Open Letter to Recruiters

recruiterDear recruiter (or hiring manager or HR),

I see you have some job openings that you are making decisions on. I'm sure you are getting hundreds of résumés and are overwhelmed by the amount of information you have to go over, just to narrow it down to a few good candidates. I wish you well as you go through this tedious process.

Right off the bat, you'll see a problem with me as a candidate for this position. You see, for the last eight months I've been unemployed and busy looking for another job. I was let go with hundreds of others in a corporate downsizing. The month I got let go was one of the worst months in our nations economy, and thousands of my peers and coworkers ended up on the street. You know how the last year has been.

I'm an active job seeker, which is a problem for you.

I know you would much rather hire a passive job seeker than an active job seeker because somehow you think an active job seeker has baggage. If they didn't, why are they unemployed?

Somewhere along the line, a few decades ago, there was such a thing as job security and company loyalty. Being unemployed, especially for a long time, was not common. Today, however, it is more common than anyone would like. We all know someone who is unemployed and in an active job search. What was shameful yesteryear is commonplace today.

Unfortunately, the same biases and discrimination surrounding being unemployed from many years ago are so deeply ingrained that today I'm being looked over simply because I've been out of work for eight months.

I guarantee you that I am not in an active job search because of baggage. I am in my job search because of corporate mismanagement at the very highest levels. I have friends who are in transition because of various reasons, all outside of their control. Most of my friends were in industries that just tanked. Other friends worked at companies that provided services for those industries, and because of the domino effect they found themselves out of work also. Other friends lost their jobs because of internal politics, or because of management shakeups.

In my industry I'm at the top of my game. I know this industry and the issues better than most. I can do many different jobs related to what I was doing before, and I know I can jump right back into a company and make a significant impact.

However, because of the prejudices established many years ago, you are overlooking me. You'd rather prospect someone who isn't even looking for a job.

I want you to know:

1. I'm not broken.

2. I'm not riddled with problems.

3. I'm just a victim of the economy or politics.

4. I'm just as capable as any passive "job seeker."

Please consider doing away with your bias to disregard active job seekers, especially since there are so many of us right now.

None of us have job security, and just because we're in a job search doesn't mean we aren't the right person for the job.

Sincerely,

The Active Job Seeker

P.S. I thought I was safe, just like you feel like you are safe in your job right now. You might become an active job seeker any day, no matter how good you are, no matter how much you impact the top or bottom line at your company.

target="_blank">I'm on LinkedIn -- Now What???

Pigbitin Mad

Great letter but it will most certainly fall on deaf ears. We have to vow to get revenge and never forget being tossed aside like this. We need to boycott all products made by these arrogant companies and when these people suddenly find out it can happen to them, kick them to the curb too. Loyalty is dead, and companies will find out how detrimental that is when we start bashing their products and them in public. People are are currently employed can suck just as bad as someone who is unemployed. I have also met many slick talkers who were completely incompetent when it came to actually DOING anything. These recruiters think they can spot someone good, but most of the time they cant. So stop taking it out on the people who got kicked to the curb because of greed and mismanagement. We should all work to bankrupt businesses like Walmart so that we can all become entrepreneurs again.

May 09 2011 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily Harris

I have been unemployed for 10 months. I am 55 yrs old. I do believe there is a lot of age-ism going on out there. It is illegal, but there are no age-related comments, nothing that I can report to authorities about being age-discriminated. I only get "there is someone else with better qualifications than you" or I get "we aren't hiring anyone right now" just when they have been actively advertising. Am I supposed to believe that? That is if I get any response at all. Sometimes when the interviewer gets their first glance at me, I can just feel the mood drop and I know I am not going to get the job. I went to college beginning at 41 yrs old and then went on to get my master's. I think employers should be glad to get someone who has a lifetime of life experience, has no kids at home and won't be getting pregnant. Some who had the sheer guts to go to college at that age. I think these HR people, most of whom, in my experience are so young they look as though they are barely out of high school need training to not just look go looking for someone who fits the "culture" to realize that plus 40's ARE part of the American culture and how to respect and get along with their elders. If all these young people know how to relate to is their own age bracket, they need badly to learn to do better by their fellow man or woman. I feel as though I've got a lot of children telling me I can't play with their toys.

March 27 2010 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leigh

First, I never commented on how overworked I am and how underpaid I am. Quite the contrary, I’m grateful I have a job and value the income I receive. It is a tough market out there, clearly I know since many people are applying for jobs. Secondly, I review resumes for applicants’ experience and potential, not to hear about their boo hoo hardships, because frankly, I think it’s safe to assume that if you are looking for a job, it’s because you want change and to maybe overcome some sort of hardship. I do recruit for a large organization, and no, I don’t have time to read lengthy cover letters (such as the one provided as an example) and 5-paged resumes word-for-word. I review the cover letter to find out what they want and how/why they think they can achieve it. Then I spend more time on the resume. I’m not going to waste my time on reading someone’s submitted novel when much of the time they didn’t even read the job description and/or requirements of a job. And thirdly, If I was jobless for an extended period of time, I’d work on my skills that would promote me to potential employers, not misconstrued what people write on blogs.

February 17 2010 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wes

These are all get pros and cons for this letter but what if you in the same boat for another reason other than corporate downsizing? I retired from the Army 2 years ago and should soon reach a non-profitable professional job applicant status. I am staying productive by continuing my graduate studies; however, at times this seems to be an intimidation factor which is also couple by the request for past wages. Seems for an average blue collar job I was overpaid and for a white collar job underpaid. It also seems that my prior positions and current education met or exceed the person reviewing my application which also brings the application process to a screeching halt. How about age … it’s not supposed to be a fact, but what about the fact that I was employed by my last employer (US Army) for 22 years. Seems that might be an issue for some to me, but for the sake of PC we won’t call it an age issue. Feel free to fire away maybe you can take credit for the insight towards my next good, tired of paying resume services for re-writes.

February 17 2010 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

I have been in jobs for a year when it became painfully obvious that the boss never read my resume. This has happened more than once. I don't know what he used in his hiring decision but he knew nothing about my education or job history. I have worked for a dozen companies and only two of them are still in business the others having either been closed or merged.

February 17 2010 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maria

As someone who has hired many people over the years I think the general premise of this letter has merit. However the only useful part of this letter is the first couple of paragraphs where it states that he lost his job due to corporate downsizing. After that it gets into blaming the former employer, and that makes the applicant appear to have a chip on his shoulder. Also the length of the letter implies that the applicant has an unrealistic view of their own importance that they think a manager would actually read a letter of this length from an applicant.

February 17 2010 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc

FAIL! You can't write a letter to convince HR you're competent if you include TYPOS.

You mean "nation's" not "nations." See, job seeker, one is plural, the other is possessive. Alright, that's enough of that, now it's time for me to get back to my job search too. lol

February 17 2010 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j taylor

Before anyone sends a letter like this, please get a second opinion. Have someone read it for correct grammar and "voice." I would NEVER hire this person. Know when to use apostrophes. On the other hand, this type of letter is a creative way to explain negative circumstances. I'd just lighten it up a bit.

February 17 2010 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe Berthiaume

I've been a very successful restaurant district manager for years. My company was bought by a competitor, and I began work for a classic jerk with whom I had a definite personality conflict. I applied to other jobs with not much luck, and ended up getting fired after venting my feelings to this guy.
It seems that when I submit a resume, although my merits and qualifications are great, the fact I was terminated seems to put an immediate halt to any prospective interview. Am I doomed!!???

February 17 2010 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leigh

I'm a Recruiter and this cover letter is 1) too long, I couldn't bare to read every line, word for word. Recruiters/HR takes only 8 seconds max when scanning a cover letter. 2) it doesn't tell the employer what she/he can do for the company, it only whines about poor unfortunate them. 3) it's informal and makes too many assumptions. I would not hire this person.

February 17 2010 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply