Believe it or Not, There are 2.5 Million Jobs Available

top jobsAccording to numbers just released by the Bureau of Labor Services (BLS) on December 31st, there were more than 2.5 million job opening out there, just waiting to be filled. That was on the last day of the year, folks, so that number does not reflect temporary holiday positions.

So what fields offer the most opportunities?

Where the Jobs Are

At the top of the list in the private sector is Education and Health Services, which had 550,000 openings. They're followed by Professional and Business Services, which had 415,000 openings, and Trade, Transportation and Utilities, which had 361,000 openings. These numbers say a lot for the value of education, as many of the best jobs in the top two fields require college degrees or special certificates.

Where the Jobs Are NOT

The fields which had the fewest openings included Arts, Entertainment and Recreation, which had 22,000 openings, and Construction, with only 53,000 openings. The latter is not surprising, however, since construction generally slows down in the winter months when whether conditions make it difficult to work outside. The next lowest number of opportunities is in the manufacturing industry, which had only 175,000 openings.

Best and Worst Places for Jobs

Now when you measure the current job situation by regions and hires, more people got jobs in the South than in any other segment of the US. There were 1,506,000 hires in Dixie in the month of December. The Northeast had the worst hiring numbers, with 748,000 people getting new jobs. The West added 903,000 hires, and the Midwest added 900,000, for a total of 4,073 million hires in the last month of 2009.

Even In This Economy People Are Quitting!

Interestingly enough, about 1, 401,000 workers actually quit their jobs in December. More people in the Trade, Transportation and Utilities sector voluntarily left their jobs than in any other sector (348,000) while Mining and Logging saw the fewest people quit their jobs (3,000). The South had the most quits (573,000) which would explain the fact that it also has the most openings. Not surprisingly, the fewest people voluntarily left their jobs in the Northeast (209,000).

The Bottom Line...

So, at least on December 31st, an Education and Health Services worker in the South would have the best chance of getting a job. Best of luck to you if you're in Arts, Entertainment and Recreation in the Northeast. If you are employed, you might think about taking a starving actor out to lunch.

-- 10 Companies Hiring Right Now

Alexandra

Ugh, I agree with Naana.. These articles only make me more depressed. I apply all day, every day to tons and tons of jobs. I have a Master's Degree, experience, knowledge, and a good personality and NO ONE will hire me. What else do they want? These people that are hiring either: (a) want those who are willing to make minimum wage OR (b) those who have experience in a particular field where it almost seems impossible. And unfortunately, I live in New York, where according to the article, is the place where the least is hiring, the least amount of people are quitting, so whats a 25-yr-old graduate to do?!?!

February 21 2010 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon Elliott

I am an Office Manager/Fleet Manager by trade---lost my job due to lay-off 15 months ago. Looking for employment--even checking into starting back to school in April, for training to go into another field (medical).

February 17 2010 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Theresa Hartman

I am one of those who recently quit her job. I was working at an outbound call center, trying to get business owners to show them our "free" terminals and accessories. There were very few who wanted us to tell them it was free, and find out it was "free with service". Meaning, we didn't just bring them a free thing and leave it, we expected them to sign up and THEN they could use it for free. I felt like a fraud, I got yelled and sworn at daily, sometimes hourly, and I spent most of my time trying to get my mind off what I was doing.

I'd rather have my integrity and starve than live trying to put one over on people.

I did, however, start my own business as a consultant with a very high-integrity company. It's building slowly, but it will eventually pay the bills. Please pray for my success, as I am my family's breadwinner. Thanks.

February 10 2010 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

There's a gazillion (figure of speach)jobs in the paper around Toledo, Ohio that you can make under $10 per hour and most want a 4 year college degree. Can you live on that? Why waste the money on college? Burger King pays better!

February 10 2010 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Naana

Please stop printing articles like this....It is frustrating enough looking for a non-existent job without articles like this one that get your hopes up for a minute and then let you down because the jobs they offer want specific experience or they are not within a 50 mile radius of your home or its only part time or on-call...Who in the hell thought this would help? Obviously, they were not unemployed for a long time... This does not help. JUST STOP IT...Unless you can give some true job leads STOP THE MADNESS!!!

February 10 2010 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
toddisit

More feel good nonsense. If you know where to look my fanny. Most people have nothing to look at. And those job categories they mentioned in article require degrees, experience, or both, even then it is slim odds. Most people looking for jobs are not getting anything, and most other jobs get outsourced to cheap contractors or offshored to other countries with cheap labor. Ahh, so nice to live in the good old USA.

February 10 2010 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tomo

I worked for 20 years as a high limit dealer at a major casino on the Las Vegas Strip. I was forced to retire for medical reasons. I ended up losing my home and selling my car.
Even though I was at times responsible for millions of dollars and was always honest and loyal, if I was to try and get employment now, it would be impossible. Why? because of my credit rating. Although, I am not searching for work, I think that in todays economy, credit scoring is not an accurate way to judge a persons worth as as employee.

February 10 2010 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Tomo's comment
wayne

amen to that.

February 10 2010 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorothy

I agree and when u try to work it out with CC companies they don't want to deal with u and in one case even hurt my scores more by closing an account that had been paid in full with no usage since '06. What's an honest person to do?

February 11 2010 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimbo sausage

i got laid off now i go to the track bestthing ever happened to me YESSSSSSSSSSSS for bad economy

February 10 2010 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply