10 Great Jobs for Midlife Women

By Aaron Crowe for AOL Find a Job

midlife+womenMore.com ran a list of 10 great jobs for midlife women. It's a short list of jobs meant to feed your passion, and I think they could work just as well for a man as a woman.

They're jobs in growing sectors that don't rely on youth but on experience, and offer flexible hours and the ability to work remotely. And they pay well.

These jobs may make you want to change your life, according to More.com. And if they don't, they should at least give you some ideas on how to find your passion and turn it into a job.

Here they are, with a salary range and an idea of the challenge of each:

1. Chief Environmental Officer

Help a company shrink its carbon footprint and earn a six-figure salary.
Challenge: Navigating politics inside and outside your organization.

2. Religious Leader

Pastors can earn from $48,000 to more than $100,000.
Challenge: Being a public role model.

3. Fund-raiser

Use your networking skills to get money out of groups and individuals. Pay is $50,500 for the first year.
Challenge: Making cold calls.

4. Genetics Counselor

A master's degree is typically needed to help people decide if they should get medical treatment based on genetic testing. Pay is $59,000 per year.
Challenge: Helping make heart-wrenching decisions.

5. Landscape Architect

Making an outdoor space come to life sounds like an easy job, but a college degree helps. Pay is $90,000.
Challenge: Local politics.

6. Tax Expert

The IRS is conducting more audits and someone is needed to help people prepare forms and handle audits. Pay is $50 to $400 per hour.
Challenge: Gotta be good with numbers.

7. Education Advocate

Help special-needs children with their education options. Pay is $60,000 per year.
Challenge: Bureaucrats.

8. Financial Adviser

Help people plan their financial future, earning $120,000 a year.
Challenge: Understanding stocks, interest rates.

9. Online Professor

The ultimate job from home or anywhere with a computer and Internet connection, earning $70,000 a year.
Challenge: Constantly being on a computer.

10. Commercial Real Estate Agent

While real estate prices are falling, the commercial side can be more lucrative. Pay is $61,000.
Challenge: Working for commission

Remember: These are just a start and should give anyone -- man or woman -- a good starting ground for discovering their passion and finding a job they look forward to going to each day.

Next: Top 10 Companies Hiring This Week >>

Find a Job

Search by Company | Search by Industry

taylor

misslovingal - only in the Roman Catholic Church.

November 19 2009 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eddie

they are several way to promote if you are doing fun raising you can use the tools on (https://sites.google.com/site/a100dollartwitterday/)and make money on different ways just by spending a couple of hours on the net

November 19 2009 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
susan

As an educated experienced profesional of 37, you will find it far easier to land a position than if you had those same qualities as a 47-50+ year old. Until you reach that age, you have no idea the daily disrespect that occurs. Many things change for women in the job market from 47 on. This is not a negative victim comment...it's the sad truth of our society. My advice, (from personal experience), if you are 45+, and currently employed, don't ever , ever quit a job....you will have a difficult to impossible finding another....especially in the current economy.

November 19 2009 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Viv

Please don't say you can't afford going to school. At my age, I had virtually nothing, except the "want to" and I filled out an interest in education thing online and had several online colleges contact me. Don't accept everything they say as the whole truth, check them out, find out if they are accredited then GO for it! I'm now enrolled in school. It's kicking my butt but being disabled all I have is time and a STRONG desire to do something more with my life. I'll be back and post the great job I am trained for in the not so distant future and what will YOU be doing? Whining that there is nothing to do and you can't do this or that... how sad

November 19 2009 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

pole puffer:
Must have thick lips and breath thru nose
job pays based on talent

November 19 2009 at 7:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cf

Hi! I love Retail as a Profession and found it to be very high paying! I have a BS in Psychology/Business and tried other careers and still went back to Retail where I started! You can do very well financially if you rise thru the ranks!!!! Also, there is Real Estate.... I am Substitute Teaching currently and it is the lowest amount of money anyone could ever make but you feel like you are giving back to the community... Retail!!!!

November 19 2009 at 6:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
There are just too Many Stupid People

???Illegal to be a Female PASTOR???
STATEMENT BY MISSLOVINGAL Nov 18th 2009 @ 10:52PM
"its against the law for a women to be a pastor..or did you forget"
I want to reply to your comment with my opinion.
What Planet do you live on? AND WHERE ON EARTH DID YOU GET YOUR INFORMATION???? I searched the Web and couldn't find any information to VERIFY OR VALIDATE your STUPID comment. (I am trying to use simple words so I don't confuse you.) Climb out from under your rock. The only religion thus far that doesn't allow woman to be ordaned is the Catholics and my BELIEF (I am an educated person) is that sometime in the future, it will happen.
There have been ORDAINED Female Pastors graduating from the SAME SEMINARY schools as MALE PASTORS and Ministers for the last 25+ years. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. In the words of Wisdom, It's best to let people THINK your an IDIOT than to open your mouth and prove them RIGHT. Your idiot statement is just more proof that our country is being constantly burden (populated) with each new generation of unintellingent life forms. We have a serious problem here, the gene pool is becoming terribly dilluted. Stupid breeds Stupid. It's a very sad world. God help us all.

November 19 2009 at 6:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachel

Are you idiots? Not every woman can return to school and land a 4.0 You were just lucky honey. Sometimes its just like playing cards you win some you lose some. A woman can enroll in school with all the good intentions of doing the best and still get knocked down just like anyone else. Kids, illness, changes in schedule can really destroy the best efforts. You make it out like we can control everything but the truth is that it is a gamble to try to go back to school, and sometimes when your teen is trying to slit thier wrists because you already do not spend any time with them because there are three kids and one is special needs etc, that you just cant have one more straw added to the pile. I am not saying to give up but dont be so harsh if someone gets a bit P O'd because you make it look like a cake walk. Take Care.-Rachel.

November 19 2009 at 4:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rachel's comment
skl

Rachel...Sounds like you live in my world...the REAL one!

November 19 2009 at 5:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

What about an illegal allien smugler, they make in one night about $10K , but it can go as high as 100K

November 19 2009 at 4:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
helpless

What kind of employment could be commesurate with my experience. Yes, to work from home is ideal. I just want to supplement my income. Please email me with a return number or email and we will catch up, thanks, Jennifer

November 19 2009 at 3:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply