Target to Demote 8,000? Ouch!

In an apparent effort to reduce the expense of health care and other employee benefits, a Target employee reports that he has just been informed that Target will down-grade as many as 8,000 employees from full-time to part-time. He is one of those full-time Specialists and Team Leaders who are being demoted.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

The employee, who goes by "Michael," wrote an extensive missive to The Consumerist, stating that Specialist and Team Lead positions are being eliminated in all Target stores over the next several months. Those who hold those positions will be demoted to part-time status, being assigned under 32-hours per week and paid on a lesser, hourly basis. Target representatives dispute Michael's reports

Michael also claims that many of these full-timers will be expected to train the part-timers to do their core jobs, before they are demoted. Some speculate that they will be so angry about this that they will quit, and entry level employees can be hired to replace the higher paid workers.

For the Target shopper, this could mean less experienced and knowledgeable customer service. Those familiar with Circuit City's demise note that the same tactics were attempted with Circuit City employees in order to save a buck, but shoppers became frustrated by the lack of customer service and expertise and began buying elsewhere. It took less than a year for Circuit City to declare bankruptcy after that move.

"If this is true, I'm going to vote with my wallet," said one Target shopper in a comment on the Consumerist post. "If you are going to no longer treat your employees decently, I'm no longer going to patronize your company. Since I currently spend $300+ per month at Target (in order to avoid giving any business at all to Walmart), I guess that $3,600+ a year is now going to be going to CostCo."

However, Target officials beg to differ. A concerned email to Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel (Gregg.Steinhafel@target.com) reported the following:

"This simply isn't true. A false and malicious rumor is being spread by a misleading article in TheConsumerist.com. We have not cut pay, hours or benefits. We continue to build new stores and add new jobs although fewer than in the past. Thanks."

A Target spokesperson explained the changes this way:

"Each year we review our store operations and structure, which allows us to continually improve our guest service and productivity. We made minimal changes to our structure this year – they affect less than 5 percent of our hourly store team member base. Overall, the changes affected team members will experience include shifts in title or responsibility (for example - a sales specialist - shoes, could be retitled merchandising brand manager), and none of these team members will see a change in their current pay, the number of hours they work or their eligibility for benefits."

Lisa Johnson Mandell

Lisa Johnson Mandell

Editor

Lisa Johnson Mandell is an award-winning multi-media journalist and author of Career Comeback--Repackage Yourself to Get the Job You Want.  Her work has been translated into 20 different languages, and she is a frequent expert guest and commentator on news and talk shows. She has been featured in The Wall St. Journal, on the CBS Early Show, NBC Today, CNBC, Fox Business News, Dr. Phil, Oprah.com and many other media outlets.  Lisa discusses her AOL pieces each week and interviews vital guests on the web TV show, This Week in Careers. Learn more on LisaJohnsonMandell.com.

Target Worker

What I read looks familiar. What I saw was some people full-time, yet mostly people doing part-time. Later more people doing part-time, then later less people doing more in less time, then more people leaving, then complain that the newer are too slow to get it done, then later nicer team leaders, trying to get it done, were they nice, were we treated good, were workers unreasonable, did they use a different way of explaining it. To receive any benefits I was told there must be a total of 1000 hours of employment, How many years does it take to get benefits now, I could guess it took me a few years when I started, how long would it take now, several years. To have health care 40 hours or more per paycheck which equal 20 or more hours per week, being paid every 2 weeks. In the beginning there was no quota, then there was set hours and promised there would be enough hours for people who need them. They told me I could get awards for being there longer, nothing happened when I was there for 10 years, my paycheck 3 months later shows servawrd 74.25 next one will show the same thing, if that is money I have not found it yet. Today I received an extra 10% off target brand products as everyone else will.They tell us the target benefits are the best in the business, someone left Target to go to Walmart, explained there benefits appear at start-up and have a union, anther explained they have bonuses.

July 29 2010 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ACA

It's not true. I did not lose pay or hours with this and no one in my store did. I was a specialist and just got a title change.

June 03 2010 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

F**k Target!

March 15 2010 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phaze1

I have asked 3 different ETL at the Target I work @ and I have gotten 3 different stories. However what "Michael" has said as employee of Target is coming true, (at least at the Target I work @.) So who's telling the truth, the employee (who Target clams is disgruntle) However, Target officials beg to differ. By Target telling the public that their are "Each year we review our store operations and structure, which allows us to continually improve our guest service and productivity." Or what the executive team leads, "were told to tell, Target employees" from corporate headquarters... This is a direct quote from the HR team lead @ the very Target that I work @. In todays economic economy Target should start using proper business ethics, and be the Team Player that they clam to be.

February 16 2010 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Phaze1's comment
Margit Mc Kinzie

Does this suprise you in the least ? Target always states that these things ,as they come to our knowlegde via Internet & media resources, that this is rumor.
It is already implemented in the store where I once worked.
Once demoted hours are no longer guaranteed,so basically what you get is what you get.
Coorporate Greed at its best !!!!!!!!! These empires are build on our backs, years of dedicated service and hard work.
Ask the guest why they choose Target over Competitors, the #1 answer in the past has always been the great service.
They did not build the report with the shopping Guest to become a repeat shopper, we did !
And that is the thanks !

February 17 2010 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margit Mc Kinzie

Say what you must.........some off us have insight due to employment history with this Co.
So to all of you Nay sayers...........just wait and see,remember so the times a few years back when we would voice valid concerns about future plans the Co. might have had pending and we where disregarded and kept totally in the dark.
Now here we are,facing excactly what back then we where told not to worrie about ??
How many of us had to forgo taking breaks out of worrie to get a write up when something was not completed ?
So I challenge the lady that claimed that Target is such a wonderful place to work to share with us in which capacity she is employed there ?? I bet at excecutive Level ? we all have different opinions and experiences.............as customers & former or current employees.
Glad her store operates at such a great level of success..........wish the rest of us in the real world had this experience too ;)

February 15 2010 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margit Mc Kinzie

I have been affiliated with Target through many years of employment.
I left due to medical problems,however this may have been my saving grace. Had it not been for this I would have left regardless,as there where things taking place on daily basis that went against my integrity and morals.
The Target Logo " Expect more, pay less" holds a truly different meaning for employees that are often asked to perform as if they could tear themselves into six pieces.........if you fell short in completion off any task,guest service etc.... you where then reminded how replaceable you are,how overpaid ,how incompetant.
These Ceo's are disregarding this as a viscious rumor ?????? Well a dear friend of mine just fell victim to this..........any comments Gregg Steinhauffel ???? These Excecs have & hold their often overpaid positions at the expense of the regular people!
It does not take 4 Excecs to run a store,does it ????? There pockets are not hurting I bet........bunch of "office chair riding cowboys " !!!!!!!
More often than not it felt like working for " Charlies Angels " as they make their outlandish demands known over the walkies and you see them all cozy,laughing......sipping Starbucks at the Clerical area. Yeah,this is truly leadership at it's finest.......but good loyal team members are complimented to the door ???

February 15 2010 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dobbs

Target is among the most crooked companies out there.
I worked for them years ago.
They would expect people to work until 1 in the morning and schedule them to work at 8 am the next day.
I lived an hour away so as you can imagine this did not work out for me.

February 11 2010 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Southerngirl

Some of these employees hours have been cut to 19 hrs. a week. Yes they will get a raise this year which may be anywhere from 25 to 5 cent. but if they at their max.they are capped and will not recieve a raise. Yes they are letting go of alot of their employees. They are not cutting hours to share with the other employees.

February 11 2010 at 12:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Southerngirl

This is true I am currently employed at Target and we were told that they were doing away with the level two position and some of the level threes. They are offering a package to those that have been there long enough to get one. I dont understand why they are denying this. Yes the service will get worst because one employee will be doing the job of 3 or 4. They are not only competing with Walmart but Cosco and Sam's.

February 11 2010 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdbcg

So who wants to tell me that health care reform isn't important and that the high cost of providing it aren't costing Americans their jobs now????? Target is just another employers in the long line of companies today who couldn't care less about their employees!

February 10 2010 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 20 - July 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.