What a great story. I have met a lot of people in my travels abroad who are traveling because they lost their jobs. Thanks for sharing these great resources to find great volunteer opportunities! If anyone is interested in volunteering and discovering South America and practicing Spanish at the same time, I'd recommend volunteering with Vive Peru. There are opportunities in various cities of Peru in health, education, social work, music and engineering.

September 18 2011 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

James, I'm a former USAF Vet. You sound like a a Guy who was in love with a service man and found out he did not Roll that way. Serving my country was a Honor. I did not learn Racism or malice. I bet you never steped up to the plate for your counrty but you enjoy the freedom of speech everyday. I'm glad this county is not full of James because if it was... German would be the native toungue.

February 04 2010 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Happy for you contradiction, and glad to see things worked out for you...and trust me, luck has more to do with your situation then you want to admit. If hard work was all it took, I would be a billionaire 10 times over, sorry but try that with someone who doesn't see and understand reality. I was not, and am not a party-er..I also have a college degree. You use brick, but from what I am seeing, sounds more like glass. Thanks for the response though, good to see vets that got something out of there military experience other then racism and malice.

February 03 2010 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Hey Guys... it was just a little advice from someone who got laid off after 17 Years with the same company. I had a sales Job at MFG company. The summers had no AC and it was a unhealthy work work envirorment. It was far from a Bank. The Job I have now is sales again but a better company. Lets see if this place last 17 Years!

February 03 2010 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

This article is geared towards those relatively young, single people
in their twenties and thirties, who have at least a bachelor's degree
from an accredited university and have parents who are still young
enough to work and hand over their hard earned dollars to junior or
their young princess. Eventually, though, the parents money will run
out. If junior or the princess becomes incapcitated by a serious,
life-threatening, chronic disease and finds oneself back home like in
the United States, reality will hit them hard. By the way, it is no
surprise that many young Americans are now becoming so-called
"terrorists" abroad to fight the American military and American
interests abroad. The American system and society has betrayed these
young people. Who the hell ever heard of charging at least $50,000
per year for a lousy bachelor's degree? No other civilized, western
country mistreats its young like the Americans. Instead of giving
your tax dollars to the wealthy bankers, corporations, and Wall
Street, you should be taking back those tax dollars for yourselves,
your neighbors, and your young by creating a social net for the
unemployed, by financing the universities to enable those, who are
capable, to study and build a brighter future for this country, to
finace the teaching university hospitals to find cures for your
diseases, to pay for your health care and those of your neighbors, so
you don't have to be surrounded by a bunch of sick, overweight,
mentally ill lunatics in your very midst. Everyone is angry and
miserable, lashing out at each other instead of going after the real
culprits. It is obvious that the American people can no longer rely
on elected and appointed officials. It is time that the American
people take back their government and their country. By shutting
down the country for several months, the American people can
emasculate the corporations and especially Wall Street. Not too long
ago, the French shut down their country for three weeks, when their
job security was threatened. The problem in America is too severe
for just a three-week shutdown. The country needs to be shut down
like the Polish did back in the 1980s for several months. Of course,
police, firemen, doctors, and hospitals will be exempt from this
strike. Neighbors and those within your immediate community will
have to organize to take care of everyone's needs during these most
crucial, important, historic several months. It is time to take back
our government and our country. No longer should the miscreants take
our money and kill us and our children! Shut down this goddamn mess
once and for all -- and take back what is rightfully yours! This is
your government and your country -- not theirs! Shut down the
country and you will shut down their pyramid scheme of robbing you to
make the rich miscreants richer. Shut their malfeasance down once and
for all and take back your government and country!

February 03 2010 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Good on you Rob, instead of sitting at home just surviving in the 9 to 5 ratrace, you got off your ass, got out of your "comfort zone" and went off to do something worthwhile. If more people did what you did, even for a short while, the world might be a much better place.

February 03 2010 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

This is an amazing story. people are already asking how he is paying for this or that, Who cares, if he is not worried why should anyone else be. Maybe he did something smart when he was making good money, like SAVING consistently. This epic is not for everyone but their are at least 100 people who fit the catagory that will read this story, but choose to remain in their own pity party and remain unemployed. This man showed true faith and courage and I willing to bet he would not trade all of his days in glitsey New York, for one daythat he spent doing something that most of us never really do which is getting to know who we really are.

February 03 2010 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Yes there are funds to help a volunteer volunteer if you have no money. But they won't pay your bills, rent, and mortgage or feed your family so you can do it. It's good to volunteer and help people and causes. We should all give something back somewhere sometime. So good for him that he is able to drop everything and has the money to go wherever. But even the biggest hearts need to have either a big wallet or no one else to worry about in order to volunteer other then locally maybe. I would volunteer somewhere in the world if someone would pay my bills and mortgage, and feed my family.

February 03 2010 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I wish him the very best.

February 03 2010 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I wonder why he had to leave because of his visa problems while this country is so full of illegals with NO visa at all. I'm happy he found something that has made a difference in his life and that he was able to go ahead and do it, no matter how it was funded.

February 03 2010 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply