What Your Handwriting Says About You

handwritingOf course, what you write is more important than how you write it, but arguably one's handwriting can be considered a window into the soul –or at least one's job satisfaction. Handwriting is an everyday skill that we use to convey thoughts and ideas, and studies show that there could be more to your scribbling than meets the eye. Whether you are handing in a report with notes in the margin or leaving a simple note for your colleague, your handwriting may contain important clues about your state of mind and your personality. Use these tips to analyze how your pen strokes might be declaring your persona to the people around you. Who knows? You might find your John Hancock telling you that you need to make a few changes to your modus operandi!

Handwriting Style: Small Script.

handwritingWhat it may say about you: If your writing is on the small side, you might be coming across as introverted and socially reclusive. However, small scripters are also known to be very detail oriented and methodical. If this sounds like you, perhaps you should look into a position where research is an important aspect of the job, like newspaper journalism or pharmaceuticals. You just might find that you have a knack for digging through sources to find the right information and your little letters will help you to squeeze a lot of information into a small space.

Handwriting Style: Large Letters.

What it may say about you: People who write in huge script are often displaying their large personality and extremely social nature on paper. Do you often find yourself being the life of the party? When it comes to jobs where working in teams is important, like in public relations or the hospitality industry, this quality will often be appreciated by your peers. Just make sure you're not so focused on being the center of attention that you miss out on what your colleagues have to say. Loner jobs aren't ideal for you, and you're better off in a lively environment where there is a good amount of face to face interaction.

Handwriting Style: Downward-slanting letters.

What it may say about you: If your letters lean down, this may sometimes appear as though your words are connected to pessimism and an unpleasant disposition. Only you can know whether or not you're a grumpy employee, and even if you're in a troubled industry like real estate, if you notice that your "p"s and "q"s are looking a little droopy, you might want to observe your interactions with colleagues to see how your presence is being received.

Handwriting Style: Upward-slanting letters.

handwritingWhat it may say about you: Whatever you're writing, it makes others feel like things are looking up! Everyone in an office appreciates the energy that an optimist brings to the workplace, and if your writing slants upwards there is a chance that you are among the most desirable of officemates. An upward slanted style can also be indicative of honesty and a strong will to succeed, and those qualities will serve you well in any field of activity, but especially in the field of training and at not for profit organizations.

Handwriting Style: Dark, bold strokes.

What it may say about you: Those who use a heavy hand and a good amount of pressure when writing are often thought to be people who are not afraid of commitment. Being able to take on commitment and owning the space (and the pages!) around you is certainly a positive attribute, especially in a field like consulting or banking. However, if your handwriting shows excessive pressure, then it might be a sign of aggression and a quick temper. In addition, you could be causing unnecessary physical stress to your hand and wrist.

More Telling Features:

Handwriting Style: Faint, light strokes.

What it may say about you: Most of the time, writing without too much pressure on the page displays an easy going nature and a level of sensitivity towards others a great trait in multifaceted industries like travel. But write too lightly and you run the risk of showing no confidence or liveliness at all, and nobody wants to hire an employee who doesn't have at least a little pep in their step and ownership of their words!

Handwriting Style: Squished words and cramped sentences.

What it may say about you: The way your words bunch together can often be a direct translation to how you create your personal relationships. If you write with little or no space between words, you may be a person who likes little or no space when it comes to people. The positive aspect of this could be that you are a social person who enjoys the company of others, which works wonders in an educational career or in recreation. However, leaving too little space between you and your colleagues might lead some to think of you as intrusive, so be sure to find a balance.

Handwriting Style: Words and sentences that are extremely spaced out.

handwritingWhat is may say about you: If you prefer to be alone or feel the need to have your own space at all times, look to see if your written words and letters reflect this by being far away from one another. Everyone needs space from time to time, but make sure that you are not sending yourself and your message to outer space while everyone else is trying to get work done as a close-knit team. Being a top level employee means having to work in groups on occasion, even if your career is an isolated one like those in computer software and hardware, so if you have tendencies towards creating distance, then you might need to make an extra effort to reach out to your colleagues.

Next: Can Your Favorite Color Determine Your Perfect Job? >>

foreigntrade4

Wholesale Clothing Brands,Outdoor Jackets、Free Jackets、Down Jackets、Boots、The North Face、Canada Goose、Mamort、Mammut、Arcteryx、Columbia、Supras、Nike、Ugg、Asics...

October 11 2011 at 4:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary D

I WAS TOTALLY LEFT HANDED UNTIL AN INJURY A YEAR AGO, AND I AM HAVING TO LEARN TO WRITE RIGHT HANDED. I CAN'T BE THE ONLY PERSON WITH A PROBLEM OF THIS SORT, SO I WON'T GET A JOB BECAUSE AFTER 50 YEARS OF USING MY LEFT HAND NOW I HAVE TO USE MY RIGHT. AND OF COURSE MY AGE WILL PLAY NO PART OF IT EITHER.

July 26 2010 at 2:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
judy

I am very frustrated that this article did not account for people who have a neurological dysfunction. I am dyslexic so my handwriting is dreadful. My eye-hand coordination isn't there an no matter who hard I try, it won't be there because I have a learning disorder. It is not my fault. I did not ask to have this condition. I had a third grade teacher who "held kids accountable" by announcing to the class that anyone who did not have good handwriting would have their paper ripped up. I thought, "oh no." I was trying as hard as I could. I was so scared. The teacher came up to me and ripped up my paper in front of the entire class. My handwriting never did improve, but I bore scars from that one day for many years.

July 25 2010 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suteko

Okay I was taught cursive in school, did okay with it and dropped it in highschool. Most people have trouble reading cursive, whereas they should be able to read printing. Cursive like caligraphy is a dying art and for everyday use I am perfectly happy with that. I am a writer and if I had to use cursive on the first drafts of my work I would never get to the second draft. It isn't laziness, it isn't lack of education it is the fact that most people now don't handwrite things. They type on their computers or their cellphones. My two oldest can write in cursive but really you would think you were reading a professor or a doctor's notes. It isn't a sign of laziness or some lack it just is all of use are left handed and cursive like most things is really for righthanded people. At least printing I have less ink on my hand at the end of my day.

June 01 2010 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I went to a Catholic elementary school and learned first to print, then to write cursive in the second grade. Cursive was expected on all written assignments through 8th grade. Then when I went to the public High School, they no longer expected cursive and I began printing again. It was a well funded public school district as well, but I think they had more important things to be concerned about than handwriting. I can still write in cursive, but I can print much more quickly than I can write in cursive. Now, I only use cursive for writing notes in greeting cards. PS: I don't think there is any reliability in the theory of handwriting analysis. It is interesting when it correlates, but it doesn't always align with one's personality.

May 05 2010 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Spellfreak

Shil---------------PLEASE do not use all caps in anything.....to me it means you are mad or screaming! I refuse to read anything in all caps. Please change your ways unless you are always mad or screaming. Thanks much!

May 05 2010 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Spellfreak

Speaking of a comment on using a small "i" in a correspence... whatever turns you on. I knew someone once who could write a fine letter and used the small "i" for I, meaning himself. Never commented on it...wouldn't mind getting another one of those letters using the small "i".

This gal took Penmanship in school years ago. Don't think they teach that subject anymore from the writing I have seen; nor sentence structure, either.

May 05 2010 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sky Heart

What's with the guy in the photo? Is that the type of people we have to work with these days, sly, I am ready to criticize you for every single thing you do look? They should spend more to working on developing their work skills instead of drumming up these ways to incorrectly judge someone. Handwriting analysis along with body language and facial expressions all can be, of course judged, but you really have to ask the individual what it means. Is the look on a person's face a mean look that you conclude or is they just found out someone died? See what I mean - It is judging incorrectly by those ways and it is unfair if you conclude without asking the person.

May 02 2010 at 8:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sky Heart

I would not want to work for a place that "analyzes" my handwriting. I don't think it is valid either. To me if someone analyzed me from my handwriting at work, I would take that as an indication of abusiveness in the work place. It may be correct in some cases or close but it is not ever something concrete that you can judge someone on. It also would be a type of discrimination. Also, my handwriting, changes from time to time and I deliberately do it.

May 02 2010 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VC

Are you joking? Do you have anything other than superficial measures by which to judge people or is this garbage the extent of your... erm... "talent"?

I've always thought that making shallow judgments about people based on this type of fraudulent information is indicative of either a seriously hateful upbringing or an undeveloped intellect. So which is it? Do you come from a family of hating scumbags or are you retarded?

Here's an idea on how you can redeem yourself though... how about you do an expose on how people with HR "careers" (*laugh*) have managed to continuously justify their existence by peddling this and other similar BS?

How about you and your no-talent, no-skilled colleagues try getting real skills and real jobs?

March 17 2010 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to VC's comment
Sky Heart

I agree with you completely.

May 02 2010 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply