Top Innovations and Your Job Search

By Carol Berman

Would you consider yourself an early adopter? Or do you still carry a cell phone that the size of brick because, hey, it makes phone calls? As the year comes to a close, there are endless "top of the decade" lists making the rounds. Advertising Age magazine compiled its list of the best media and marketing innovations of the decade. A few of their choices especially matter to career planning because to get ahead, you need to market yourself most effectively.

1. Social Networks

Facebook has easily floated to the top of the pile, but sites like LinkedIn, MeetUp, Tagged, and even Friendster are still hanging on. According to Compete.com, Facebook has more than 1 billion visits per month. For job seekers, that's a pretty big network to tap. LinkedIn says it has more than 40 million members. Since that population is driven by business and careers, it's hard to remember job searching before the web!

2. iPhone

In the 3 years since the iPhone's launch, Apple has made the best progress in bringing the web to your hand. They're also the second largest global producers of smartphones, shipping almost 40 million in just the third quarter this year. According to Nielsen, 40% of iPhone users have household incomes of $100,000 or more. Even if you don't, there's something to be said for looking the part. In addition, there are as many people using iPhones over the age of 55 as there are 13-24 years old. Someone in that older group could be you or your next boss.

3. GPS

The military has been using GPS technology for decades. However, in the last 10 years, prices dropped and technology became so user friendly that no one really has the "I'm late because I got lost" excuse anymore. That comes in quite handy if you're on your way to a job interview in an unfamiliar part of town.

If you've been holding out on any of this technology, consider that there's a few days left in the year to hop on the bandwagon. We're not saying you shouldn't stand out, be individual, and blaze your own trail. Just make sure you know what your interviewer means when she says, "We've got an app for that!"

Frankie Bananas

I know you have to walk the walk, talk the talk and play the game but I must admit to having circumstance in the reverse of others here. I am NOT highly motivated, I'm not looking to cure cancer, solve the Middle East peace crisis nor am I looking to climb anyone's corporate ladder.

I want to earn a fair wage for a fair day's work......and go home at the end of the day. I have been in sales all of my life and have done well at it. I have found in an income/responsibility range that I am comfortable with and I'm not (yet) willing to go in front of a prospective employeer and BS them about my intentions. I am hoping to run in to someone who finds blunt honesty refreshing.

Perhaps ot surprisingly, I lost my job of many years 4 months ago and have been unemployed since. We'll see how it goes.

December 30 2009 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tony

Hi all. Please don't take this wrong. On Christmas, my wife of almost 30 years ended her life. My 3 kids and I are left alone and numb. I feel for you all and I know how tough it is, but you can't even start to know how bad it can be. You all have the courage to go on, one foot in front of the other. You will succeed. Don't be bitter. We are all the offspring of immigrants. God bless us all.

December 30 2009 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to tony's comment
Ralph Vitello

Good post Tony if you can go on we all surely can

What made us great might be our down fall

Trust in God
This to shall pass

December 30 2009 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

My husband has been virtually unemployed since 2003 -- he's a former attorney with over 20 years in business sales. But he's also 61. He's had many interviews but when they realize his age face to face, he never gets the job. I've been lucky to find work in a field that I love, teaching, but that just barely pays our bills. Anyway, the country needs to figure out what to do with all us baby boomers who are still want to work and aren't eligible for social security. Having national health care will help a big part of the problem for those without insurance, but what people really need are jobs.

December 30 2009 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bo

Me to. 55 years old and lost my job of 31 years. Borrowed on my home to start my own small business. Business is failing, ni unemployment, no insurance, about to lose my home. I get low paying part time jobs just to try to pay utilities. Sometimes jumping seemd the best answer when all looks hopeless.

December 30 2009 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bo's comment
Ralph Vitello

Brian Jumping is definetly not the answer
When all else fails turn to God and pray

Talk to people you trust
This to shall past
God bless

December 30 2009 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mbellkc135

Blah, blah, blah, if you are so good, people in the industry would remember working with you and give you a job. Why resort to filling blog space with a job resume? I am embarrassed for you.

December 30 2009 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ralph Vitello

I whole heartedly agree with the above comments I never would have imagined this could happen in our great country.
I believe we have to revisit the way we allow our country ro be sold out from under us, by importing workers to provide services and products
that undermine the american workers in all industry. There is a total inequity in the balance of wealth in this country that needs to be addressed
No hard working family should have to lose their home after working their
whole life to obtain it they should be protected from this in the same venue the
banks and the auto industry are. Some days I wake up
thinking this has to be a bad dream, unfortunately the worst is yet to come
If the President dosen't fiqure it out. Pray to God for his help.
Or find a millionaire with relationship problems.

Sincerely
Ralph

December 30 2009 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ralph Vitello

I believe we have to revisit the way we allow our country ro be sold out from under us and import workers to provide services and products that undermine the american workers in all industry. The is a total inequity in the balance of wealth in this country that needs to be examined No one should have to losetheir home after working their whole life to obtain it they should be protected from this in the same way the banks and the auto industry is. Some days I wake up thinking this has to be a bad dream unfortunately the worst is yet to come for some of the enen more unfortunate.
If the President dosen't fiqure it out. Pray to God for his help. Or find a millionaire with relationship problems I know he has my sympathy, Gafaw?

Sincerely
Ralph

December 30 2009 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Dana I know what all of you are saying, I have lost alot myself from being unemplyed the past year. I have sent hundreds of resume's out and had no positive response. Will I work for a third of my past salary? No I will not. I am one of the top 25 Commercial Superintendents in the country and will not start at my job for less than the trades people make.
While I was lucky in one respect my houses were paid for and I have some income from the rental payments. Hire American and buy American is the only way to get this country back in the right direction.

December 30 2009 at 7:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

AMAZING...SIMPLY AMAZING that gentleman and ladies alike with such impressive resumes are searching for work in our post Bush economy. Here I am, a master electrician with a college degree and twenty years plus of industrial experience including the auto industry, and I haven't worked since August. Oh...what to do? I've already lost nearly everything that I own as I've only worked about 18 months in the last three years. I've only had two interviews in four months and one of them asked me if I spoke Vietnamese...they were looking for someone to train their skilled trades who were predominantly Vietnamese. We need to stop taking in immigrants and put our own damned people back to work! But it looks like it will take a major labor revolt to accomplish this. Unemployed in Houston with no benefits or prospects after sending out over 1000 resumes and applications.!

December 29 2009 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Jack's comment
John S.

In the mind set of a new career and accepting anybody looking to hire a bright,loyal,energetic and focus partner or team player in a opportunity growth potential. Email me at ho31637@yahoo.com

December 29 2009 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply