25 Worst Jobs to Have In 2010

CareerCast, "your job search portal," has just released a list of the best and worst jobs to have in 2010. With the recession still shaking the foundations of the economy nationwide, most people are happy to have a job these days at all, but in order for there to be a list of the best jobs to have, there also has to be a list of the worst jobs to have. According to the CareerCast website, rankings are determined using a "detailed analysis to measure careers by factors such as working conditions, competitiveness, hiring outlook and physical exertion."

The list of the 25 worst jobs to have in 2010 runs the gamut and includes everything from civil servant employees to butchers and circus workers. While CareerCast could not take all factors into consideration when determining their rankings, two themes that emerge from this list of the 25 worst jobs to have in 2010 are that many of these jobs are unionized jobs and lower-paying jobs with most capping out at less than $70,000.

25. Stationary engineers, aka boiler operators

7. Taxi drivers

6. Garbage collectors

5. Welders

4. Dairy farmers

3. Ironworkers

2. Lumberjacks

and the worst job in America goes to...

1. Roustabouts, which can either be temporary circus workers or oil riggers

Use our Salary Calculator to compare your salary to the worst jobs in 2010.

Next: Best Jobs in America >>

Rick

Looks like most are blue collar jobs that will be soon outsourced over seas. My guestion is when are we going to stop the goverment from allowing middle class jobs being shipped over seas?

February 07 2010 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cbailey

I was making good money as a welder in the oil patch. Roustabouts are as essential to gas in your car as a gas station. Thanks to our new administration, both welder and roustabouts are out of work. Same thing happened with welding on coal equipment when Jimmy the peanut got elected. It only made the list, because there are no jobs in those fields to be had. By the way, to work in the oil field as a welder, you own your rig (50k investment) work in 100 degree heat and 20 below cold, work all hours as needed to keep a drill rig working and then wait for a couple of months to get paid, so it has its drawbacks, but at least you could make a living.

January 22 2010 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

BWA Hahaha..

Who ever wrote this list must seriously be retarded, but such is most media today...

I find this even more amusing because I happen to be a roustabout on an offshore oil drilling rig in the gulf of mexico, and for the life of me I cannot see how it is the worst job to have. I make more money than 90% of my family and friends and the advancement opportunities are far greater and more rewarding than any office environment (and don't give me shit about not knowing because I've been there and done that too)

Kudos to the compiler of this list. It proves that there really are people that don't know shit =)

January 18 2010 at 2:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryC

Cheri Harry,
My girlfriend's daughter has a BS in Psychology. She switched over and got a MS in computer programming. She did that because the best you can get with anything short of a PhD, is about $24,000 per year, in a high paying state. And I know people whove had MS and PhDs that work with handicapped adults that don't get $30,000 per year, mostly way less. You will probably not find a job with less than a BS. The money in that field comes from teaching, getting research grants, or writing books. To get a job requires all sorts of "certifications" or "licenses" from the state in which you want to work. They are not cheap, and you can't get them overnight, and many have job experience requirements to get. Good Luck, and honestly try to pick a different degree. - Psychology is really one of those pseudo-sciences, there is little agreeement on ideas, there are no "scientific laws" and it often is dominated by whatever crackpot theories are trendy at the time. Freud was all the rage in the '60s, Dr. Spock's theories dominated the '50s, "I'm OK your OK" feelgood theories were the rage of the '70s, it is all bunk. (Shane before you jump in, No I am not a scientologist like Tom Cruise). No two people are alike psychologically so no particular theory works more than a tiny fraction of the time. PLus everyone uses the DSM IV, from which you can diagnose everyone as being crazy. I had a child psych teacher, PhD in Child Psychology, works for the State Dept of Soccial Services (over 20 year experience), and her Department still uses policies and books developed in the 1950s she never even heard of the "Baby Albert" experiments, calls research done in the '60s-'90s "out of date and obsolete" because it doesn't fit in with the theories and policies the state requires them to use - developed in the 1950s.
Just look at the Ft. Hood shooter, his own psychology section of the military couldn't figure out that he was dangerous, because they are stuck in the '50s too.

Note : This field is largely a waste of time, if you are really interested go to medical school, become a licensed doctor, and then go into Psychiatric Medicine as your specilaty.

January 16 2010 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheri Harry

Can anyone tell me what a Psychologist with an Associates Degree can earn?

January 16 2010 at 2:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryC

Shane, Shane, Shane,
No need to use foul language, its a sign of low IQ. I have fixed every car I've ever owned up until the junk I drive now. I cannot fix it, because to fix ieven the most minor problem, requires special tools that cost hundreds or thousands of dollar and available only from the dealer, or require the engine to be removed, or involve jacking the car up, or require a special computer to read engine codes. Its not worth the time, effort or cost to do it myself. That is why Auto Mechanics are "Necessary" but not "productive". But you as a gov't employee are neither necessary nor productive, and can be put out of work, to only the betterment of society.

January 15 2010 at 7:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shane

i guess if we all quit our good paying jobs all the accountants in the US would just go away. sounds like a good plan to me

January 15 2010 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shane

i happen to be a state employee, taking a pay cut of 45000 a year, and you want to cut it another 20%? i hope you lose your job and cant find another except for a garbage picker!

January 15 2010 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to shane's comment
GerryC

Shane, yes I do. Your wish is about 5 months too late. My productive private sector job was eliminated 5 months ago. Due to the increased taxes in my state. I took a 100% pay cut. You took a "cut" of $45,000 and you still are making enough to get by, then I say let's cut you not just 20% but another 50%.
I say the most anyone who works for the gov't should be allowed to make is 75% of median private sector income. ($20,000 x 0.75 = $15,000) so keep on cutting those gov't jobs and balance those gov't books.

January 15 2010 at 7:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryC

Thatks Jimma for reinforcing my point. Almost all the teachers I know have chosen for the 12 month plan, because it works out better tax wise. No one in the private sector gets to work 9/12ths the year, and gets to have their pay spread out for 12 months. As other posters who claim tto have been teachers, say they never made $50,000 per year. Sounds like a typical lawyer. I say, Teachers on average make $48,000 per year, and those that don't still are in the top 20% of wage earners in the city they live in. So some teacher will rant that they naver made $50,000. (50 being more than 48, for those of you in the teaching profession). Average in this case being median. 50% make more 50% make less. (again for those of you in the teaching profession that don't know that). So a teacher making $24K in rural Mississippi, where the mean income is $12K is clearly in the top % of wage earners in the area. While a teacher in New York City making $75K makes more than the $56K average for everyone else. Again teachers are typically in the top 20%, (meaning morre often than not for those of you in the teaching professeion sometimes they are only in the top 25% sometimes top 1/3rd), but almost no teachers are in the bottom 1/2, and absolutely no public school teachers arte in the bottom 1/7th to qualify as "poor".
After all it was your libeeral hero (JFK) that once proclaimed no matter what we do there will always be a bottom 1/7th of wage earners.

January 14 2010 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Hi Gerry! Been there, done that. Teachers get paid for the days they work. No pay for summer, or any holidays. I get paychecks all year because I have chosen the 12 month pay plan instead of the 9 month. We do not get social security benefits. That's why we have good health and 1.25 sick days a month, which , by the way, is constantly under scutiny by state and national government. They are even looking into teachers paying tax on health benefits and not paying for unused sick leave upon retirement. A lot of teachers get fired, or displaced because of the money all going to charter schools. Also attendance is down because of the voucher system which will allow any student free tuition to a charter or parochial school. This adds fuel to the firing fire! I know many teachers that have been let go for just these reasons, and certainly not because they are incompetent. In my school system, a new teacher is mentored by an outstanding veteran teacher for their first year and a lot do not cut it and are not given a contract. I myself have had to give a student teacher a non-passing grade because he would not have been up to par as a competent teacher. I could go on and on about the stress involved, but most jobs are stressful. I work in an inner city school and believe me, it's not like it was 25 years ago. Teaching was fun then. There is so much the general public is unaware of these days when it comes to education. But over the years, so many changes have been made and so much power is in the incompetent hands of administrators, I am very much looking forward to retirement in a few years. Thanks for your comment, and have a great day!

January 13 2010 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply