Trucker Laid Off Via Text Message

Randy Dakin barely made it home in time for Christmas after his employer, Oklahoma-based Arrow Trucking Company shut down operations, canceled fuel credit cards and left him and 900 other drivers stranded across the U.S. and Canada. The news came Tuesday morning by the most impersonal means: text message.

The first text message told him to turn in his truck at the nearest dealer. The second offered him a bus ticket or $200 in cash to get home.

"The timing is the worst thing and not being told in a better way. I'm sure some guys are having to sell whatever they could," said Dakin to xltx.com.

Many drivers store large amounts of personal belongings in the trucks including clothing, televisions among other items that are extremely difficult to transport back home. "Greyhound will only let you carry so much," says Dakin.

He's also wondering if he'll ever get paid for his last two trips. "That would have been my biggest paycheck ever with these people." He says the company owes him about $1,300.

So how did Randy make it home? "I was fortunate enough to have had enough fuel in the truck to get back home," said Dakin. Home is in Columbia, South Carolina and Randy was in Virginia when he got the messages.

The company's website has been shut down and no one could be reached for comment.

Supporters have set up a Facebook page called "Support for Stranded Arrow Truckers" to help coordinate efforts for their safe return home.

Next: Top 10 Companies Hiring This Week >>

Anna

That's too horrible! In the middle of a trip? Sux to have that happen!

January 21 2010 at 11:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gary

yea carol youdthink so huh i think times have changed though we should all stick together and do what wecan andalways keep hope alive

January 12 2010 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mossyhorned Gearjammer

Can anyone verify;
Received info that one Arrow driver, stashed his rig and reefer cargo where it could not be found -- caught a ride with another driver several hundred miles to virtually within walking distance of his home.
Text messaged Arrow that he had amnesia from the emotional shock, and had just found papers in his duffel bag telling him who he was and what Arrow meant, then checked text messages on his cell phone.
Advised Arrow that he was sure if he received all his wages due, vacation time due, severance pay due after more than a decade driving for them and $500 to get him home -- the relief would clear his memory in time to direct them to the truck and cargo before Reefer fuel ran out.
It just sounds too good to be true.
Someone knew how to yank the company up short.
Basically, want your capital equipment and the $150,000 cargo in time to deliver before the refrigeration dies -- Relief my amnesiac shock and I should be able to remember where your rig is parked.
Let us pray it actually happened.
Of course, the obvious possibility is some bank withdrew a continuing Line of Credit or other financing, after decades of making nice profits from the Arrow business.
I saw SunTrust pull that on a developer who had not missed a payment, or failed to repay a loan for 20 years.
Bankrupted him, costing him his company and about $5-Million.

January 06 2010 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharyn

I worked for a company for 27 years. I came to work one day and they told me that my position had been dissolved. They let 200 people go that week, all of us had more then 20 years with the company.They gave me 1 hour to collect my personal belongings and that was that. I wish there was a law that would give employees a 14 day notice. They want us to give them a 2 week notice if we plan on leaving. Three years later, same thing with the new company I worked for. Only this time they called me on my day off and told me over the phone. This time 186 employees were let go that week. Life is not fair. Companies should give us the respect that we gave them all these years.

January 04 2010 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carol

I hear u all. Now please stop the comments. By the way, I wear no panties.................LOL

January 04 2010 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan

Hi everybody,my company is hiring,I'll show you how to run it out of your home,part time ,fulltime,you make your schedule. It is sales related,but I will try my best to help you make your first few sales,even give you some if need be to help. So email me everybody is welcome to work,you're hired..My email address is wealthisgoodhealth@gmail.com

January 03 2010 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Billie

Where have you been, Pluto.

January 03 2010 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mark

Stiffing a employee is total BS but firing by text, nothing wrong with that!!!! My employees sneak around and text all day long like most of you at work,that cost us money!!!! nobodys job discription has waste my time with personal calls or text in it!!!! Yet you justify that!!! Good for you good for me bunch of hyprocrites!!!!

January 02 2010 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stewart

It is a sad day when youn are fired by a text message.
I trucked for 15 years and have seen the price of fuel go up and rates fall so bad that i lost my truck at that time. and it is so true that if a truck shut dow would cripple the nation and might help the truckers but that will never happen.
I have seen that attempt to many times before. I have driven co trucks and drove for independent indivials and owed my own truck. the co drivers will be replaced in a min. if they try to shut down that truck. I commend Swift trucking co that told there drivers to assist any arrow drivers and hope that other co's help also.
I lost my truck in dec.83 and i still miss the freedome and the feel of the power under me as I went to my next drop. I am 67 now.
god bless ALL of the truckers out there I know how the dispaturs lie to you and put you in a possitian you dont want to be when you want to get home.
BLESS YOU ALL

January 02 2010 at 4:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kleo

I liked the comment about driving the truck into the nearest lake--I'm with that person!

December 31 2009 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply