are one classy, sophisticated and incredibly practical gal. Your nails are neatly manicured, without going to extremes, and the look goes with every outfit.
  • Are you wearing mocha or a shade of brown? These earth tones mean you're a woman who is grounded, approachable and someone we can share our deepest thoughts with.
  • How about pink? Pink is the quintessential girlie color, and one of the most popular colors for nails. If you choose a light to medium pink, you are friendly, happy and lighthearted. For those who prefer the wilder side of pink – aka, the hot pink and fuchsia tones – then you are known to be on the talkative, fun, and exciting side.
  • Wild about red? Considered to be the wildest nail color of all, women who love red nails are usually leading the "Passionate About Life Parade" with their energy, enthusiasm, and confidence.
  • And if your nails are naked? According to a recent survey, only about 35 percent of women paint both their fingers and toes, which means most women paint only one or the other, the most popular being their toes. There are a lot of reasons why women don't paint their nails; but one thing is true: having naked nails means you're willing to be your true, authentic self and show it to the world.

office style

What does your nail color say about your career?

Because fingernails are always visible, they communicate more about your career than do toenails. Sixty-one percent of women surveyed have naked fingernails. It's considered by many that well-manicured naked nails are the mark of a confident, modern woman. However, naked does not mean neglected! Far too many women in business have ragged, bitten, unkempt nails that can communicate to co-workers or a potential employer nervousness, incompetence, and lack of confidence.

Then there are the gals who take the time to color their fingernails. Gals who wear a French manicure or mild nail color usually like their career and feel comfortable with how it's going. They literally look and feel polished! Gals who sport a brighter nail color are usually excited about their career and have found a personal sweet spot of success. Their confidence is high and they are willing to take more career risks because of it!

More Telling Features
You've said that becoming more comfortable with job change is "just a nail color away." How so?

Especially in today's nail-biting, roller coaster times, many women are gripped by fear. Questions such as 'What is going happen?', 'What will I do?', 'Will I be OK?' paralyze our hearts and minds. Stop biting your nails and give them a paint job! And when you do, use the following two rules for picking a polish to help you take the fear out of change, one nail color at a time.

Rule No. 1: Always Pick a Different Nail Color

Don't reach for your favorite color. That's too safe and it's too easy to get stuck in a rut. You can make a slight color change or really go for it. For example, if you usually wear a French manicure, how about going fora light pink the next time? Or, perhaps a hot pink! You could really avoid the rut and go with a bright red or sparkling blue. If you love the new color, fabulous! If you can't stand it, take it off! Either way you took a risk and you lived through it. Trying on new nail colors is a warm-up for trying on bigger changes in your life

Rule No. 2: Always Make Sure Your Nail Color Has an Inspiring Name:

There are so many great nail color names today that there's just no excuse for a name that's boring or that you don't love. The name of your nail color should make you laugh or inspire you. When you glance at your fingernails with Make Mamma Happy or know that your toes are poking out from your sandals with Wine Not, your nail color name is egging you on to crack a smile. A nail color name like Networking Queen can inspire you to keep meeting new people who may help you with your job search.

What do you do when you love the nail polish color, but the name is booooring? Make up a new one! It's only a sticker, for goodness sake. In fact, change it several times if you want. Always remember, these are your nails and this is your experience. Be in the driver's seat and enjoy the ride.

foreigntrade4

Wholesale Clothing Brands,Outdoor Jackets、Free Jackets、Down Jackets、Boots、The North Face、Canada Goose、Mamort、Mammut、Arcteryx、Columbia、Supras、Nike、Ugg、Asics...

October 11 2011 at 4:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KAREN

NICE TRY STEPH--We gave you SOUND financial advice, and you didn't take it . Now go away & quit bothering us you rude, classless, immature kids.(Marrying comeone with a huge criminal record makes you "REALLY CLASSY")- Calling us UNTRUE names ,online
& offline and ignoring a person for years ON PURPOSE, because of their looks makes you "THE NICEST PERSON WE WILL EVER MEET")...OMG- delusional,you keep telling yourself that . Tell your shrink as well. Also,tell your shrink of how you "fake friendliness & class ONLY to cetain people"--but when no one is around the true URBAN, CLASSLESS, ROTTEN NUTACASE comes out of you...Your self esteem is SO LOW, that you TRY TO CONVINCE yourself of these things. How SAD & PATHETIC as well. Now go away & stop bothering us --we have had enough of you & your immature lies, and stupidity. Keep talking to yourselves because we dont give a crap !!!!.....GOOD BYE !!!!!!!!!

July 27 2010 at 4:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to KAREN's comment
Sara Sandra Cruz

umm were you drunk when you wrote all these comments because I see no other reason why you could have written these comment

July 06 2011 at 3:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Music of the Night

What about all the other nail colors besides French mani, brown, pink, red, and "naked"? I think it's odd that there is a photo of black nails, yet no mention of black in the article. So what about black, white, purple, blue, silver, gold, and all the other nail colors? Some women are very trendy and like to wear the "in" shades of the season regardless of whatever color it is, just to be "fashionable", but there's no mention of any of that. Personally, I prefer pedicures over manicures. I like to experiment with different shades on my toes, but for my fingers I like to keep it natural looking. I prefer to keep them relatively short and always neat and clean.

July 26 2010 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KAREN

Panda-- I worked at a bank from age 16 & all through college. I worked at Mass Mutual Insurance Company from age 22, until age 37 . Then in summer 2005, I decided to stay home and sell on Ebay & be with my our daughter , and my son in law. Oh, and by the way, the reason we have MONEY in savings/investments, and actually have the MONEY available to us, as
opposed to credit cards, is because we do something you may not be familiar with--it's called SAVING & INVESTING. Maybe you should try it sometime.How do you think we were successfully able to buy & sell 4 homes in a nice town??.. IT takes strategy, and smarts. The secret is, you
put aside a certain set amount for savings, and you invest your ENTIRE tax refund every year, plus anything extra you have from your 401k at work.(If you have a job that has a 401k). Do you think we got to this wealthy standpoint by going out & spending money on frivilous items ?? We ONLY buy what we need - nothing more. HOW DO YOU THINK PEOPLE BECOME WEALTHY LIKE US ???. It is something called : Saving& Sacrificing. And for you to say "so what if someone uses a credit card to get a few things they want"---BUT do they really NEED it ??? NO. Are they trying to "play the part of someone who is doing well, but really is not" ?? YES. Is it childish ?? VERY. Maybe someday, when you realize the value of a dollar & stop spending so much of the time & thinking you are entitled to buy all of this "stuff" that you do not really need, THEN you can finally start to get smart & truly SAVE & INVEST, like my husband and i started doing since 1993. Stop being so worried about "impressing others with what you've bought-for they know you've probably bought it on your charge card". The truly wealthy, or people that are doing very well, NEVER have to, or feel the need to "flaunt" anything--for they KNOW they have a sizeable amount of money put away , and it is a DAMN GOOD FEELING. A much better feeling than this "instant gratification", or that need to spend out of boredom, or to buy things you feel you "have to have to be cool". YOU KNOW WHAT TRUE COOL-NESS IS ??? SAVING & INVESTING--PERIOD. We KNOW that we have a good amount of money in many savings accounts, and investments, and that is SO MUCH MORE GRATIFYING -(to KNOW we have that money multiplying & working for us daily), then to just run out and blow it on a new vehicle, new this , new that . Ohhhhh, we could pay cash for ALL KINDS OF THINGS, such as new cars, new tech toys, trips, even a boat. BUT, as i said before, we get MUCH MORE gratification from KNOWING that we have that money in savings & investments--multiplying for us . It is a very ,VERY good feeling. A feeling that BEATS ANY NEW ITEM that anyone could buy. As they say, you cannot buy happiness--how true, how true. But you can have piece of mind, gratification, and a feeling of pride in KNOWING that you did the right thing , by saving/investing. For you see, people that are TRULY "doing well" , do not need to "prove it" to ANYONE. They already know they have the money. The only ones that are showy are the "wealthy wanna-be's". Those are the people who will spend their last time to hopelessly "attempt" to convince others that "they're doing well", when in REALITY, all of the wealthy people KNOW they are NOT, and that it is just a show, an act & a bunch of credit cards. The ONLY people that they are fooling is themselves. Be TRUE to yourselves- stop trying to "prove something" to others. Be smart people, like we are, and SAVE and INVEST. In the long run, if you save & invest, you will come out the winner over those others that are charging up everything. Because in 5-10 yrs, when they are losing their homes, & filing for bankruptcy, you will be shaking your heads at them & KNOWING you are not only in ZERO DEBT , but are "ahead of the game", when all of your savings & investments are multiplying. It is a pretty awesome feeling. It takes a lot of SACRIFICING, but let me tell you-- it is SO WORTH IT !!!!! You make your conscious choice- either keep on spending ,only proving to others that you are insecure, and ridiculous to go into debt, or DO THE RIGHT THING, BY SAVING & INVESTING . THINK about what kind of future you want -a future filled with debt, or a future filled with a lot of savings & investments. THE CHOICE IS YOURS. People choose their own destiny-look to the future. Plan for the future.Those are the truly smart & successful people in my mind. Have a wonderful day & Good Luck to you.

July 25 2010 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to KAREN's comment
Music of the Night

Someone ought to wash your mouth out with soap! God deplores the kind of behavior you have shown here, spreading gossip about others, insulting others, and boasting about your wealth.
"Whoever slanders his neighbor in secret, him will I put to silence; whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart, him will I not endure." -Psalm 101:5

Others tried to point out your rude and childish behavior, and your response was to hurl insults at them, make assumptions about them, and deliberately misquote them. You have revealed yourself to be immature and dishonest, not to mention very cruel. I can only hope and pray that you teach your child better manners than you have shown here. I'm sure you will probably try to insult me and try to twist my words, just as you did to "Panda" and "Pseudonym", but it doesn't bother me because God knows me and the way I live my life. I don't live to put others down and try to feel above other people as you do. I live my life to honor the Lord and to help others, with our lord & savior as my inspiration. Your insults cannot hurt me because I feel God's love and only his opinion truly matters. You need to learn to change your ways and spread love instead of hatred. By spreading your gossip, slander, and insults, you are only making things worse and prolonging the agony for everyone, including yourself.
"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip a quarrel dies down. As charcoal to embers and as wood to fire, so is a quarrelsome man for kindling strife" -Proverbs 26:20-21

I will pray to God for you, for your family, and for your neighbors. I will pray that God will will forgive you and show you the way to become a better person.

July 26 2010 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KAREN

To Pseudonym--To quote YOU so eloquently exactly from your posting: "no one classy wears a frech manecure, it's a tacky look that only getto hoochies and trailer park skanks like to waer".

FIRST OF ALL-- how would YOU know what "ghetto hoochies & trailer park skanks" are wearing these days ?? Sounds to me, like you've lived near them, or are one of them, are friends with them, or possibly have lived near them for quite some time & seem to know what they "supposedly wear". You even seem to know the lingo-(ugh)--interesting--gee, how eloquent. I doubt that ANY of them could afford ANY type of decent manicure. You do not sound like you could either. Oh, and by the way, credit cards do not count as "affording" things. If you could afford them, you wouldn't need the cards, and then only be able to "afford" the minimal balance.THATS NOT "AFFORDING THINGS" That's called "racking up debts & "being stupid/irresponsible".

SECONDLY-- a French Manicure has always been held in the highest regard, and is the most asked for manicure, and the classiest one--but apparently, since you must never go to get your nails doneat ANY DECENT PLACES, or you would obviously KNOW your nail information. My cousin owns a Hair& Nail Salon, in a NICE town, and The French Manicure is asked for the MOST. I doubt you could even afford her salon. And your knowledge of nails & of anything classy is laugh-able. But, your knowledge of these "ghetto-hoochies" & "trailer park skanks", seems to be extensive- gee, i guess we know where you live, or came from. You obviously have ZERO knowledge of fashion. And cannot spell to boot.
Gee, maybe, had you actually gone to college, you'd know how to spell. I strongly suggest you doing your homework next time, before your open your mouth. How tacky you sound. Have a "lovely life", as it sounds like you are
"quite the classy woman". You keep telling yourself that. How tacky.

July 25 2010 at 4:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to KAREN's comment
Panda

Damn, woman, you're the un-classy one. Spilling your entire life to bash someone who's not apart of yours, and then turning around to trash talk someone calling you out on your rudeness. Go get a life, read a book, stop taking that speed you're probably on. Learn some manners. Not everyone is wealthy, not everyone can 'afford' things. So what if someone spends a few bucks on their credit cards for something they want. How does that effect your life? Why should you even care? You're quite the nosy person, meddling in other peoples affairs with absolutely no grounds to do so other than to find some 'dirt' to complain and bitch about. So busy as a home-maker and e-bay seller? Really? I would think if you were you wouldn't even have the time to do all the snooping you're so obviously doing. Please, never join the outside workforce, you'll only add to the nosy hens clucking in the offices about this person and that.

July 25 2010 at 6:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat

Ogawd, nail color doesn't mean your wild, energetic, prissy or any of those things. Right now my nails are gold with tiger stripes and I'm tired as hell! lmao!

July 25 2010 at 1:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ZCatNip

I agree, names of polish was a silly thing to add to the article, and I think it did leave out that having clean and tidy nails is the most important thing for both genders! If you don't have the time to remove your chipped polish, use clear or none at all. Not just for women either - even for men who work use their hands at work, still should keep their nails trim and clean whenever possible. Hate to see men with long fingernails that are grungy, it is just as bad as chipped polish on a woman. (Or vica versa).

July 25 2010 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kinch63

Wow. I can't believe I just read crap. What a waste of time. Bye!!!! :(

July 25 2010 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KAREN

Wow, You need to calm down WOMAN !!! I don't know who you are, or who your neighbor is, but wow- you need to just let them make their own mistakes.
You don't need to remind them of things, just let them alone. Soon enough, young kids like that always learn the hard way. Just forget about them & be
happy that your life is going well. I am sure they have enough problems,and don't need to be reminded of their downfalls.Act as if they don't even exist.

July 24 2010 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KAREN

I always have french manicures and so does my 13 yr old daughter ... my daughter , stepson, and hubby are MY LIFE. My JOB is taking take of them & taking care of the household--cooking cleaning, etc, etc....That ALONE is a TOUGH JOB....BUT, in addition to my FULL TIME JOB as a homemaker, I also sell on Ebay , as a Powerseller. And my nosey, unemployed , psycho, NOSEY neighbor says to ME --"you don't even work"--it's like "HELLO" ??!!!!....I AM A SELLER ON EBAY & A HOMEMAKER, WHICH IS SOMETHING SHE'D KNOW NOTHING ABOUT, SINCE SHE SITS HOME ON HER AZZ ALL DAY & DOES NOTHING--SHE HAS NO KIDS-been trying to have them-must be too psycho. THEN, SHE HAS THE GALL TO SAY I DON'T WORK ??? SHE HAS NO IDEA HOW HARD BEING A MOTHER IS ---SHE WILL FIND OUT , IF SHE EVER HAS ANY KIDS-(OF COURSE THEY WILL BE FUGLY & PSYCHO LIKE HER & CRIMINAL TENDENCIES LIKE HIM), BUT THEY WILL FIND OUT HOW MUCH TOUGH WORK IT IS BEING A MOTHER & HOMEMAKER , NEVERMIND SELLING ON EBAY TOO....HECK, I WORK HARDER THAN MY HUBBY ....BUT I LOVE HIM NO MATTER WHAT & WE HAVE A WONDERFUL DAUGHTER WHO IS ON THE HIGH HONOR ROLL , AND EXCITED ABOUT GOING TO COLLEGE IN 6 YRS. SHE WONT BE LOSERS LIKE THEM. THEY ARE JEALOUS OF OUR LONG-TERM MARRIAGE OF 17 YEARS, AND THE FACT THAT IT TAKES THEM SOOOOOO LONGGGG TO EVEN GET PREGO. LMAO.
BUT AS I SAID, THAT WILL BE ONE SCREWED UP, FUGLY CHILD, WITH HER MENTAL MAKEUP---OMGGGG....GOD HELP THE WORLD....they think being parents will be a fun , show-off thing --lmao-- they are in for a BIG surprise ..they fight every time they take their fugly nieces & nephews, so i guarantee that once they have this fugly kid that theyre trying to have , their pathetic little 3 year marriage will crumble to pieces........Yep, it'll happen--the woman cries at the drop of a hat -she cant hack any stress, and she wants a kid ???? ... HAHAHAHAHAAA---OMG ---TOOOOO FUNNY !!!! SHE'S SURE TO HAVE A "PSYCHOTIC BREAK", LIKE SHE DID THE DAY I TOLD HER SHE WAS A LOW CLASS MORON WHO SHACKS UP WITH GUYS FOR AGES B4 SHE MARRIES THEM, AND LIVES IN THE CRAPPY CITY --THEN ACCUSES US ?? WOMAN, YOURE LOW CLASS, WILL BE A PATHETIC MOM, AND ARE A TOTAL JOKE OF A PERSON !!!! GO BACK TO THE CITY WITH YOUR CRIMINAL RECORD HUSBAND....(SHE CALLS HERSELF CLASSY, YET HER HUSBAND HAS A LONGGGG CRIMINAL RECORD--TOO FUNNY)--LMAOOO....GOOD LORD, THESE MORONS WILL BE THE MOST PATHETIC PARENTS ON THE FACE OF THIS EARTH ....AND FOR THE RECORD, I HAVE OVER 17 GENUINE COACH BAGS --ALL FROM 650.00--1350.00 IN PRICE, AND ALL PAID FOR IN CASH , NOT CREDIT CARDS LIKE YOUR PATHETIC LIFE !!!!!! YOUR WHOLE LITTLE LIFE SINCE 2005 HAS BEEN A SHAM ....YOU TWO NEED TO GO BACK TO THE CITY BEFORE YOU GET INTO DEEPER DEBT, BUYING ALL KINDS OF THINGS YOU CANNOT EVEN AFFORD , INCLUDING YOUR 2 PATHETIC COACH BAGS THAT YOU HAD TO CHARGE ---TOO BAD YOU DONT HAVE THE CASH FOR THEM LIKE WE DO .....SOON, YOU WILL BE USING YOUR MAXED OUT CARDS TO TRY TO BUY DIAPERS, FORMULA, ETC... THEN YOU WONT HAVE ENOUGB CASH OR CREDIT ---THIS WILL BE TOOOOOO FUNNY .....OMG ....WE CANT STOP LAUGHING .....

July 24 2010 at 11:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to KAREN's comment
Pseudonym

Geez! Share you're whole life story much? This was an article about nails, not about your issues. You sound like a nasty person anyway, making fun people having a hard time getting pregnant, how kind and sensitive of you. And how'd you like it if someone called your kid "fugly and psycho"? You sounds like a low class person yourself, talking the way you do. And for the record, no one classy wears a french manicure, it's a tacky look that only ghetto hoochies and trailer park skanks like to wear. By the way there's this thing called the caps lock key, learn to use it.

July 25 2010 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply