Employees Ready To Jump Jobs When Market Improves

In this market, someone telling you "You're lucky to have a job" has never sounded so true. While there are many frustrated job seekers out there who can't seem to catch a break, there is apparently an entire group of gainfully employed folks who can't wait to jump ship when the market improves.

A survey from Opinion Research Corporation finds there's a majority of workers - 80% - who would consider leaving their job if they were presented with another opportunity. Twenty-five percent of those who responded to the survey said they have standing plans to leave their job when other companies are hiring again. Turns out younger employees are the ones most chomping at the bit for a better situation.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

While the results might seem ungrateful in the eyes of the unemployed, they do make sense. For starters, talk to anyone who's actually working and they'll tell you they're doing more with less and sometimes, for less. A friend who got a promotion recently was told there wouldn't be a raise along with the new title, and if they had hired from outside the company, the salary would have been less. That's right in line with what ORC found - perks are being cut at workplaces nationwide. Respondents said comp time, on-site daycare and a liberal Friday work schedule were among the first to go - there isn't any expectation these fringe benefits are coming back.

What does all this mean for employers? ORC says companies might face a "rude awakening" when the job market improves as employees migrate en masse to better positions. The solution? More than half of those surveyed (64%) said a pay raise might help, while a fair number said they'd consider staying for better benefits or a promotion.

Next: Top 10 Companies Hiring This Week >>

Find a Job

Search by Company | Search by Industry

Ed Orum

Editor

Ed is a journalist who has worked for some of the largest mediaorganizations in the U.S.His career has taken him to places big andsmall across the nation. With experience at various employers, Ed'scareer has run the gamut - he's been hired, been the one doing thehiring, quit and, most recently, laid off for the first time.Thankfully, Ed has never been fired, although many years ago he oncecame close while working part-time at a pizza place - turns out it wasa misunderstanding.

John

Work more for less, tax dollars going to bail out poor performing companies, reduced benifits at work, more hours yes it's called a job but at what expense to the workforce. Maybe we should all fight back dare I say GO UNIONS

December 20 2009 at 3:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
worker

Hi Chris, That has been my life style for a long time... that is to say, low consumerism. Like you I haven't bought a new car in a very long time. In fact I drive a 1991 Toyota truck and it's still in great condition. I fully expect to get another 10 years (at least) out of it. Ten months out of the year I ride a bicycle to my one regular scheduled part time job. In fact the main reason I keep it is because I can easily do the 7 miles each way on a bike and get a great workout 2 days a week in the process. Makes me healthier and reduces the miles I have to put on the truck. Unfortunately the other work I do requires me to haul around several hundred pounds of tools... a bit too much for my cycling habit.

Those who are actively working against health care reforms don't understand what an incredible burden having to keep an insurance company actually is. It not only keeps people in jobs they hate but also keeps them with insurance companies and plans they either can't afford or can't afford to use. My insurer has sucked about $50 K out of me in the past decade. For this I got an annual physical and an annual flu shot. When I have had minor problems I'm told either they can't help or I have to pay for it in full myself. Last year I broke my hand in a bike accident. My insurer wanted to send me to a 'hand specialist' from their stable of orthopaedic surgeons that in fact had no credentials to do hand surgery except that they made him the hand specialist. In any case, his surgery plan (out of date and not a good choice for my particular fracture) would have cost me exactly the same amount of money as a real hand surgeon outside the system, so, to get good care I had to go outside the system I have paid soooo much money for. I can't leave this company because I pay for my insurance, unlike most Americans, without assistance from an outside employer, and no other company will take me because I am self employed and over 55. Screwed any way I look at it. I would leave my Ins company in a heart beat if I could get into a government sponsered plan.

The Republicans rant about how government would destroy the quality of our health care system and cause the costs to skyrocket. In other countries government intervention sets the price of things that have gone way out of control here. In Japan an MRI costs $98. In the US it's unregulated... costs over $1000. A visit to the doc in Japan costs $3. Here it's $30 everytime I go in. They even tried to charge me for my annual physical... the only thing I actually get for my high deductable (because I could no longer afford the $750 a month for the good plan that cost me $150. a month when I signed up for it in 1995) because I had sent an E-mail to my doctor requesting an order for the blood work that goes with the exam before the visit. Now I pay $350 a month for a high deductable plan that offers nothing and has co pays that match the cost of treatment. I can actually get the same tests done at a local health fair for $30 a year that my insurer charges me $4,000 a year to have access to. They even make you sign a statement everytime you go in agreeing to pay their attorney fees if they sue you over non payment. Insult to injury! Would I leave my insurer if there was an option. In a New York minute! They suck... literally.

December 07 2009 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john morgan

I'm just a plain ol' country boy. I believe in an honest days work for an honest days pay. The company decided that an honest days pay was as little as they could get away with. I decided that that was an honest days work too.

December 06 2009 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jann

There is talk of our company relocating and as sad as it sounds I wish it would. They treat their employees as objects not as people. You work extra hours with no pay and at the end of the day the work is still piling up. They act as if by giving you extra help for that day their doing you a favor when actually they are only doing it to benefit themselves. These companies today need to wake up, they are going to lose valuable employees once the job market grows.

December 06 2009 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BIG-TARGET

I plan on jumping the first chance I get, even if it means lesser pay. One thing I learn at my job("big orange toolbox")is in that company:competence is punished and incompetence is rewarded! :(

December 05 2009 at 10:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Earl Bailey

I had a good paying job for 35 years in which I gave it my all. I was allotted 40 payed sick days a year of which I took a total of 8 in 35 years. I worked off the clock when needed and many 7 day work weeks as well. When my job went to Mexico, I was only able to find one paying less than half of what I had made. What did I do? Work just as hard as I did before with the same degree of loyalty. It's a sense of pride in my work that kept me going, but I'm afraid that will become a rarity when businesses take every opportunity to screw over their work force. People may stay because they can't find another job, but they will stab you in the back every chance they get!

December 05 2009 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DH

Let's see, employers cut salaries to the level of poverty. Then cut insurance benefits, incentives and matching 401k contributions. And the best part is the required additional hours of work to make up for the personnel they terminated to boost their own personal bottom line. Ah, now I see. It's the workers attitude that needs adjusting. They should be grateful to be employed.
This is the same neanderthal thinking that's been going on for over a hundred years. The leaders of our country still DON'T GET IT! Employers have enough legal support to protect themselves from bad performing employees.( Except in the financial arena where you're rewarded with bonus for sending the American economy down the tubes) And you have employers wondering why employees with a long history would want to leave? Someone left their BRAIN at Wal-Mart. Until we the general workforce in this country stand together and demand some employee protections through new laws, we're screwed three ways to Sunday.

December 05 2009 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to DH's comment
CLB

I agree totally!!!

December 05 2009 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mead Carlson

problem is most jobs today are low pay low or no benefit. Because of the high unemployment, employers can treat employees poorly with lousy conditions. "if you don't like it, I can get someone else" is their attitude. Things wont improvw . There are many qualified good peolpe who are underemployed or unemployed today. Don't beleive for a minute they can't find anyone.

December 05 2009 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

"Lucky to have a job?" That's commie talk. You're "lucky" (actually just probably smart and ambitious) if you have a profitable business. LOL, as if jobs just come from the heavens above to bless the chosen few! Don't get jobs--create jobs instead.

December 05 2009 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin Finnerty

To all the unemployed....Call your Senators and Congressmen and tell them to support Bill HR4183 which extends unemployment benefits to the year 2011. ALL tier benefits are set to expire December 31,2009 INCLUDING the new benefits Obama signed last month. These benefits are needed by millions of Americans who can't find jobs because of the recession.

December 05 2009 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 20 - July 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.