7 Great Side Jobs for Extra Cash

Payscale

Strapped for cash? Many people are in these trying times. With growing unemployment, salary cuts, and the rising cost of living, plenty of Americans are seeking additional avenues to increase cash flow. Check out these seven hot side jobs that can be done around your 9-to-5 and with skills you may already have.

1. Dog Walker.

Even in a recession people don't skimp on their furry loved ones. Therefore, being a dog walker can be an easy sell, especially for other people who need to work two jobs to make ends meet. The double bonus here is you can get great exercise while racking up extra bucks. You can also walk dogs before or after your full-time job.

Dog walker median salary per hour: $16.29.

2. Handyman.

No matter where the economy stands, things still break that must be fixed. When you are good at fixing things, word travels fast. It's possible to make a small mint fixing cars, installing water heaters, and doing home electrical and plumbing jobs. Consider how much a full-time car mechanic or a plumber charges. Even if you discount your rate, the pay is still good, and customers feel like they got a deal. From painting to fence-building, there are plenty of household jobs many people can't do or simply don't want to.

Handyman median salary per hour: $17.33.

3. Medical Transcription.

Are you a fast typist with excellent grammar and a medical background? If so, medical transcription may be for you. An added perk is that you can do it from home! This job often calls for at least one year's experience in a hospital or clinical setting; some ads require transcription experience. Tools you will need for this job likely include high-speed Internet and Microsoft 2000 software. You should also be prepared to take a skills test.

Medical transcriptionist median salary per hour: $13.78.

4. Wills/Medical Power of Attorney.

While planning for the inevitable can be upsetting, it provides a way for attorneys to make extra side income. Lawyers can get up to speed on formulating simple wills and living trusts without too much effort. Completing these documents is something most people agree is essential but have not checked off their 'to-do' list. Talk to friends, church members, and neighbors to generate clients. Potential clients are likely working or have other commitments just like you. Therefore, being available outside of business hours makes meeting up more convenient for everyone involved.

Attorney median salary per hour: $55.66.

5. Income Tax Preparer.

Tax season is here so why not cash in? Preparing income taxes is one of the most dreaded have-tos among Americans. There are plenty of people who would be glad to pass off their tax preparations to someone else if for no other reason than the fear of being audited. Donald Cheatham, owner of DC Tax Group, turned his side job into a small side business. He chose this off-hours gig because of the high demand and he enjoys accounting and the extra money. "I work 50 to 60 hours a week on my main job [as an accountant] and another 25 to 35 hours a week for my part-time job during tax season. So it gets a little hard at times and usually sleep is the one thing that I don't get during tax season, but it is well worth it," says Cheatham, who started up in 1995 in Chicago. While it helps your credibility if you are a certified public accountant, this certification is not required.

The median salary for an accountant per hour: $18.19; CPA median salary per hour: $26.25.

6. Teach a Hobby.

> Whether it is dance, tennis, golf, computer skills, or music, teaching someone how to do something you are good at and love makes working a second job less like, well...work. You can find teacher job ads at recreational centers in your neighborhood or advertise your expertise online and in local publications. With spring in the air, more people will want to get out and try something new or improve their skills.

Dance instructor median salary per hour: $18.58; Music teacher median salary per hour: $21.28.

7. Babysitter.

This job is convenient, especially if you have kids. After all, you can make money with them right near by. Offer to watch your friends' and neighbors' kids so they can take a breather, and they will love you for it. Another option is to help people who work nights. Finding a 24-hour daycare service is difficult to say the least. Caring for several kids on the same night can compound your earnings and get you extra cash more quickly.

Babysitter median salary per hour: $9.00.

Source: All salary data are from PayScale.com.

foreigntrade4

Wholesale Clothing Brands,Outdoor Jackets、Free Jackets、Down Jackets、Boots、The North Face、Canada Goose、Mamort、Mammut、Arcteryx、Columbia、Supras、Nike、Ugg、Asics...

October 11 2011 at 5:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
painter_kari@yahoo.com

I have never entertained the idea of joining a network marketing team until I found a product that works in so many wonderful ways! I've seen so many health benefits from this product and I couldn't wait to become part of the team. If you or anyone you know wants to lose weight, supplement or REPLACE your current income on part-time hours, contact me! Serious inquiries only from motivated people! Let's GO!
www.karihaan.myzija.com

April 10 2011 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

As a medical transcriptionist for many years, I agree with others who are offended when transcription is referred to as a side job that anyone can do. I had someone tell me once that they thought this was a job that people only did when they were "between jobs." It requires skill, dedication, knowledge of anatomy, pharmacology, to say nothing of excellent language skills. It also requires hours and hours alone, sitting all day with ear plugs in your ears. Despite all this, this was a job I loved, until the company I worked for lost its contract to outsourcing in India. Unfortunately, I do not see this career field as one which will continue to be stateside. More and more hospitals and clinics are outsourcing overseas; or they are using EMR (electronic medical records); or voice recognition. AOL is not the only one to continue to promote this career field as something that just about anyone can do, with little to no training, duping people into spending money for training for a career that does not readily accept "newbies." A little more research should be done by those who are promoting career fields as easy, at-home jobs, with next to no training or investment (aside from equipment), when they have not researched the future of the career. This one is rapidly going down the tubes.

November 30 2009 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Jones

I love Mary Kay, I also represent Parklane Jewelry and Ardyss International (Body Magic). Low Start-up, Minimal time, Great money. Serious inquiries only. Email me at lisas_faith@yahoo.com

November 17 2009 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tyler

my name is tyler, i live in everett wa. i am in desire of a solid full time job to help me get back on my feet again! i put in many applications through out the area and even filed for unemployment. but no luck with either. i have military experiance and am qualified to repair electricle equipment. i have worked in retail recieving goods and also have many other tallents. im not job specific! any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

September 04 2009 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rita

I am looking a work from home job that doesn't require a deposit. I had a friend that use to key coupons online in her own time. If there is anyone that knows anything about this please write me back. Thank you for your time.

August 02 2009 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marisa

I don't see stripper on this list. Quick cash and few hours...

July 14 2009 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carly

All I know is I'm drowning in debt and need extra cash fast. I have a full time job and still can't make the bills. My partner can't find full time work and the part time money she makes is a joke. I'm afraid to try online opportunities because I can't afford to give someone money and lose it. Even if I wanted to try, I don't have any extra money to pay for an opportunity. All of these opportunities sound great, but are there any guarantees?

July 11 2009 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gidget

There are lots of ways to make money. Depending on your attitude and how much effort you are really willing to put forth you can be as rich or as poor as you like.

My 6 year old company has surpassed all expectations earning more than a billion and a hlaf dollars. More than 65 people have become millionaires and there are hundreds of thousands earning SIGNIFICANT amounts of money only working part time.

Watch a quick video at www.EffortSuccessReward.com

Click on the info tabs to learn more.

May 21 2009 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gidget

Not a sales pitch and not for everyone. This is only for those who really and truly see themselves in a better life.

Working from home using the phone and internet may be the answer. I get to work with people I really like... and the best part is we all make money just having fun and sharing stories. No inventory to keep, no direct sales, just the BEST PAY PLAN in the industry with the best executive team you'll find out there. Find out what makes us different than the "others".

Take a look at www.EffortSuccessReward.com
Watch the short video and then click on the opportunity tab. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

May 21 2009 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply