10 More Jobs You Can Have at Home

work from homeHow would you like to work from home? No hustling out the door 10 minutes late, no fighting your road rage or battling for the last seat on the train, no fast food lunch and no noisy co-workers. Sounds like heaven, doesn't it?

More than ever, workers are attracted to the 30-second commute, thanks to social and economic trends. Technologies necessary for setting up a home office are widely available, relatively inexpensive and getting easier for people to use. And more workers are seeking flexible schedules to care for children and aging parents.

Many people associate working from home with starting a home-based business and becoming an entrepreneur, but more and more employers are offering this option to workers in order to attract and retain top employees. In fact, 7.6 million employees conduct work from home every month.

Don't fret, there are jobs that you can find with established employers. Even if the job is advertised as office-based, these positions are telework-friendly and could be in your future.

1. Administrative Assistant

Also known as virtual assistants, home-based administrative assistants use office experience and computer skills as support personnel. Many skills easily transition into this position which offers many part-time and temporary opportunities.

2. Advertising Sales Agent

It's said that Americans are exposed to more than 3,000 ad messages a day. Advertising sales representatives sell or solicit advertising space in print and online publications, custom-made signs, or TV and radio advertising spots.

3. Computer Software Engineer

Computer software engineers are projected to be one of the fastest growing occupations over the 2002-2012 period. Duties include design, development, testing and evaluation of computer software, and continual training is suggested for the quickly evolving industry.

4. Corporate Event Planner

Employed by a private company rather than a hotel or convention facility, a corporate event planner coordinates staff activities, including group meetings, client presentations, special events, conventions and travel.

5. Copy Editor

Copy editors mostly review and edit a writer's copy for accuracy, content, grammar and style. This is a competitive field; however, the growth of online publications and services is spurring the demand for writers and editors, especially those with Web experience.

6. Desktop Publisher

Desktop publishers use computer software to format and combine text, images, charts and other visual elements to produce publication-ready material. Duties of this fast-growing profession include writing and editing text, creating graphics, converting photos and drawings into digital images, designing page layouts and developing presentations.

7. Data Entry Clerk

Like administrative assistants, job prospects should be best for those with expertise in computer software applications. By typing text, entering data into a computer, and performing other clerical duties, these workers ensure companies keep up with information and technology.

8. Insurance Underwriter

Insurance underwriters serve as the main link between the insurance carrier and the insurance agent. Underwriters analyze insurance applications, calculate the risk of loss from policyholders, decide whether to issue the policy and establish appropriate premium rates.

9. Market Research Analyst

Market research analysts gather data on competitors and analyze prices, sales and methods of marketing and distribution. They often design surveys, compile and evaluate the data and make recommendations to their client or employer based upon their findings.

10. Paralegal

While lawyers assume ultimate responsibility for legal work, much of their work is delegated to paralegals. Paralegals not only assist in preparation for closings, hearings, trials and corporate meetings, they also perform a number of other vital functions, including draft contracts, mortgages, separation agreements, trust instruments and may assist in preparing tax returns and planning estates.

If you want to make the case to a potential employer or your boss to let you work from home, keep a few things in mind. If possible, provide concrete examples of how this arrangement was successful in the past or how it will succeed. Suggest that you ease into it -- spending a few days to a few weeks in the office at the outset, meeting people and getting to know procedures. Then, during the first three to six months on the new job, make frequent visits.

Copyright 2005 CareerBuilder.com. All rights reserved. The information contained in this article may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without prior written authority.

andcustomhomes

I have been working from home for 12 years and love it! Contrary to popular believe, there really are thousands of free, no scam, no mlm work from home, telecommuting jobs out there. The key is knowing where to find them and following two important rules.

First, never pay for a job, they should pay you plain and simple. Second, if it sounds too good to be true, it is. Now, where do you find the jobs? There is a wonderful no scam, no fee online job database called the "Legitimate Online JobDirectory" at http://www.LegitimateOnlineJobDirectory.com. I do freelance work for many of the companies listed there.

Another place to find good work from home jobs is flexjobs.com as mentioned above. You can also search the major job sites like Careerbuilder, Simply Hired and Indeed. Just be sure to follow the rules above.

I hope this helps!

August 21 2012 at 11:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
claudette

Times are difficult but there is hope for those who really want a change. The record shows that now is a good time to starting a home business. If you are honest want to work for a thriving business who carries NASA certified products visit www.ecoquestintl.com/pmcg. You will be richly rewarded. Helping others live a healthier life while
helping yourself financially is a sure way to a healthier, happier
life. This my be just what you have been looking for.

www.ecoquestintl.com/pmcg

May 15 2009 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kim

i too am looking for a work at home job i have a regluar job looking to cut my hours and stay at home with my 3year old!! i dont want something that has a start up fee!!!

May 04 2009 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara Wolf

I am a recruiter and have been working at home. I would like to work with a company as things have been slow. I could work on a contigency basis. I like recruiting underwriters, but also love recruiting management to administrative.

April 21 2009 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara Wolf

I have been a recruiter for 18 years from my home. Lately with the industry so slow, I am not getting most of the orders, that I use to. I would be willing to recruit on a contigency basis. I would like recruiting administrative candidates as Oi use to do that and loved it. I have only been doing higher quality candidates and I think, I am burned out.

April 21 2009 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry Parks

Hello,
Is there anyone out there willing to mentor or coach me at a home based business? I have been searching for over a year now, to no avail.Most home based business require a mentor or coach to learn all the ropes quickly.I have dabbled in a couple of them and made a few dollars and it was just not enough.Right now I am earning extra income by selling on Ebay.I have been doing this for the last 5 years.My wife and I also operate our own business.We have had an appliance and variety store for the last 18 years.We buy, sell, and repair all major appliances.New and used.We also sell a variety of items such as, furniture,housewares,toys,hardware,and lots of misc.items.
I would love to here from anyone who would be willing to mentor,coach,or turn me on to a legitimate,reliable,& reasonable home based business.

Thank You Very Much !!

March 23 2009 at 9:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Terry Parks's comment
karina stroub

HI Terry
I am an independant consultant for Southern Living at Home and I am recruitting.We are owned by the same company that owns the magazine.We are also a member of the DSA.Check out my website and see if it interests you. I can also mail you more info. At SLAH we are all about spoiling our customers and consultants.
Our incentive trip this summer will be to Cancun, Mexico.
Talk about vacation!
Talk to you soon.
www.southernlivingathome.com/karinastroub
Karina

March 24 2009 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kimberly

Hi Terry,
I work for a 100% legitimate and perfect home based business. It is ideal for what is going on this economy today. We recieve daily pay, 401K, AD&D policies, and a monthly residual check...along with numerous other benefits. All tools and training is free!! Our company is 17 years old and has top credentials. I am an excellent mentor and would love to coach you. Please visit my site and contact me at http://www.gottagetresiduals.com

March 25 2009 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry Parks

Hello,
I have been looking for a home based business for over a year now.I have found quite a few, but to no avail.They almost always end up being a scam.Some of them are samplesfromhome,rebateprocessor,dataentry.That is just a few that I have tried.Every time I get to the part of giving out my credit card number I always chicken out.
Is there anyone out there that would be willing to be a paid mentor or a coach?I think now, that is the only way to go.I am a quick learner.Right now I earn some extra part time money by selling on Ebay for the last 5 years.I also have run my own business for the last 18 years.It is an appliance sales and repair service,and also a variety store.New and used appliances and merchandise.I would much rather work at home in my latter years.I am 55, and ready to take some well deserved vacations.
Would love to here from someone willing to show me the ropes of a home based business.
you can reach me at (hkpsappls@att.net)

Terry

March 23 2009 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alexis

I make money by signing folks up with this awesome at-home business... and I take vacations. I'm only 24.. If I can do it, so can you:

March 10 2009 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bill

lets You Earn $300+ Per Day Taking Simple Digital Photos
Of Real Estate, Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc. In Your Local Area!
Computer, Internet Access And Digital Camera Required. Huge,
Virtually Unknown Nationwide Industry! That means you can
even take your children with you to work ;) 479-437-5491

March 09 2009 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anne Nix

What if you could have financial freedom within one year !! Staying at home - getting online once a day - or once a week !!It's your company - work when you want to.. Your website is built for you, no charge...no selling - no picking up orders - no inventory - just lie back and watch the money come to you !! THIS IS POSSIBLE !!! Go to my website - enroll as a new enrollee - and see how mouch money is possible for you...you will NEVER regret this career change.www.vemmabuilder.com/18603187

March 08 2009 at 4:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply