I've been a Nanny for over 17 years. I have always loved my positions and my charges. I am still extremely close with my first family that I was with for over 11 years.

June 25 2013 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan Elizabeth

Thanks so much for writing this article. And a special thank you for including me in it :) I'm the "runaway nanny" who arrived at an assignment only to discover I was to share a tiny bedroom with 2 small children and my things were to be placed in 3 dresser drawer. What a disaster this turned out to be. Thanks again!

May 06 2011 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cat Wevodau

I am 55 years old, a Granny AND a Nanny. I am caring for a 20 month old who I have been with since he was 6 weeks old. I am soon to care for his little sibling to be born in August. I live outside the families home and work 8 to 4, am salaried and treated like more than an employee always! I could not ask for a better job nor more loving, respectful people to work for! Give it a try, we Grannies are pretty great at this job!

March 26 2010 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I've been a Nanny for 3 1/2 years. Unlike the other 2 examples given I have grown children (college & beyond) I work for a very normal Chicago Suburban family. They had 2 kids when I started and now have 3.

I found the article to be untrue for most Nannies in the States, no all employees are not the same but I think for the most part we are treated with respect, both by the parents and the kids. No I'm not getting rich from it, I do it because I love small kids and it'll be a long time before I am a Grandma.

I would like to see a larger spectrum of Nannies interviewed before articles are posted.

September 01 2009 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I spent an enjoyable 3 years as Nanny to a delightful child. She was six weeks old when we first met and it was never my intention to babysit someone's child. I'm still not even sure why I answered the ad. However, during the interview, when they put that baby in my arms and she looked up at me with those big brown eyes, I was hopelessly and irrevocably hooked. That was one of the best times of my life. Her parents were military and this was their first child. After we got to know one another better, they relaxed and allowed me more autonomy and freedom to raise their precious jewel as I would had she been one of my own nieces or nephews. We played, sang, went to the park, shopped and just generally hung out like wet sheets. The only disagreements I had with her parents was when on days that I needed off or on days she was in day care (to build socialization skills) they still insisted on paying me for those days! For my part, I taught her to talk and walk by the time she was 8 months old. I gave her the precious gift of books by reading to her frequently and playing interactive computer games with her even as an infant. We LOVED Sesame Street and TellyTubbies and we both hated Barney! Now at the age of seven, she is highly intelligent, loves to read, plays soccer and competes in triathlons geared to her age group. They are now in Germany and I miss her dearly. These people became my friends and are considered part of my family. My only regret was having to leave them when we moved away from the area. It was a very emotionally satisfying and rewarding job.

September 01 2009 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jazzeeone's comment

wow what a heart warming story good for you and am sad for your loss but you really gota life time experience in your mnanny years thank you for your story

April 06 2010 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply