10 Jobs for Quiet Workers

CareerBuilder.com

quiet jobsYou can't help it -- you like your alone time. If you had it your way, you'd be at home most of the time, alone with your thoughts, your computer and your DVR. The time spent actually talking to anyone but your cats would be minimal.

Unfortunately, the real world exists -- one in which working from home is sometimes an option, but more than likely, you have to go to work.

If talking, socializing and general forms of human interaction aren't your thing, you probably loathe the idea of working in a cube where the chatter never stops, or in an office where your primary duty involves using your voice.

If you'd rather hone your quiet skills than your voice box, here are 10 jobs that let you work how you do best: alone.

1. Automotive Service Technician

Why it's quiet: Automotive service technicians have an intimate relationship with one thing: cars. Aside from a short conversation with clients on "what seems to be the problem," service technicians spend most of their time under the hood of the vehicle.

Salary*: $37,622/year

2. Cost Estimator

Why it's quiet: Cost estimators keep to themselves as they analyze everything from blueprints to proposals to determine the cost of a potential project from start to finish. They do their best to nail down costs on things like materials, labor, location and duration of the project to determine if business owners or managers should make a bid for a contract.

Salary: $53,413/year

3. Interior Designer

Why it's quiet: Though interior designers need to initially meet with their clients to determine their wants, needs and budget constraints, most of their time is spent alone as they focus on decorating. They choose styles and color palettes; and pick furniture, artwork and lighting. Many interior designers work as consultants or are self-employed.

Salary: $45,524/year

4. Librarian

Why it's quiet: It might seem obvious, but given that librarians work in a mostly "no talking zone," it makes sense that a librarian position suits quiet workers. Most of your time is spent organizing and maintaining library publications and materials, and the rest you'll spend directing people to whatever they may need.

Salary: $48,025/year

5. Medical Transcriptionist

Why it's quiet: These guys don't talk; they listen. Medical transcriptionists copy recordings made by physicians or other health care professionals into medical reports, correspondence or other materials. They usually listen to recordings on a headset and use a foot pedal to pause the recording when necessary. Many medical transcriptionists telecommute from home-based offices.

Salary: $31,251/year

6. Network Systems Analyst

Why it's quiet: Network systems analysts don't consult much else except their computers as they design, test and evaluate computer systems like local area networks, wide area networks, the Internet and intranets. As networks expand, telecommuting is common for computer professionals because more work can be done from remote locations.

Salary: $40,827/year

7. Survey Researcher

Why it's quiet: The primary role of survey researchers is to find out what people think. Rather than interviewing people, they design and conduct surveys via the Internet, mailed questionnaires or telephone interviews. Typically, they work alone writing reports, preparing charts and sifting through survey results.

Salary: $27,478/year

8. Translator

Why it's quiet: Translators read written materials and translate them from one language into another. Because this position requires so much reading, writing, editing and analyzing, translators usually work alone. Many translators work from home and 22 percent of interpreters and translators are self-employed, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Salary: $42,229/year

9. Undertaker

Why it's quiet: With all due respect, your closest company in this profession is dead. Other than communicating with the family of the deceased to direct the funeral, you are pretty much guaranteed silence most of the time you work.

Salary: $42,278/year

10. Writers, Authors and technical writers

Why it's quiet: In the movies, we always see writers escaping to their beach houses, lodges in the mountains or sometimes a haunted hotel -- remember "The Shining"? -- for one purpose: to write a novel. It's not just a stereotype that writers and authors need peace and quiet to work (trust me, I know).

Technical writers are particularly quiet and concentrated, as they focus on putting industrial and scientific information into layman's terms. Remember that simple five-step instruction manual to put together your dresser? A technical writer made those directives as basic as possible, which was probably not an easy task in itself, but was made easier by solitude.

Salary: $42,786/year and $55,707/year, respectively

Next: Top 10 Companies Hiring This Week >>

*National average salary according CBSalary.com

Copyright 2009 CareerBuilder.com.

Filed under: Hot Jobs

AOL Jobs Contributor

Editor

AOL Jobs offers the most comprehensive source of jobs through its partnership with CareerBuilder.com. AOL Jobs is the place to go on the Internet for employment information, career advice and job-seeking tools.

If you would like to be a contributor on AOL Jobs, please send us an e-mail.

AC

Don't work for UPS... they will work you like a dog then pay you a sh*tty hourly wage...Five hours of work there feel like 15. I don't know how I possibly worked there for 3 years. The only worth while thing about the job is the benefits. I will give them that.

October 08 2009 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy

Driving a truck seems like the best way if you can handle actually driving it

September 26 2009 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
theoddestlot

Bernnie Madhoff had a quiet job!!!!

September 26 2009 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katse`

#3 is not an INTERIOR DESIGNER. It's an INTERIOR DECORATOR. An interior designer is an architect who designs interior spaces- walls, ceilings, ventilation, windows, etc. Not someone who decides what kind of furniture to buy.

September 26 2009 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angiebaby

Oh, geez! That Undertaker cracked me up! And I couldn't disagree more with the Interior Designer suggestion. To be successful there, you have to be able to schmooz, have the patience of Job, be an expert at networking and have the gift of gab on many levels. At any rate, I've known a few shy people, not to mention I was shy as a child. The only thing I know for sure about the shy people I've known is that still waters run deep.

If you have quiet ways, perhaps one of these career suggestions is right for you. But don't think shyness is a disease which limits you to working alone in the basement of your home on your computer!

September 26 2009 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lolalee

$8 - $15 is a decent pay for security - unfortunately you
can't pay someone $30.00 per hour for certain jobs just because the person thinks they are entitled to it. If you want good pay - go to school, invest in yourself and get a good career. That is the way you make money. If you want an Easy Job then it won't pay much.

September 26 2009 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caterina Pryde

I work as a professional tech writer and I would not agree with this statement at ALL. You need good social skills, you have to spend a lot of time talking with BAs and the development team, and it's hard to find work from home jobs doing this stuff!

September 26 2009 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mom3

I have been a self-employed licensed interior designer for 30 years and I work from home. I can tell you that any job you own requires many more hours than working for someone else. I am the designer, bookeeper, human resource, and phone screener. These stay at home jobs that say you can work very few hours are a joke. I work many more hours now than I did when I was employed by a large firm, But I love that I call all of the shots now. I do not have a regular salary and have to go get every job. This is not for the shy person who cannot sell themselves and their work.

September 26 2009 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
judie1941

Interesting postings here, and all of them civil and well written! I'm on the quiet side myself, and I have actually found that some of the most interesting people are those who are more reserved. It sometimes takes a while to get to know them, but it is often worth the effort. I drove a cab in DC for years, working the night shift, and despite the bad reputation cab drivers have,some of those fellow cabbies I worked with were great people. One reason for night drivers being nicer than day drivers: they didn't contend with as much TRAFFIC!

September 26 2009 at 6:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gr8bsn

Truck Driver/Delivery Driver is a great job! I am a fairly introverted person an driving a delivery van is how I paid for college. There's a common misconception that introverts have low self esteem or are shy. Not the case at all. We are deep thinkers and like to contemplate things without a lot of distraction. I have a good circle of close friends and a good family, but when I have the choice, I will always work on a solo project. I hate group projects and I hate being stuck on a team. It's just who I am. I'm tired of it being treated like it's a negative. The last time I checked, it takes all kinds of people to make the world work.

September 26 2009 at 6:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to gr8bsn's comment

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 13 - April 20

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.