Best Part-Time Jobs for 2009

CareerBuilder.com

best part time jobsThe new year is often tantamount with resolutions, goals and hope for a good year, personally and professionally. One way to make those hopes a reality is to improve your financial situation.

But how can that happen when so many people are getting laid off and companies are cutting budgets, bonuses and salary increases?

One way to boost your bank account is to take on a part-time job, which is defined as a position that requires working fewer than 35 hours per week, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. There are currently 25.5 million part-time workers, according to the BLS. In November 2008, the number of people who worked part time for economic reasons, meaning that they would like to work full time but couldn't because their hours had been cut back or because they were unable to, rose to 7.3 million.

The following part-time jobs are predicted to have substantial job growth or have a large number of available job openings.

As workers everywhere feel the effects of the slowing economy, more and more workers are turning to part-time work for help. The number of people looking for part-time labor in the first quarter of the year through the third quarter of the year increased from 1.3 to 1.5 million, respectively.

If you're looking for a way to boost your income, either by working part time in addition to your full-time job or as your only source of earnings, here are 10 part-time jobs that earn great wages, will experience job growth or have a large number of available job openings, according to the BLS.

Keep in mind, these jobs won't come easy -- you'll still have to earn any necessary credentials or training to obtain these positions. But, we guarantee your work will be worth the extra money.

1. Massage therapist

Part-time projection facts*:

• Almost 42 percent of all massage therapists worked part time in 2006.
  • Employment for massage therapists is expected to increase 20 percent from 2006 to 2016.
  • Job growth for massage therapists is expected to be faster than average with very good job prospects, particularly for those seeking part-time work.

Salary: $19.39/hour**

2. Fitness worker

Part-time projection facts:

• Many fitness jobs, such as trainers or exercise instructors, are part time.
  • Fitness workers should have good opportunities due to rapid job growth in health clubs, fitness facilities and other settings where fitness workers are concentrated.
  • Fitness worker employment is expected to increase 27 percent over the 2006-2016 decade.

Salary: 15.86/hour

3. Bill and account collector

Part-time projection facts:

• Many collectors work part time or on flexible work schedules.
  • Employment of these workers is expected to grow by 23 percent through 2016.
  • As cash flow becomes more important in business, companies are placing greater emphasis on collecting unpaid debts sooner, making job prospects favorable.

Salary: $15.21/hour

4. Librarian

Part-time projection facts:

• More than 20 percent of librarians work part time.
  • Despite slow economic growth, many librarians are expected to retire in the next decade, creating a large number of job openings.

Salary: $25.41

5. Nursing aide

Part-time projection facts:

• Nursing aides held approximately 1.4 million jobs in 2006.
  • Employment of nursing aides is expected to grow faster than average in the next decade.
  • In 2006, 23 percent of aides worked part time compared with 15 percent of all workers.

Salary: $11.50/hour

6. Receptionist and information clerk

Part-time projection facts:

• More than three of every 10 receptionists and information clerks work part time.
  • More than 200,000 new jobs will arise for these workers over the 2006-16 period.
  • Receptionists and information clerks are expected to increase by 17 percent from 2006 to 2016.

Salary: $11.82

7. Dental assistant

Part-time projection facts:

• About 35 percent of dental assistants worked part time in 2006.
  • Employment is expected to grow 29 percent from 2006 to 2016.
  • Dental assistants are estimated to be one of the fastest-growing occupations over the 2006-16 projection period.

Salary: $15.52/hour

8. Teacher assistant

Part-time projection facts:

• Teacher assistant employment is expected to grow by 10 percent between 2006 and 2016.
  • Approximately four in 10 teacher assistants work part time.
  • Teacher assistants held 1.3 million jobs in 2006.

Salary: $21,580/year

9. Cashier

Part-time projection facts:

• About 46 percent of all cashiers work part time.
  • Opportunities for full-time and part-time cashier jobs should be good because to replace the many workers who transfer to other occupations or leave the labor force.

Salary: $8.84/hour

10. Bank teller

Part-time projection facts:

• One in four tellers worked part time in 2006.
  • Employment should grow by 13 percent between 2006 and 2016.

Salary: $11.36/hour

Get free help updating your resume >>

Next: Top 10 Companies Hiring This Week >>

*Projections according to the BLS.
**Mean hourly wage, according to the BLS.
Filed under: Part-Time Jobs, Hot Jobs

AOL Jobs Contributor

Editor

AOL Jobs offers the most comprehensive source of jobs through its partnership with CareerBuilder.com. AOL Jobs is the place to go on the Internet for employment information, career advice and job-seeking tools.

If you would like to be a contributor on AOL Jobs, please send us an e-mail.

foreigntrade4

Wholesale Clothing Brands,Outdoor Jackets、Free Jackets、Down Jackets、Boots、The North Face、Canada Goose、Mamort、Mammut、Arcteryx、Columbia、Supras、Nike、Ugg、Asics...

October 11 2011 at 5:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shania

im 22 yrs old and dont have much of a work history..can i get a dentist asst. position?

December 01 2009 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shari

I have been a pharmacist for over 20 years and between my job, house and family, never had time for myself. I started a home-based business in March with Agel. I'm already making money and the products are life-changing. One of the people taking FLX (a product for joint pain) is 17 and was born with bilateral clubfoot. She had 9 surgeries and has been in pain all her life. She is pain free after 4 days. It's amazing. If anyone is interested please contact me. ThinkAgel@aol.com It changed my life and maybe I can help you change yours!

September 11 2009 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karenburns

This was a great article, I wish AOL would have kept it up longer. It is very relivant to the times. Im sure alot of people want to keep up on SJP why I dont know, please put this up again it is fun to see what others are doing for work. Workers Compensation would not pay to remove the mercury I got on my job, so I doubt I will ever be able to work again. I still have hopes too. I miss working and I liked other peoples ideas.

January 14 2009 at 8:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

What about registered nurses? I work part-time and make more than all of those jobs listed! The 2 years of communiity college was a bargain!

January 13 2009 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Colleen

Yes, network marketing can be a very lucrative and enjoyable way to increase your revenue. And there are many to choose from! Be careful and due your research. How much money does the company want you to invest? How long have they been in business? Do they have good training to help you get started (and is it free!) Ask about the pay plan. Does it seem complicated? Make sure ALL of your questions are answered fully. Do you like the product? It helps if you BELIEVE in the product(s).
I did my research when I became ill and realized I had to work for myself. I found the best product in its category that has helped me with my health issues. I now have helped so many others - and I make a living doing it!

Take a moment to see for yourself:
www.fptoz.gotvia.com/presentations.html

Best of luck

January 13 2009 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christy

This is helpful to many people and comes with helpful information. But, I too would love to know what states pay Teachers Assistants and/or Paraprofessionals that amount for part time work in the school systems???? Thank you

January 13 2009 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary Betsworth

Better Business Bureau doesn't help a lot with these kinds of companies...

If you are looking into a multi-level marketing company,
This website is an excellent resource, he is an attorney:

Rod Cook, Online MLM Atty: http://www.mlmwatchdog.com

Also,if you'd like to learn more about me:

January 13 2009 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

Librarian as part time job? That job REQUIRES a masters degree. That is 6 years of college for a 25,000. a year salary- Please.

January 13 2009 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

After being a Certified Dental Assistant for 19 years and moving up to Office Manager for the next 6 years I finally got out of that business for good. It almost cost me my sanity and my life. Dentist for the most part are nuts. Plus I can promise you that the pay is LOW. Dental Assistants are nothing more than glorified Maids. Only one office I ever worked in had janitorial service and that was because it was in a hospital. The work is rewarding when you actually help someone. But it is also back breaking, bending over someone and holding that position for long periods of time.I am so glad I escaped with my sanity and my life. I am so much happier now then I was back then. I wouldn't go back to it for any reason. I would advise anyone considering becoming a Dental Assistant to think twice and maybe even a third time. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

January 13 2009 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 20 - April 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.