Santa's hiring, sort of: UPS hiring seasonal workers

upsSanta Claus may have enough elves helping him make toys, but with an entire globe to deliver to, he's getting some help from UPS.

UPS is looking for seasonal workers for the holidays and often beyond, according to its Web site.

It's hiring 50,000 seasonal package handlers and drivers' helpers, down from 60,000 two years ago, according to an ABC News story.

The part-time jobs are typically for package handlers, so the sexy jobs of driving UPS trucks must be popular enough to be filled without part-time workers.

It's holiday positions are typically driver helper positions, assisting with package pickup and delivery, so there's a chance you'll be in a UPS delivery truck as a seasonal worker.

Or for part-time work that could last beyond Christmas, there's nothing wrong with help sort Christmas packages that are an important part of Santa's route.

UPS advertises having consistent work schedules, and weekends off except at some of its air hubs.

But unlike Santa, who gets all of the glory, these seasonal jobs probably won't get as many thank-yous from appreciative customers. They're fast-paced, physically demanding jobs with average pay starting at $8.50 an hour.

Find UPS jobs near you

Next: Top 10 Companies Hiring This Week >>

Find a Job

Search by Company | Search by Industry

foreigntrade4

Wholesale Clothing Brands,Outdoor Jackets、Free Jackets、Down Jackets、Boots、The North Face、Canada Goose、Mamort、Mammut、Arcteryx、Columbia、Supras、Nike、Ugg、Asics...

October 11 2011 at 4:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Micky

They really suck, I applied Nov 10, for open driver helper in my area. Checked on line app, said completed for past four weeks, tonight I go to delete link, for lack of contact from them, see incomplete app. After I fill out all my personal info ss, dob, tax exempt, clink on link fo interview dates, all positions full. What in the hell was that about? they got all my info for what? Man they really really suck.

December 09 2009 at 3:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tea

I went to training 2 weeks ago. I have called everyday since and always told "IT IS SLOW" What a waste of time. $9.50 hour for 5 hour of training and $13.00 union fee. $33.34 check priceless. UPS sucks. I stopped calling them.

December 01 2009 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kurvy89

First of all the reason why he works only 3 hours a night is that it doesn't take no more than 2 hours to load a plane .. airport shifts vary, but mine is is 8-11pm, usually we finish around 10-10:30 though.. and idk what you guys are talking about but volume is ridiculous come christmas time and after black friday..

November 25 2009 at 8:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CGarcia

Why UPS is hiring? This is BS! My husband works part-time at UPS for 5 years now and UPS only give them 3 hrs to work every night. The management should allow its employees to work extra hours than to hire other new people.

November 19 2009 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

I worked for UPS last year it sure was a joke alright. I work one day the whole time. I stared Dec 1 you work up to Dec 24 you have to call in everydays to find out if they need you to work that day. They just keep telling me that its was slow and to keep calling. For 8.50 hr forget. I work for them in 2000 and I started after Thankgivings till christmas eve didn't have to call in back then just meet the driver somewhere and I got pay 11.50 hr plus a $100.00 bonus if you work Christmas eve. It probably the same as it was last year because the way things still are today SLOW.

November 05 2009 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paul

ups is a joke they are slave drivers i went for an orientation and they pay 8.50 hr and expect far too much from u only the drivers get paid well ur better off at wallmart i hate these big corporations taking advantage of the people

November 05 2009 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harry

i applied two weeks ago and have not heard anything from anyone as of yet. don'y know who to call to check on application. thanks for your help.

November 04 2009 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply