Decision Makers: UPS -- What Can Brown Do for You?

job interview To many people, UPS is the way to get that almost-late birthday or Christmas gift to arrive on time. Every day the company delivers 15.5 million packages. That's 15.5 million tracking numbers. This takes a lot of manpower, so it should come as no surprise that the company also delivers 408,000 weekly paychecks worldwide.

The company is well-known by it's former slogan, "What Can Brown Do For You?" It's also gained a foothold in pop culture. In the movie Legally Blonde the hot UPS guy makes a woman speechless. Same thing happens in Debbie Macomber's The Shop on Blossom Street; the protagonist's romantic interest is Brad, a handsome UPS driver. And in a decidedly unscientific survey more than 50% of those polled reported that their UPS deliverymen is "Very hot," or "Looks sexy in shorts." We should note that women deliver for UPS as well.

So what's it like to work at UPS? More progressive than you might expect from Big Brown.

A unique element to the work environment is that employees are discouraged from eating lunch at their desks and encouraged to opt for the company cafe instead. The policy extends beyond the corporate headquarters. An obvious advantage is fewer crumbs in your keyboard but the higher-ups believe the informal networking that happens increases efficiency. And yes, top executives put in cafeteria face time along with people way down the ladder.

We spoke with Matt Lavery, UPS's manager of corporate workforce planning, to get some insights for aspiring employees.

Leave the Suit and Tie at Home

The old "wear a suit no matter what" doesn't necessarily apply to job interviews here. "The majority of our applicants are applying for positions that would never require them to wear a suit," says Lavery. "However, it is always important to look presentable." If your potential position at UPS would have you wear a suit then interview in one. Interviewing to work in the warehouse or as a driver? Look neat. Unsure? ASK!

Don't Call in Sick to Interview

If you're looking for a job while you're employed it can be difficult to schedule an interview. But don't call in sick to meet with your UPS interviewer. Lavery recommends scheduling an interview over a lunch hour or after work. "That demonstrates a commitment to ethical behavior," he says. (Don't miss National sick day has employees calling in for no good reason.)

Seriously, Silence Your Cellphone

You know those not-so-subtle reminders in the movie theaters to shut off your phones or risk a pummeling from your fellow theatergoers? Remember that the next time you interview. Lavery frequently sees applicants answer their phones during interviews! As you can imagine, those folks do not get hired. It seems like common sense, but Lavery says the reminder is necessary.

The Priceless Tip

If you've learned nothing else, this tip from Lavery will make the ten minutes you've spent reading this article entirely worth your time: He suggests using social media to contact people who work in the position you're seeking. This way you have a good sense of the job and the working conditions before you interview. Moreover, your interviewer is likely to be impressed that you made the effort. Lavery notes, "Someone who is motivated and can work independently is highly desired, and it is far more impressive to demonstrate those qualities than to list them on a resume."

williamsgtrock

I worked for UPS this past season. I enjoyed the fast paced work ethic. They stress safety which was a big plus for me. As a driver helper / package handler I learned a lot about the structure setup and labeling and the DIAS system that makes things run smoothly. I had a excellent driver who gave me a great review and taught me well. I also gained a new appreciation for UPS workers / Drivers. I am currently waiting for positions to open in the Gardena Center,CA so I can apply as a full time employee. One thing for those wanting the same is to look at the UPS website everyday, maybe even twice a day and keep your Human Resources managers phone number handy and drivers. Looks good on your resume and serves as additional personal references when applying to UPS.

February 20 2012 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to williamsgtrock's comment
afatladysings

You will have better luck finding out what church the managers attend, joining the church and sing praises at the church about what a great manager he is. Keep in mind most UPS managers barely made it out of high school, they were promoted by the bubba method. You will find out that the company never tries to fill a position by the best qualified but who is the best bubba. Good luck.

February 22 2012 at 10:26 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Linda Elrod

I used to work for the U.S. Postal Service. I took on a temporary part-time seasonal position at UPS during the holidays a while back. I was put on the loading dock to load up trucks for delivery. The pace was fast and furious. I was the only female among physically fit, body-building young males. They pay was great, but the job was physically demanding and required a lot of physical strength to keep up. The guys liked it but I didn't. Perhaps an inside job would have been OK, but not the one I had. Give me the U.S. Postal job any day over that.

February 12 2012 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Linda Elrod's comment
afatladysings

Linda unless Im wrong the start pay load/unload is $8-$9 an hour. What part of the country do you live and that is considered good pay?

February 22 2012 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chipcarole

My career spanned 25 yrs, left in 1995 taking the buyout. Spent 23 yrs in mgmt, from on car to ctr mgr and many staff mgrs jobs as well. Today, live on cape cod with golf villa in florida, educated my 2 daughters thru masters degrees for both, never took any loans out for them. My wife and i live very comfortably all because I saved all my mgmt incentive every yr since 1974. Today living on ss, pension, and ups divs along with other ira's we invested in. We cannot spend it all. Ups was a bear to work for, I lost a lot of time at holidays away from the family, but it was well worth it. Tremendous company to wor for if one just does 110% everyday and doesnt bitch about anything...

February 12 2012 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
whodatter

the company does not 'care about you nor your family' after thirty years still regret first day,,,,,,,,pay is good that is he sole reason i stayed

February 12 2012 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
themidge62

I am a UPS driver . I have been one for 25 years now and I still Love my Job. If your crying about working at UPS boo hoo . Its a tuff Job and its not for everyone. I am looking forward to retiring in the next 5 years. UPS has always treated me with respect . So for all of you crybabies if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

February 12 2012 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to themidge62's comment
afatladysings

Im guessing your a feeder driver and have been for many years. You have the feeder driver attitude. "Feeder drivers are more important than all other employees", feeder drivers are the biggest babies in the company. Your a truck driver dumb ass anyone can do your job.

February 22 2012 at 10:01 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ajpoolio1

You'll work your A- - off,and still that won't be good enought.

January 29 2012 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fonz0121

I worked at UPS 34 years in the Union End of jobs there and like other commenters,the management team now and then left a lot to be desired,but where else can you make over 100k with benefits today!!! My Union Pension and SS gives me 70 k a year,thats more then most people earn from the greedy 1% today and am sitting with some stocks,that are a savings!!!

November 27 2011 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pendavin

They dont hire Ex Felons who are looking to become productive members of society again

November 21 2011 at 6:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
afatladysings

A corporation does not need a union but a union is totally dependent on the sucess of the corporation. So why do unions vote to hinder corporations profitability.

November 17 2011 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mycrowsawft

I worked for UPS (EWR GATEWAY) part time because I needed some extra cash for the holidays. I figured they pay me to exorcise so win win for me. I was already working a job literally across the street so I cam manage between the two. I was hired as seasonal but if you don't call out at all as I didn't they keep you after the 24th of December. The second they found out I had an interest in operating loading machines on the ramp ( belt loader, K-loader, commander) the exorcise part was gone. Either way for the 18 months with the company it was a blast. I enjoyed the work and the people around me. Full benefits for a part timer of course there were union dues but I was still just making a couple extra bucks. The benefits greatly out weighted the small amount of dues. I was promoted at my primary job to a position that paid enough where I didn't have to work two jobs. So I gave two weeks notice and UPS offered if I ever needed a 2nd or primary job again give them a call. My experience at UPS was great I recommend anyone who likes to make an honest living for a days work to go to UPS. Excellent benefits, pay is way above minimum wage, and the people are great. Anyone who is crying in these posts obviously wasn't looking to make an honest living thru a little hard work. UPS tell you to wear the proper shoes and attire for your own good. An empty cargo loading container weight 1,100 lbs empty. That runs over your foot without steel toes shoes you are going to be hurting. There are rules to be followed as there is in any job. UPS just happens to be the place that has better pay & benefits for putting in the work needed to earn your living in my opinion.

November 07 2011 at 1:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply