Can Your Favorite Color Determine Your Perfect Job?

Revised January, 2011

Do you ever wish finding the perfect job could be as easy as 1, 2, 3? According to recent research, it might be as easy as red, yellow or blue. That's right; by determining which primary, secondary and achromatic colors you prefer most and least, you can figure out a successful career path based on how you approach work, the types of workplaces where you work best and how you handle work tasks.

The Color Career Counselor, powered by The Dewey Color System -- the world's only validated, non-language color-based career testing instrument -- uses color preferences to determine successful career paths. Dewey Sadka, author of 'The Dewey Color System,' says using colors instead of a questionnaire eliminates the chasm between self-perception and self-truth and reveals your core motivations.

"What if you misinterpret a career assessment question or the choices don't reflect your personality?" Sadka asks. "Color preference indicates your personality's best career fit. Preferred colors indicate passionate career pursuits; non-preferred choices establish workplace skills you least enjoy."

How it works

The Color Career Counselor is simple. First, launch the test by clicking here. Next enter your gender and name (Note: your e-mail address is optional). Now select your preferred primary color (red, yellow or blue), then rank the secondary (green, purple or orange) and achromatic (black, white or brown) colors by preference. Once you have ranked all the provided colors your results will appear (Note: you can skip the pop-up ads by clicking "No Thanks").

"Your preferred colors determine how you attack each task. They indicate your talents -- what you prioritize first in order to be successful. They also highlight what you overdo, especially when you feel great," Sadka says. For example, if you're partial to yellow, you're information-driven; blue preference people are idea-driven and people who prefer red are results-driven.

If you favor green as your secondary color, you realistically evaluate situations; purple indicates you like fact-finding possibilities and orange signals that you scrutinize feasibility. Finally, if black is your choice from the achromatic colors, you consider value above all else; white shows that you like having options, and brown confirms that you like implementation and accomplishing tasks.

On the other hand, your least preferred colors determine tasks and issues that you tend to forget. For example, if your least favorite color is orange, sometimes you over-commit yourself by trying to do too much at once. If you dislike the color green, you try to fix everything for your colleagues rather than making them do it themselves. Or, if your least favorite is teal, you feel a deep need to prove you are competent and you don't care what other people think.

In managing these areas head-on, Sadka says you won't miss the incidentals that could impede on your success.

Put to the test

To see for myself if this "scientific" test was for real, I took the test three different times and got the same results each time -- affirming that I am, in fact, in the right career. I'm a "creator," says the Color Career Counselor. I'm "nonconforming, impulsive, expressive, romantic, intuitive, sensitive and emotional." It says I enjoy working independently, being creative, using my imagination and constantly learning something new.

For my suggested "creator occupations," I was given an extensive list of careers that included:

Jobs I've considered:

Jobs people told me I should pursue:

Jobs that I currently hold or aspire to in the future

What about you?

So are you a researcher, creator, social manager, persuader, doer or organizer? To find out what career path you should be following based on your preferred colors, here are a few examples of what certain choices say about you, and the careers and skills that compliment them.

If you prefer yellow, purple and white: You're the communicator.

You create profitable perspectives -- how to break into new accounts or be heard by other employees. By simply identifying a client's point of view, you develop strategies that open doors, even if they had already been shut. Your excellent communication skills can create problem-solving forums. These careers work best:

If you prefer red, green and black: You're the investor.

You know the value of money and resources, as well as the intrinsic worth of each co-worker's contributions. Your supportive, yet analytical personality works best in:

If you prefer blue, orange and brown: You're the activist.

Your strong community beliefs and no-nonsense approach improve services for those around you. Occupations where you can improve existing specifications or impact social values work best for you. Consider careers in:

These are only a few of hundreds of different color profiles. For your own free career evaluation, check out the Color Career Counselor Color Test. please visit: http://www.careerpath.com/career-tests/colorcareercounselor.aspx

Next: Are You a Left or Right-Brain Thinker?

CareerBuilder

Editor

CareerBuilder is the global leader in human capital solutions, helping companies target and attract their most important asset – their people. CareerBuilder.com’s team of career advisers, editors and writers are experts in job search strategy, career management, hiring trends and workplace issues. Get daily job advice on www.TheWorkBuzz.com, follow CareerBuilder on Twitter at www.twitter.com/careerbuilder and become a fan of CareerBuilder on FaceBook.

foreigntrade4

Wholesale Clothing Brands,Outdoor Jackets、Free Jackets、Down Jackets、Boots、The North Face、Canada Goose、Mamort、Mammut、Arcteryx、Columbia、Supras、Nike、Ugg、Asics...

October 11 2011 at 4:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dickn2000b

Another worthless, load of crap analysis. My results were "organizer." I'm a retired electrical engineer, professor, and research scientist with Ph.D's in electrical engineering and applied physics. Anyone that puts an iota of credence in this sham needs their head examined. Absolutely Worthless!!

January 28 2011 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jma

What a load of bull...I've taken this thing three different times over the past two days...and picked totally different colors and different order of colors...and I get the same result each time...That I am "creative"...This thing is absolute krap and about as effective in helping pick a carreer path as the Obama administration is in running the country...What a bag of garbage.

January 28 2011 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
caugrl

My results were not even close. The description was way off and not a single occupation was interesting to me. I did get a better understanding of what colors I really liked; but, who really needs that unless you are painting a room? Not helpful at all.

January 27 2011 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

"It is easy to blame the goverment instead of us taken resposability for ourselves."

It's not just easy, it's the logical conclusion. We didn't spend three trillion dollars of borrowed money in 2 years, they did. We didn't neglect to come up with a budget last year, they did. I have no influence on the EPA arbitrarily creating higher prices for fuel or preventing the creation of new refineries and nuclear plants - they did. I didn't borrow money to pay my debt - they did. I didn't increase my spending beyond what I could pay without destroying my life - they did. You really need to wake up, yourself. Keep voting for politicians who promise to fix your life and we will all sink into the abyss. Start voting and supporting politicians who are willing to cut the size of government dramatically. Why is it that only the government is immune to unemployment? They are hiring to beat the band. Ask youself, where are they getting the money for all these new hires? I certainly didn't authorize them to spend more money. So, nope. It's not our fault or responsibility. It's theirs. Unless they are stopped and we reverse the damage, we will end up with a very sad future.

January 27 2011 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leslie

The results did not list any job I would be inetrested in - I would not buy this.

January 27 2011 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thatslin2u

I tried to take the test and got caught in some kind of loop. Took it about 4 times and finally gave up.

January 27 2011 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lizzy

This is the useless, inane, bullshit they put on the internet. Sometimes I wonder why I even own a computer.

January 27 2011 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mo

Steve R
I am sorry to hear about all your troubles and upsets. You are frustrated beyond a doubt and it is easy to see how you feel stuck and angry.
However, you don't sound like a person who gives up easily and that tenacity and the anger energy can be flipped to work for you. I have read articles and posts about older job applicants with a good deal of work experience, education and training and at least 20 or more years of career time ahead of them not be valued or able to find a place again in the work force. I try and think of what advantages and perceived perspectives there are to hiring younger applicants. Is is just their youth and, appearance, do they bring a creative fresh idea pallet, do they feel they are more in tune with the internet media and the term "On the pulse" as if they can only feel it and if you hit 39 yours slows down or you no longer have it. Are they worried about an image for their companies, is it the younger counterparts can work longer and put up with more? It's bullocks and I could go on and on about it wondering all that there is to the youth appeal. I don't want to insult younger hard working adults who are also trying to make their place in this world either it is rough all around but I see advantages to hiring older counter parts, maturity, patients, longer life and work experience, which can parlay into being a more well rounded employee, better communication skills, interpersonal skills,knowing the importance of the ever dying art of customer service, continual growth + adaptation, stronger critical thinking skills, mentoring,problem solving,when you are older you still are a risk taker, but experience in reading the particular climates and pitfalls can help make more calculated risk taking and I could ponder that type of list further. Make a list of youth vs mature experience (well call it that)of both attributes either could have and if you have your finger on the pulse, can spontaneously think of new and fresh ideas, out of the box and critically etc..then tick off from either sides the ones you have. The Colonel Sanders 65 when he got off the ground, Mary Kay also older, Walt Disney no spring chicken and very creative and surrounded himself with creative talent, look at Cher, Madonna, and God Bless her Joan Rivers, Betsey Johnson (has a fashion line of everything my teen loves her she's 68)Finger on the pulse and constantly reinventing. It doesn't need to be in the entertainment or fashion world but look around you and find a niche, right now you have a few. 1. There are others just like you in their 40's, highly skilled having a hard time finding work, why not create your own labor work force mentoring others, utilizing the years of experience, marketing when they hire from your group (even as temps) what the employee will be getting, give back and have your team volunteer get your new company name out there."Thrive Industries" (just an idea you could do better) Reinvent, reinvent. 2. If the older set doesn't have their finger on the proverbial pulse find out how you get it? Simon Cowell got his first idea for a record by watching kids in a video arcade play a wrestling game and capitalized on the idea of selling that. You too should create your own brand and logo. 3. If people don't think 40 is the new 20 show them and make a business, even if its a hobby first showing others. Create youth marketed products customized toward the older adult. Wii and others are doing it with created video games, what about work outs and fitness geared specifically toward the different ages, baby boomer and younger, promoting health and longevity. Any 40 year old woman no matter how tight her backside should never wear sweatpants with words on the back or shop in the same department as her teens, but women and men want to feel youthful still without looking desperate and ridiculous. Pay attention, there are needs and niches that can be filled, there are other like minded, skilled and smart individuals in the same boat as you young and old that want out of this rut, find them, gather all your resources that you can financially and mindfully and recreate, improve. There are so many more ideas that can be done. Flip that anger energy into a passion energy, flip your can'ts into can's, your they won't to I will. It's on the tip of your brain, your there and you'll make that break through, shift your perspective and they will shift theirs. I wish you luck in your endeavorer and pursuits and hope what ever you do happiness and joy comes with it.

January 27 2011 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gwp

I do not have a favorite color. I have had five careers and many side jobs during my life. Sixty years old.

January 27 2011 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 13 - April 20

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.