High Entry-Level Salaries

Last month, I wrote a post about 50 jobs that pay $50,000 or more and a lot of you commented that you wanted to see jobs that pay that amount at the entry level.

I did some detective work and found 20 jobs whose entry-level salaries range from $41,000 to $77,000 a year. Compare these to the national mean of $41,231 for all workers and that's a nice chunk of change for starting out in a new career.

One thing to keep in mind: While there are jobs that pay well at the entry-level, that pay is usually related to education. If you want a high starting salary, you'll have to do your homework ... literally. Certifications, post-secondary education and baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate degrees are usually needed for these jobs.

Here are 20 jobs with high entry-level salaries, according to SalaryExpert.com, which powers CBSalary.com:

1. ERI Specialist

16. Computer Information Scientist

Industry: IT

Annual salary: $65,624

17. Web Developer

Industry: IT

Annual salary: $66,861

18. MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer)

Industry: Engineering

Annual salary: $71,935

19. Systems Analyst Lead

Industry: IT

Annual salary: $74,518

20. Software Developer

Industry: IT

Annual salary: $77,511

Next: Top 10 Companies Hiring This Week >>

THOMAS

OMG I'M just 19 and from india and i so very badly wanna work in the usa for it's my dream land i've completed my highschool and my 2yrs of pre university college as well and now working with an awesome company in india for over a year . i would love to know if there would be anycompany that could hire me i'm ready to do any kinda job i promise................

November 12 2009 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hobart Dodken

No, folks. It' not what you know or who you know, but really: WHO knows you! !

Also, use your head(s). If it were that easy to make a million dollars an hour using the internet, don't you really think everyone -and I mean everyone- would stop what they're doing and climb on board? ? ? Sure, some have done well, but for most it's just another rip-off scam.

October 24 2009 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
THOMAS

I GOT MY INFORMATION TODAY FROM THE "NEW YORK TIMES"

October 24 2009 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shell

JC, I enrolled in the medical coding program at a community college. Down to my last two classes before taking the cpc coding exam. This is taking me almost 2 years to finish. I have been unemployed since last December. Your right. You must be certified and have 1-2 years or more experience to work in the medical field. Just go on monster.com or career builders and you will see. It is extremely difficult to get into the health field unless you know someone. I believe the field is flooded with prospects. I also found no one wants to hire a novice. Hope you have better luck where your at. You can also check the American Academy of Professional Coders.

October 24 2009 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Shell's comment
Larry

Hello Shell, I'm almost finished a course for medical coding too. I hope there will be some opportunities to get started. I'm in NJ. What state sre you in?

November 26 2009 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Keith

Ok, first of all, this article is published by Careerbuilder.com. You can throw any article written by those amateurs to the wind. If you don't believe me, take any one of those career fields, do a job search on their own website, and see what you come up with. Zilch, nada, nothing. Either that or the starting salaries are much lower than reported here. The blogger is likely taking BLS statistics from several years previous and stating them as being current market conditions. Complete nonsense. Many of these 'entry-level' jobs don't exist at the moment, and if they do, they certainly don't start at well over 50K as the article is stating.

October 24 2009 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mark turner

Hopefully the Pay Czar will see to it soon that no job pays more than any other and that way we all may be equal. It makes me angry to see people providing for themselves and keeping most of their paychecks when those of us who subsist on the gov't's kindness have to struggle. If you absolutely "have" to have a job then it should be more like a hobby and not pay that much.

October 24 2009 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
josephine kartika

I tried to open the link you mentioned in your letter but no result. I tried several times to follow links promising profitable work at home. Till now no results at all. Once I even paid for it as told and did not receive any work.

October 24 2009 at 4:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dennis

very cool but i would really like to see jobs that may not require a degree to start and still make a good salary like maybe $24000 a year. my son is wanting to go to pay for school but his part-time job at a clothing store isn't cutting it. poor kid, POOR DAD...LOL

October 24 2009 at 1:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Felber

What a load of crap!!!! Are you kidding me? Who the hell would hire an entry level Systems Analyst Lead? Are you telling me an entry level person is qualified to be a Lead Systems Analyst? I would think the rest of the Systems Analysts would be a little p.o.'ed if an entry level person came in to lead them.

October 23 2009 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LONNIE MCVAIGH

YELLOWBOOK!

1986 STILL HAD UNIONS, APPRENTICE, JOURNEYMEN AND MASTER CRAFTSMEN WHO HAD TO PASS LICENSE REQUIREMENTS. YOUR JOB WAS REPLACED BY THE INTERNET OR SOMEBODY IN INDIA WHO NOW WORKS FOR .99 AN HOUR!

THEY CALL THAT DATA PROCESSING CHAMP! MINIMUM WAGE ENTRY LEVEL...

October 23 2009 at 9:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply